• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin 2007

Ok, here are my predictions:

Petrus up to 2*

Tom Aikens up to 2*

La Noisette 1*

La Tompette a possible 1* (although I hope not as I don;t feel it is worth it)

Le Champignion Sauvage up to 3* (it certainly deserves it)

Possible 1* for Pearl

Star or Bibe Gourmand for Arbutus

Possible star for the Wolseley

Star for L'atelier du Joel Robuchon

Probably way off the mark, but ther you go! Am guessing it is too early for St.Alban and Scotts, but maybe next year?!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Are we perhaps bored with guessing each year? My eating out this year has been curtailed somewhat due some family issues but I have had some good meals.

The Sportsman - if ever a "pub" deserved a Michelin star this is it.

The Greenhouse - If Michelin are unconcerned regarding Antonin Bonnet's short tenure then my one meal there was worthy of 2 stars.

I've probably jinxed those two now so I'll keep quiet about any other suspicions I have.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Possible 1* for Pearl

Possible star for the Wolseley

I probably don't eat out often enough to know much about this, but I agree that Pearl definitely deserves a star - had two cracking meals there this year (service way too slow though).

On the other hand, much as I love the Wolseley, I can't see how what is basically overpriced comfort food warrants a star. The service however is excellent.

I agree with Matthew that The Greenhouse deserves a second star (although I only had one meal there this year so can't speak as to consistency).

I hope Arbutus gets a star - as many have noted it should if there is any justice in the world of Michelin!

L'atelier is less deserving but no doubt will get one.

I would like to see L'Enclume get a second star but think this is unlikely.

Hibiscus also deserves a third star although they will probably have to wait until after the move down south.

If a recent showing is anything to go by the Trouble House in Tetbury should lose its star.

I hope Arbutus gets a star - as many have noted it should if there is any justice in the world of Michelin!

L'atelier is less deserving but no doubt will get one.

I would like to see L'Enclume get a second star but think this is unlikely.

Hibiscus also deserves a third star although they will probably have to wait until after the move down south.

Arbutus getting a star is highly likely, but undeserved.

L'atelier won't.

L'Enclume won't.

Hibiscus hasn't been the same since they had the baby. Won't get a 3rd star.

Just my pennies worth.

Can't see Tom Aikens getting a 2nd star on the basis of the reports I've heard here and elsewhere.

Arbutus for a bib gourmand.

Couldn't see the Wolseley with a star.

Bacchus for a star! OK I don't really think it will get one - not sufficiently michelinny (?)

Has Galvin Bistro Deluxe got a BG?

Edited by Gavin Convery (log)

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

Galvin's Bistro Deluxe does indeed have a BG

I agree with you Champagne Sadie that Arbutus doesn't deserve a star, IMHO it should be a BG - interesting that you feel L'atelier is a no chance - with the way Michelin work I would have thought it a guaranteed star

Re: Tom Aikens - despite what some reports say, I have had some fantastic meals there, and their bread and cheese board are truly divine!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

" Hibiscus hasn't been the same since they had the baby. Won't get a 3rd star. "

I would be very interested to know what you base this theory on and how you come to such a bizarre conclusion?

UP:

L'enclume 2*

Anthony's 1*

Sat Bains 2*

Midsummer House 3*

Mint (Dublin) 1*

DOWN:

Fat Duck 2*

Locatelli's 0*

Gordon Ramsey2*

L'ecrivain 0*

Yes, yes, I like an outside bet :rolleyes:

UP:

Mint (Dublin) 1*

I think it deserves it, but I doubt it will get it. I think it's too soon, but I hope I'm proved wrong.

DOWN:

Fat Duck 2*

Locatelli's 0*

Gordon Ramsey2*

L'ecrivain 0*

:biggrin: Heh!

Si

[Edited to fixed quote formatting]

Edited by Simon_S (log)

" Hibiscus hasn't been the same since they had the baby. Won't get a 3rd star. "

I would be very interested to know what you base this theory on and how you come to such a bizarre conclusion?

Er, that would be by eating there very regularly over the last 4 years. How else would I know? :wacko:

As have I, but the question I am asking is how you can conclude the birth of a child is correlated with a restaurant not being as good? I have heard of restaurants slipping due to bad management, poor quality ingredients, sloppy service, high prices etc. But having a baby??

Again you may 'not think it the same' but how do you conclude it is due to having a baby. I am genuinely intrigued.

That's a whole new thread "how having a baby affects performance"

1) lack of sleep (chefs don't get much anyway)

2) change in priorities (it's only food, i have created a human!)

3) mothers giving up work

3) can also be positive,"we have more responsibilties now,Must make sure we bring in the money eg you work harder.

of course this applies to any industry

Er, that would be by eating there very regularly over the last 4 years. How else would I know? :wacko:

Again you may 'not think it the same' but how do you conclude it is due to having a baby. I am genuinely intrigued.

OK.

Prior to the baby, Claude and Claire had the restaurant as their total focus - their “baby” so to speak. Every waking moment of theirs was spent in the restaurant, and Claude would spend many hours in the kitchen devising new recipes and experimenting with food. Meals I ate prior to the baby were outstanding, and at times had a significant amount of wow factor.

Since the baby, Claude and Claire spend more time together as a family unit, they’ve told me so. Many of the items on the menu are tried and tested older recipes, and a tasting menu taken this summer held no new dishes for me, when on previous visits every dish I ate would be a new dish.

Saying all this, I consider Hibiscus to be in my top 15 of worldwide restaurants, and I think that the move to London, coupled with increased competition will be the making of Claude.

I hope this is satisfactory.

Sadie.

" UP:

L'enclume  2*

Anthony's 1*

Sat Bains 2*

Midsummer House 3*

Mint (Dublin) 1*"

I'm interested to hear that you think Sat Bains deserves a second star - I have heard a lot of good reviews of this place since it reopened following the change of ownership and refurb. I'm going in Feb and very much looking forward to it - have you tried the extended "surprise" or "bespoke" menus?

I'd almost guarantee that Hibiscus won't get a 3rd star and it's nothing to do with the quality of the food, simply that they are about to move and will no doubt have advised Michelin. Michelin will probably hold off until they are settled in London.

Edited to add: I'll happily be proved wrong :smile:

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"