• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mia's Top Ten

canucklehead

Congrats Rare and the rest of the top ten.

THE BEST

Rare

1355 Hornby St., 604-669-1256

THE REST

Gastropod

1938 West Fourth, 604-730-5579

La Regalade Cote Mer

5775 Marine Dr., West Vancouver

604-921-9701

FigMint

500 West 12th Ave., 604-875-3312

Salt

45 Blood Alley, 604-633-1912

Ocean Club

100 Park Royal, South Mall

West Vancouver, 604-926-2326

Kingyo

871 Denman St., 604-608-1677

Crave

3941 Main St., 604-872-3663

Sanafir

1026 Granville St., 604-678-1049

Beyond

Century Plaza Hotel

1015 Burrard St., 604-684-3474

Here's the rest of the Article

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I am very pleased...

BUT!

I am pleased because of the reasons Mia picked Rare.

It is a statement of where the Vancouver food scene is going. We have some of the best service, rooms and product in the world, but it is now time for all of us (in the industry ~ and the customer) to step up the technical excellence of what we are plating.

Vancouver is/is going to be a leader in the world food scene soon.

We all (restaurants and customers) have a lot of work a head of us. It is going to be a fun time in Vancouver over the next ten years!

Post Script: Eat at Fuel!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Congratulations Chef Fowke, after yesterday your guys phones must of been ringing twice as much, looking forward to dinner next week. The article was a good read yesterday during lunch.

What are your thoughts on fuel? My cousin called me a couple days ago and said he wants to check it out, but only once dineout is over. Any recomendations?

*yes I know they are not participating in dineout..

Edited by D90 (log)

Congratulations Brian and Tim, as well as Sean Heather!! Great review! I hope Mia is thought to be more reliable than some of the other restaurant critics so many more people will visit but either way, the press definitely can't hurt.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

So neither West nor Lumiere is one of Vancouver's top ten restaurants?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Okay, it's just confusing because the title of the linked page is "Vancouver's Top 10 Restaurants."

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Okay, it's just confusing because the title of the linked page is "Vancouver's Top 10 Restaurants."

Well Steven, I guess you'd have to ask the writer about that. It could be she feels Lumiere & West (and Tojo's, C, etc etc etc) didn't make the cut this year. However, considering each restaurant on the list is new, I'd say Canucklehead has it correct.

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Since Rare was at the top of Ms. Stainsby's list, I knew she must be a woman of good taste. On the basis of that hunch I went for lunch at Figmint a couple of times and loved it. I've sampled the smoked trout salad, cormeal crusted calamari, and the chicken snitzel. I found the dishes inventive, witty and full of flavour. The chocolate tasting for dessert is incredible: white pot du creme, chocolate fig cake, and a tiny cup of unbelievably creamy spicy hot chocolate with a homemade marshmallow.

The first day I visited Figmint, the waitress (tall and blonde) was the best I've ever had in the city. Her attention to detail was fascinating. I will definitely be working my way through the lunch menu over the next few months. Top marks for value, presentation and service.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Kingyo IS my new favourite Izakaya. Gorgeous room and such great staff. Every dish I've had so far, I've thoroughly enjoyed.

The wine list and sake list are interesting as well.

Bonus that it's a short stumble home :raz:

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina