• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wrinkly Chocolates

Stephanie Wallace

I need to know how to get my chocolate NOT to look all wrinkled like that!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

yup - after the curtain in the enrober, while the piece is still on the belt, there will be a 'blower'. typically you can control the airspeed, and it's main purpose is to remove excess chocolate so you don't have 60% chocolate, 40% center, but something more appropriate. Note that the air must not be hot air, or you'll detemper your chocolate. Also, you'll need a chocolate with a fairly high yield value on it - if the YV is too low, those ripples will simply fall back on themselves and you'll be back at where you started...

Using a blow dryer may not be the best idea, when you consider t hat you are blowing hot air onto tempered chocolate. Unless you have one that blows cold air. I learned in school to blow on them with you mouth. This may not sound like the most sanitary solution, especially if you’re going to be selling them. But if they are for you, I don’t see any problem.

• 2 weeks later...

you can also place a structure sheet on top of them after they have been enrobed

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I ended up using a hair-dryer, though I'd like to find an air gun with a slightly more focused beam.

bripastryguy: Unfortunately, there is no way to use a transfer sheet without creating both a difference in sheen and a noticeable edge.

EDIT: I cannot type.

Edited by Melange (log)

Formerly known as "Melange"