• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Volcano cooking

jgm

OK, what's the most unusual cooking technique you've ever used? Is it more exotic than this?

If ever in my life I'm going to encounter anyone who's actually done this, surely it will be on eGullet.

It's on my list of things to do before I die. :biggrin:

That looks really interesting, not to mention exciting. Beats boiling eggs in geothermal hot spring water. I'd like to try that only with pork. :)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Hmm. Well its not as cool as that but I know a way to take a carrot from raw to glazed in about 30 seconds.

1) put a pan on a burner and crank it up as high as it will go.

2) peel about 6 baby carrots. Immerse them in half a cup of water.

3) to the water add 1 TBS butter. 3 Tbs Sugar. 1 TBS salt.

4) When the pan is so hot your worried that a hole is going to burn through it add the water and carrot mixture.

5) stand back.

The carrots will glaze very quickly. And the liquid while its reducing looks like mercury as is rolling around in the pan. This is the strangest technique I employ on a daily basis. I call it TURBO COOKING!

Beautiful and fascinating---one of the glories of Nature. Thank you for sharing.

I just wonder how many disposable shovels they had to haul up that lava field and sacrifice to the cooking of one little hen. That lunch must have been more costly than five hours at FL.

Wow. What wouldn't we give for a Kitchen View of THAT one.

When I was young and stupid we used to sit in the water in Rabaul harbour in New Britain (before the place was destroyed by a huge volcanic eruption) and do boil in the bag over the hotter spots erupting from the shallows. Occasionally burned our butts...much merriment...if I knew my kids were doing something similar I would kick their butts.

Interesting you mention this, as last night I was watching 'David Rocco' on food network (one of the few shows I enjoy anymore from this station) and they were visiting a natural hot springs, and he was cooking on volcanic mud...just using the tent tin foil method, he made a porcini dish and a clam dish...pretty cool actually.