• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When open-pour bottles are banned

Ktepi

Sorry for the awkward phrasing, I'm not sure how to sum up my question. Wikitravel says this in an entry about Charleston:

Open-pour bottles have recently been legalized in bars and restaurants, but many establishments will continue to use mini-bottles. This is important to remember, since your drinks will have an entire mini-bottle of each liquor in the recipe. Be careful when ordering.

If I understand that right, when open-pour bottles were banned, minis had to be used, and used in their entirety when making a drink? Wouldn't that have an enormous effect on the drinks available to a bartender? Nevermind the Aviation, even the Sidecar and a properly made Margarita would be thrown off if a 1:1 ratio had to be used for its constituent liquors -- and while it would be easy enough to make a pitcher of Margaritas with miniatures, a pitcher of Sidecars seems unlikely.

Is this some archaic blue law, something that's still enforced in parts of the country, or am I entirely misunderstanding it?

I believe South Carolina is/was the last state with this law on the books.

Only mini-bottles, and you must use the whole thing in the drink.

I'd hate to imagine a long island iced tea there.

6 oz of liquor?

Ouch.

edit - I first heard about this on a Daily Show Segment Samantha Bee did a couple years ago. Very funny, the segment was called "1/5 Amendment".

1/5 Amendment (Direct link to Comedy Central Media Player)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I believe South Carolina is/was the last state with this law on the books.

Only mini-bottles, and you must use the whole thing in the drink.

I'd hate to imagine a long island iced tea there.

6 oz of liquor?

Ouch.

edit - I first heard about this on a Daily Show Segment Samantha Bee did a couple years ago.  Very funny, the segment was called "1/5 Amendment".

1/5 Amendment (Direct link to Comedy Central Media Player)

Long Island Iced Teas? Doea anyone actually old enough to drink legally drink them?

Scotch. As with so many other things, Scotch is the answer.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Long Island Iced Teas? Doea anyone actually old enough to drink legally drink them?

I hear they're all the rage among sophisticated high school and college students in North Carolina.

:laugh:

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Sorry for the awkward phrasing, I'm not sure how to sum up my question.  Wikitravel says this in an entry about Charleston:

Open-pour bottles have recently been legalized in bars and restaurants, but many establishments will continue to use mini-bottles. This is important to remember, since your drinks will have an entire mini-bottle of each liquor in the recipe. Be careful when ordering.

If I understand that right, when open-pour bottles were banned, minis had to be used, and used in their entirety when making a drink?  Wouldn't that have an enormous effect on the drinks available to a bartender?  Nevermind the Aviation, even the Sidecar and a properly made Margarita would be thrown off if a 1:1 ratio had to be used for its constituent liquors -- and while it would be easy enough to make a pitcher of Margaritas with miniatures, a pitcher of Sidecars seems unlikely.

Is this some archaic blue law, something that's still enforced in parts of the country, or am I entirely misunderstanding it?

Freepour is legal, but you need to purchase a license to do it. Many bars don't bother. Most people drink shots and highballs, which lend themselves to minibottles.

Edited by mbanu (log)