• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porcini Mushrooms

merstar

If your looking for dried porcinis I would call The Spice House in Chicago. They are located on Wells ave, which happens to be next door to my business. I buy excellent dried mushrooms of all varities from them on a regular basis. They are of great quality and are VERY resonably priced. You should be able to find the number on line. If you need, I could run next door and get the information for you.

Jim

The Spice House has an online store, but for some reason no porcini are to be found there. I've had good experiences ordering stuff from Di Bruno Brothers, chefshop, Earthy Delights, D'Italia. I'm too lazy to paste in all the links, but you can find them easily enough. I did a quick Froogle search and came up with this. I can't vouch for this outfit, but they certainly have some pretty attractive prices. A whole pound of what look to be very nice dried porcini for only $32. I see a lot of frozen porcini in the results from my Froogle search. Has anyone used them? Are they any good? This place has a pound of frozen porcini for $18.90. I didn't look at the shipping costs though.

If your looking for dried porcinis I would call The Spice House in Chicago. They are located on Wells ave, which happens to be next door to my business. I buy excellent dried mushrooms of all varities from them on a regular basis. They are of great quality and are VERY resonably priced. You should be able to find the number on line. If you need, I could run next door and get the information for you.

Jim

Thanks a lot, Jim, but unfortunately "The Hersch" is right - no porcini can be found on their site. Maybe I should just call them and find out what the prices are.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

The Spice House has an online store, but for some reason no porcini are to be found there. I've had good experiences ordering stuff from Di Bruno Brothers, chefshop, Earthy Delights, D'Italia. I'm too lazy to paste in all the links, but you can find them easily enough. I did a quick Froogle search and came up with this.  I can't vouch for this outfit, but they certainly have some pretty attractive prices. A whole pound of what look to be very nice dried porcini for only $32. I see a lot of frozen porcini in the results from my Froogle search. Has anyone used them? Are they any good? This place has a pound of frozen porcini for $18.90. I didn't look at the shipping costs though.

Thanks for the link - I agree, the prices look great!

This is where I get mine.  A simple search on google will bring up may other online stores as well but I've been happy with the quality from this place.

http://www.jrmushroomsandspecialties.com/

Hey Bob, I notice they have 3 grades of porcinis. Which one(s) do you get? Thanks.

I would give Gustiamo.com a try. Nice people and they are very picky about their products.

Thanks, Judith, but $20.00 for 1.8 oz is way too high! They're even much higher than my local supermarket, but thank you anyway - I do appreciate your help.

This is where I get mine.  A simple search on google will bring up may other online stores as well but I've been happy with the quality from this place.

Hey Bob, I notice they have 3 grades of porcinis. Which one(s) do you get? Thanks.

I get the AA's. They are very strong so it doesn't take much to go a long way. I probably would go for the AB for misc stuff but I don't use a whole lot and they don't have any smaller sizes than 16 ounces for the AB. Maybe I will some day.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I get the AA's. They are very strong so it doesn't take much to go a long way. I probably would go for the AB for misc stuff but I don't use a whole lot and they don't have any smaller sizes than 16 ounces for the AB. Maybe I will some day.

Okay, thanks a lot!

• 4 weeks later...

Wherever you buy 'porcini', please make sure of provenance, whether South American, Italian, Polish, other East European, other.

Some Chilean boletus are fine for ordinary use. If that suits your needs, here is a place that sells them for about $18/lb for whole mushrooms, dry.

http://www.yourdelight.com

European origin fungi are twice this, from the same vendor.

Edited by v. gautam (log)