• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Becherovka - Herb liqueur from the Czech Republic

evo-lution

http://www.becherovka.cz/en/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becherovka

Just back from my local bar, and one of the bartenders there had taken a bottle of this liqueur back over from a visit home to the Czech Republic. Just wondered if anyone here has came across this stuff before?!?

I sampled a little of it (i'm full of the cold just now so my sense of smell and taste bud's aren't the best, :angry: ) and I was pleasantly surprised. Can't wait to get rid of this cold and try it in some cocktails.

On the nose, you get a strong aroma of star anise/clove, with light hints of liquorice/cinnamon.

On tasting, you get the initial sweet flavour's of cinnamon, which is slowly followed by the warming/spiced notes of cinnamon, star anise and clove.

It has a long, herbacious (is this even a word?!? :unsure:) finish, not dis-similar to the finish you get with Pernod/Absinthe/Chartreuse/etc./etc.

Very, very interesting liqueur. Once i've shaken the cold off, i'll try again in some drinks and let you know what I think...

S'laters,

Adam

Edited by evo-lution (log)

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

I have tasted this fantastic drink when I ate at Slovakia Restaurant here in Atlanta, Georgia .. I wanted to meet the owners, the Benciks, and try their food after a trip to Budapest and Prague earlier in the year ... the owner and chef, Stefan, insisted that we try this drink and it blew us away!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Someone gave me a small bottle of this. The spices evo-lution noted in Becherova are an obvious match for fall fruit. It worked really well as the sweet component in a drink I call the Spiced Pair:

1.25 oz Belle de Brillet

1.00 oz Bacardi 8

0.50 oz Becherova

0.75 oz lemon juice

Shake well with ice and serve in a chilled cocktail glass.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Another cocktail with Becherovka is the Beton:

ice

4 cl Becherovka

top up with tonic and lemon juice

twist of citron

The Becherovka recipe / herb mixture is apparently a highly guarded secret. Czechs going on trips abroad often pack a bottle of Becherovka, as Americans might pack Pepto... :biggrin:

Nazdravi!

Ditto. I actually like it better than Pernod as stomach defragmenter after a big meal.

Oh, yes! I tried way too much of it when in Prague!  :wacko:

same here. national drink of the czech republic i was told after quite a few. . course, my memory could be a little fuzzy.

• 1 year later...
It's actually widely available at liquor stores in NY..and I imagine elsewhere in the U.S. as well.

Yes, in Chicago it sells for about $17/bottle.

I have been playing with cocktail recipes using this stuff, in any one else has recipes to share, i am all ears with shaker at the ready.

-James

My new book is, "Destination: Cocktails", from Santa Monica Press! http://www.destinationcocktails.com

Please see http://www.tydirium.net for information on all of my books, including "Tiki Road Trip", and "Big Stone Head", plus my global travelogues, and more!

THIS is what I had after dinner in Prague!!!! Thanks for putting a name with my memory.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope