• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin 2007

I agree with you naebody, I do think that Galvin's deserved their bib - the only thing that I can imagine let them down is the service which on my past few visits has been wuite poor. The food on the other hand is generally very good, only ever had a couple of questionalble dishes, and far less than at the Mirabelle and other one star places.

Another restaurant that I am suprised has not been recognised by anyone (or commented on in this forum from what I can find) is Pattersons. I have only ever had excellent meals there, and my meal on Friday night was one of top ten in the last 12 months (and I managed to chow my way around a total of 57 michelin stars amongst that- although some were visit more than once it must be said!)

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Ok, here are my predictions:

Petrus up to 2*

Tom Aikens up to 2*

La Noisette 1*

La Tompette a possible 1* (although I hope not as I don;t feel it is worth it)

Le Champignion Sauvage up to 3* (it certainly deserves it)

Possible 1* for Pearl

Star or Bibe Gourmand for Arbutus

Possible star for the Wolseley

Star for L'atelier du Joel Robuchon

Probably way off the mark, but ther you go!  Am guessing it is too early for St.Alban and Scotts, but maybe next year?!

I think you were closest Ravelda. Now tell me, who'll win the Grand National this year and any ideas for next week's lottery numbers?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

I'm very surprised that Apicius in Cranbrook didn't get the star this year.

I went last year and I had a great meal, which Firstly I should have wrote up, Secondly was easily worthy of a star, Thirdly though Tims wife said they really didn't want one.....

Andy are you doing a review for the place tomorrow, if not I'd love to read it on here.

Really pleased for Marcus Wareing, am I right in saying he has waited 10 years for the 2nd?!

Anyone surprised by Chapter Ones loss? I've never been personally, don't they do a hell of a loada covers?

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

Well who d wanna be working in Tom Aikens this morning ?Definatly not me

Glad it didnt get 2 stars, dont think it deserves, my meals have deteriated since i ate there one month after opening till now

Chapter one deservedly lost its star, my pastry chef seemed very pleased as hes still nursing wounds on his body from his time at Chapter one a couple of years ago

Very well done to Arbutus, great couple of meals there, maybe need to brush up on the service,

I was going to book dinner at petrus next month, but dont know i ll be afford it anymore, intresting to see if the prices go up?

Unlucky to Marc Wilkinson again at Fraiche i m sure he ll get one soon

Drakes on the pond has anyone eaten there recently, very surprised still 1 star?

I'm very surprised that Apicius in Cranbrook didn't get the star this year.

I went last year and I had a great meal, which Firstly I should have wrote up, Secondly was easily worthy of a star, Thirdly though Tims wife said they really didn't want one.....

Andy are you doing a review for the place tomorrow, if not I'd love to read it on here.

Really pleased for Marcus Wareing, am I right in saying he has waited 10 years for the 2nd?!

Anyone surprised by Chapter Ones loss? I've never been personally, don't they do a hell of a loada covers?

Not really i been a few times this year, they do do a lot of covers, but i guess theres always arguments, i feel you could say that if arbutus got one chapter one deserves one, but as fraiche did not get one there is no way chapter one should have one, in my opinion eating there five times last year it deserves to lose one nice food but nothing special menu hardly changed in 4 years, there is only so much they can do the prices they are charging, very good value. i know were on michelin subject but surely there going to lose a rosette or 2 also

Very well done to Arbutus, great couple of meals there, maybe need to brush up on the service,

We are going to a matinee the Saturday after next and I'm pleased to say that we finally got around to booking at Arbutus last weekend. We can find out then how the service is doing - the last (and only) time we ate there the waitress admitted that she was new and was a bit wayward, although the other staff did seem to know what they were doing.

We are going to a matinee the Saturday after next and I'm pleased to say that we finally got around to booking at Arbutus last weekend. We can find out then how the service is doing - the last (and only) time we ate there the waitress admitted that she was new and was a bit wayward, although the other staff did seem to know what they were doing.

it ll be intresting to see, the prices aswell?

Good luck to Arbutus, you play the cards as they come. for me, as much as I like the place, having a michelin star says too much about michelin and not enough about the restaurant itself.

can someone tell me what petrus have done differently in the 12 months? I can't see much change myself.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Well there’s great news on Chapter One in Dublin (not to be confused with the London demoted establishment), thread here and website here. I had given up on Michelin ever awarding it a star: there’s not a cloche in sight, no napkin folding, terribly warm and unstuffy service, and it has been consistently good for years… but the penny seems to have finally dropped with an audible "alors" crash to the ground. Of course, now it will probably take two months to get a booking!

And I’m terribly impressed with their speed in awarding Aldridge Lodge a Bib. This is a brilliant little restaurant that does a cracking €35 dinner, and another place with really warm, informal service. All I can say is, they must have someone new working in our neck of the woods.

Good to see Jacob’s Ladder parted from its undeserving Bib, but I’m surprised that they didn’t catch L’Gueuleton… although maybe their focus is on rewarding “Irishness” this year. If that’s the direction, The Winding Stair should be well on track for a Bib next year. Bang Café, which has retained its Bib is pretty close to the wire in terms of price criteria. Town Bar and Grill and Dax could ostensibly qualify on the same basis and are possibly more deserving… although maybe that’s just because I’m not a size zero and would feel out of place in Bang… OK, I’m too old too!

On Belfast, I was last in Alden’s in August, and didn’t notice any drop in standards (no discernible difference after the departure of Cath Gradwell) and the price point is spot on for the quality of the food. I would certainly prefer it to Deane’s Brasserie which kept its Bib.

Thanks for that Suzy, I have to say I think I will be buying a ticket this weekend! I don't believe it has been 10 years for Marcus by the way Pweaver1984!

Scott, I understand what you are saying about Petrus, but don't forget that for Michelin, it is not necessarily that Petrus has changed, but probably more that it is 2 star cooking, but they were waiting to ensure it was consistantly so. I for one am quite happy to say that I think it more than stands up against its 2* peers in London, with the exception on Champignion Saucage.

David

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Well there’s great news on Chapter One in Dublin (not to be confused with the London demoted establishment), thread here and website here.  I had given up on Michelin ever awarding it a star: there’s not a cloche in sight, no napkin folding, terribly warm and unstuffy service, and it has been consistently good for years… but the penny seems to have finally dropped with an audible "alors" crash to the ground.  Of course, now it will probably take two months to get a booking!

It's so long since I've been to Chapter One (Dub) that as soon as I heard the news this morning I thought I'd get in before the uninitiated and book straightaway. On congratulating them about the star, my colleague who did the booking was told that the phones hadn't stopped ringing all morning, which is somewhat surprising given the relative lack of publicity in the mainstream press thusfar. There are a lot of people really delighted that Chapter One has finally been recognised -- it's undoubtedly long overdue. Personally, I just can't wait to get my hands on that charcuterie trolley again.

The other aspects of the Michelin press release seem reasonably conservative in Ireland. Certainly Jacob's Ladder didn't deserve to keep its bib, but I think there are a few more restaurants that may be deserving. It will be interesting to see what restaurants are included when I finally get my hard-copy of the guide (I decided I'd splash out). The most recent one I have is not that insightful, and the standard of restaurants here seems to be improving (in many cases) and there are quite a few new ones on the scene over the last few years. I wonder will Michelin have kept up.

Si

May be its been 10 years since he gained his first star at his first head chef position?

May be its due to Jean-Philippe being back there more since his accident?

May be I'm talking crap!

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

"May be I'm talking crap!" - most of us can certainly be accused of that at times! According to Catere and Hotelkeeper he has been waiting for the second star since 2000.

Best,

David

Well there’s great news on Chapter One in Dublin (not to be confused with the London demoted establishment), thread here and website here.  I had given up on Michelin ever awarding it a star: there’s not a cloche in sight, no napkin folding, terribly warm and unstuffy service, and it has been consistently good for years… but the penny seems to have finally dropped with an audible "alors" crash to the ground.  Of course, now it will probably take two months to get a booking!

It's so long since I've been to Chapter One (Dub) that as soon as I heard the news this morning I thought I'd get in before the uninitiated and book straightaway. On congratulating them about the star, my colleague who did the booking was told that the phones hadn't stopped ringing all morning, which is somewhat surprising given the relative lack of publicity in the mainstream press thusfar. There are a lot of people really delighted that Chapter One has finally been recognised -- it's undoubtedly long overdue. Personally, I just can't wait to get my hands on that charcuterie trolley again.

Yes, the charcuterie trolley is on at the moment. I just booked for our anniversary in late March. I got a 9 o'clock table (nothing earlier available), so I'd say that booking is going to be a nightmare soon. I've friends going there on Saturday. As you said, the phones have been hopping and they are over the moon. In culinary terms, it's like Ireland winning the World Cup. So many people feel a personal attachment to this restaurant. Ross Lewis and Martin Corbett have been slogging it out for about 15 years now, way before the whole Celtic Tiger thing happened. There's something terribly Irish about Chapter One, not just Ross Lewis's food (because there's plenty of creativity in there too), but the wonderful warm service and Martin Corbett's accessible and kind manner. Everyone is treated specially and there's no who's who feel about the place.

Well, I'm going for my Birthday meal so in theory it's not actually a review but it may come in handy for something in the future. I'll post something though.

Chapter One is superb and well deserving. Had a wonderful meal there last year. Still can't believe that Anthony's doesn't get a star... What do they have to do? Feel sorry for Heathcote as has a great meal there the other week and it is a further loss to the north of England.

We're crying out for a Michelin standard restaurant in the area. It'd make my food travels so much cheaper!

Arbutus got a star - wow

Had lunch today with colleagues & quite by chance. The food was very average indeed and the wine service a bit of a joke. Not Michelin starred by any stretch of any imagination. We didn’t leave till about 4pm & there was no sense of excitement so guess they don’t yet

Glad it didnt get 2 stars, dont think it deserves, my meals have deteriated since i ate there one month after opening till now

Chapter one deservedly lost its star, my pastry chef seemed very pleased as hes still nursing wounds on his body from his time at  Chapter one a couple of years ago

I was going to book dinner at petrus next month, but dont know i ll be afford it anymore, intresting to see if the prices go up?

Drakes on the pond has anyone eaten there recently, very surprised still 1 star?

The Tasting menu at Petrus is £80 for 8 courses - A la carte is £60 and it was by far and away the best meal I ate in London last year simply outstanding, the wine list has plenty of choice on it for those of us who cannot afford Chateau Petrus (yet!) too, We had a table at 7pm and left at nearly midnight what with ordering a middle course on top of cheese and a tour of the kitchen.Cannot recommend it highly enough.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Arbutus got a star - wow

Had lunch today with colleagues & quite by chance.  The food was very average indeed and the wine service a bit of a joke.  Not Michelin starred by any stretch of any imagination.  We didn’t leave till about 4pm & there was no sense of excitement so guess they don’t yet

That would be incredible if they didn't know.

But Tony ate there the lunch after it was published so everyone would have already seen it, i would have expected the staff to be visibly buzzing about it I would be very surprised if they didn't want to pass the news on to their team until it was published anyway - surely its something to celebrate with your team and make sure they are well informed - if the waiters aren't aware of newly awarded michelin status hows their menu knowledge etc?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Chapter one deservedly lost its star, my pastry chef seemed very pleased as hes still nursing wounds on his body from his time at  Chapter one a couple of years ago

The Tasting menu at Petrus is £80 for 8 courses - A la carte is £60 and it was by far and away the best meal I ate in London last year simply outstanding, the wine list has plenty of choice on it for those of us who cannot afford Chateau Petrus (yet!) too, We had a table at 7pm and left at nearly midnight what with ordering a middle course on top of cheese and a tour of the kitchen.Cannot recommend it highly enough.

valentines day for my girlfriend it is then!some funny day in feb bein a chef, she can have a special one on the 19th or something!!

Nikkib - as for their menu knowledge I can't say, although it haw never been a problem when I have been. I know that the day Tony went they should have known and been excited about it, but you know what - a lot of restaurant staff don;t give a monkeys unless it will benefit them directly through an increase in wages. One of the hardest things in this business is getting staff to really buy-in to the restaurant to the extent where they see it as more than just any old job and start to care about the business itself. And it is well documented that Arbutus has struggled with retaining their waiting staff.