• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Joni

Preventing cakes from falling in the middle

34 posts in this topic

Thanks! I will definitely try this out next time. What gets me is that the sides form up perfect every time...

Nicholas, the reason for the sides being good is that they cook faster than the middle of the cake, so the middle is where the gas has a place to go and expand.

3 people like this

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I just bought some cake bands that you wet and place around your pans, they hook together with Velcro and are supposed to make cakes bake more evenly and flat. Haven't used them yet, but was told about them at a Taste of Home cooking demo by the chef.

1 person likes this

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

The center is fully bakes, albeit a bit more moist than the rest of the cake. I can't use a tube pan because I cut the cake into 3 layers to make a 7 layer cake. Dumb question, what is a heating core?

I just bought some cake bands that you wet and place around your pans, they hook together with Velcro and are supposed to make cakes bake more evenly and flat. Haven't used them yet, but was told about them at a Taste of Home cooking demo by the chef.

Let me know if they work!!!

Nicholas, the reason for the sides being good is that they cook faster than the middle of the cake, so the middle is where the gas has a place to go and expand.

Thanks! What got me this time is when I went to check the cake to see if it was done, I gently touched the middle of the cake and right then, it deflated noticeably...

1 person likes this

The center is fully bakes, albeit a bit more moist than the rest of the cake. I can't use a tube pan because I cut the cake into 3 layers to make a 7 layer cake. Dumb question, what is a heating core?

The reason that your cake bakes faster on the sides than in the centre is that the sides are in contact with more hot metal. A heating core, or cake nail, or flower nail, inserted into the centre of the cake, conducts heat upwards there at the same rate that it's conducted to the sides. This means that the entire cake bakes at the same rate - and voila! No more sunken centers.

1 person likes this

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Heating core:

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=8098&step=4

To use it: "Grease and flour the heating core on the inside and the outside, place in the centre of the pan (with the opening facing up), fill with batter to the same level as the pan, and bake. After removing from the oven, remove the cake from inside the core, plug the hole in the cake, trim, and ice."

Flower nail:

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1013&step=4

To use the flower nail, you place it in the middle of the pan with flat side down, and the point sticking out of the batter. I have used one of these, and can attest that it works.

Same for the cake strips/ cake bands teagal mentions. I routinely use those and get much less doming in my cakes, so there's less to trim off when layering.

• Similar Content

• By ltjazz
      Hey all,

I've made thicker and creamier sorbets with 25% to 35% sugar strained fruit purees and sugar, syrups, and other stabilizers that have worked well. However, because it's so much fruit and little to no water it can be an expensive project.

I am trying to make "Water Ice" or "Italian Ice" in my home ice cream machine. Think of textures similar to Rita's Water Ice, Court Pastry Shop, or Miko's in Chicago. It eats much lighter than a sorbet but isn't really icy, but it's also not thick like sorbet. Ritas uses "flavoring" and sugar, while the other two use fruit juice. I'm thinking of thinning the strained fruit juice with water and adding a stabilizer, but I'm having trouble getting this in my home ice cream machine without it freezing solid like granita.

Can anyone suggest a way to use real fruit juice, water, and a combination and concentration of stabilizers to get a looser, frozen fruit dessert that isn't icy?
    • By Lam
      So I've been looking for the ultimate matcha brownies (technically blondies but it just doesn't have the same ring to it). I've made chewy and fudgy regular brownies, but I find white chocolate based blondies to be much trickier. I have made a few matcha brownie recipes in the past, but they all came out sad and cakey. So I have taken it upon myself to come up with my own recipe. My matcha brownies came out very moist and "fudgy" but not chewy. I'm thinking next time I should try using vegetable oil instead of butter and only dark brown sugar. 

• By Mette
      I've searched high and low for a recipe for lemon mousse, firm enough to make little 'eggs' to go on a dessert plate. Ideally, it should not be based on lemon curd or lemon cream, but just plain old lemons.
      Also, please throw me the best chocolate mousse recipe EVER - I'm in a mousse phase....
      Thanks in advance.
    • By B Edulis
      Once again, I tried to recreate my mother's shortbread cookies, using her recipe, and they didn't turn out. They were so crumbly they fell apart when you picked them up. I'm very attached to this particular recipe -- she told me that she got it from the first boy who ever kissed her, whose Scottish mother was renowned for them. That's one way to get a recipe!) She made them at all holidays. Here the recipe:
      1 cup of butter
      1/2 cup of sugar
      2 cups of flour
      pinch salt
      I've been creaming the butter and suger and adding the flour, chilling it and rolling it out and baking them at about 300 degrees. They spread more than hers did and they're just way crumbly. The taste is good, though.
      I wish I could as her for advice, but she's no longer with us -- can anyone help me?
    • By maui420
      last night was my first attempt at a blueberry coffecake. it came out awesome but i felt that the topping part could be better. basicall, from the top of my head, it was 1 cup of brown sugar, 2/3 c flour, 1/2 cup of small diced up butter, and some cinnamon.
      the topping came out ok but seemed a little "grainy" like sandy and didnt have that crumbly bubbly style top.
      suggestions? thanks. will post pics next time.