• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin 2007

Then how come Paris (when it was actually there in Birmingham) received 4 rosettes, but nothing from Michelin the whole time time it was there?

Cause it was IMHO a crap restaurant cooking food that epicurian had years ago :angry: . Thank god michelin never gave it a star, have not got a clue what the AA were thinking...trying to be controversial perhaps? :hmmm:

Because the guides are all imperfect.They all miss the mark on some places.

Yeah like that Margots place in Padstein... How on earth did that make it into GFG? :raz::raz::raz:

We are not in this years GFG Mr Smarty Pants :raz: .Something to do with me not sending the form back.Yes, i am a twat.

because thats all we have?

Any publication that sets out to rate Thousands of restaurants on a yearly basis is going to get some of them wrong.Overall it's better than nothing.(or there is that new fangled internet, if you want up to date opinions and reviews)

PS if there were annual publications that rated how you did your job, wouldn't you be interested? :biggrin:

I will be buying it this year. The last one I bought was 2004 and I use it regularly so it makes sense to get an updated version.

By the way what happened to Paris? I remember when it first opened and I ate there the guy was pretty certain it would only be a matter of time before he had his first star.

may as well throw my hat in the ring:

new *

Theo Randall (? early I know)

Atelier Joel Robuchon

Arbutus - no way. nor should it even want one.

Vineyard at StockCross

not Tom Aikens - he's a 2 star chef, but he doesn't turn out 2 star food consistently enough. and it's gotten worse this year.

no new ***

demotions, waterside down to ** perhaps.

Yuatcha to lose?

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

I will be buying it this year. The last one I bought was 2004 and I use it regularly so it makes sense to get an updated version.

By the way what happened to Paris? I remember when it first opened and I ate there the guy was pretty certain it would only be a matter of time before he had his first star.

He left, went to Seaham Hall, one of Pat McD's cronies took over the reigns and the food went rapifly downhill from there. Service always remained top notch though. Shame.

The guides up people, go look at the new crop :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Or, for the assistance of those who can't be arsed:

In London, La Noisette, Arbutus, L'Atellier and Bernares (!) all make 1 star. Petrus gets two, as does the Vineyard in Berkshire. Chapter One is the only place in the smoke to lose its bong.

Elsewhere, single stars for:

Guernsey: Christophe

Jersey: Atlantic

Wiltshire: The Harrow

Cornwall: The Abbey

Durham: Seaham Hall

South Ayrshire: Glenapp Castle

Edinburgh City: The Kitchin

Monmouthshire: The Crown at Whitebrook

Dublin: Chapter One

Full details here.

Edited by naebody (log)

One of the most-discussed restaurants on this thread seems to have been Arbutus, with a number of people tipping it for a star and others suggesting that it shouldn't get one. Well now it has one and I just cannot understand why. We have endlessly debated the merits of "Michelin-style" dining - amuses and all that - in the past, and, whatever one thought of that style, there was a broad level of consistency in the restaurants which were chosen within those constraints. It seems somewhat wilful to have awarded Arbutus a star - as if they are saying, "If you think you need fripperies and add-ons to get a star, then you're wrong." I don't think Arbutus is a bad restaurant, but I don't think it's a particularly noteworthy one, and at the risk of sounding an ass, I cannot understand how a restaurant which doesn't give you a plate for your bread gets a star. In the bigger scheme of things, I'd be all for revolution at Michelin and my sensational local chippie getting a star because it is leagues ahead of the competition, but as that ain't going to happen, I do not get the elevation of Arbutus. Nice to see Combe House in Honiton as a rising star - a very good Cluedo-style country house restaurant.

(manchester, well Didsbury, already had a Bib in Jem & I)

And entertaining to see Anthony's at Flannels got a Bib, but the main place is still without a star.

J.Baker's in York too with a Bib.

Time for my annual 'how does the Box Tree keep theirs?'. Even smugger, less helpful, less interesting than last year. Third best restaurant in Ilkley.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Well I am overall rather pleased with the guide. Still some stars that I think should have lost stars - namely Glasshouse in Kew, Capital and Le Gavroche, and Le Mirabelle. What are your thoughts Andy?

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Well I am overall rather pleased with the guide.  Still some stars that I think should have lost stars - namely Glasshouse in Kew, Capital and Le Gavroche, and Le Mirabelle.  What are your thoughts Andy?

I haven't been to the restaurants you mention this year so I can't comment on those, but I do think Arbutus is worthy of a star. It is a casual restaurant, and a very good one, but the cooking is absolutely top drawer stuff and in theory 1 star is all about the cooking. I think Robuchon deserves the star despite being awarded at lightening speed. If anyone is allowed to have their track record taken into consideration it must be JR.

I'm very surprised that Apicius in Cranbrook didn't get the star this year. I'm going back tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if its as good as I remember. I'm sure Marcus Wareing must be delighted, not to say somewhat relieved, to finally get his second star - it's been a bloody long time coming.

I would imagine that Gordon Ramsay RHR has been under intense scrutiny by the guides given the Ramsay empire's aggressive expansion and the fact that the grinning Scot hardly seems to have left our screens or our local offy windows this year. Based on a stunning lunch in November, I think it more than deserves retain its 3 stars. Given that the name over the door is often to be found away filming in LA or launching a range of food product for BHS, or a porcelain range for Royal Doulton or a nationwide pub chain etc etc etc eat, its a very neat trick indeed to pull off and goes to prove the depth of quality in the organisation.

Good to see Palmiro get a Bib, best Italian by far in Greater Manchester, one more notch for Manchester's minimal representation in Michelin. For a major city like Manchester it is a shame (thats for another thread).

Sorry to see Heathcotes go down, service and food IMHO up to Michelin standard on the three times I visited this year, my wife however disagrees. Oh well it will bounce back.

Anthonys I found to be a let down when I visited this year, it was good but not that fantastic. Service rigid at times and food combinations that totally missed the mark. I am not surprised it did not get a star, I think it earned a reputation without having really developed what it has tried to achieve. Great beer list though.

How long does Fraiche have to rise before it gets a star?

I'd be all for revolution at Michelin and my sensational local chippie getting a star because it is leagues ahead of the competition, but as that ain't going to happen, I do not get the elevation of Arbutus.

Would it be unfair to note that the chefs at Noisette, Arbutus, L'Atellier and Bernares all had stars at former (or, in L'Atellier's case, current) establishments?

When crap like Rhodes 24 can retain a star then Arbutus, as the best acceptable-value option in Soho, may as well get some recognition. But it seems absurd that Galvin -- an arguably superior version of the Arbutus concept -- lost its bib while the lacklustre and aggressively priced Galvin at Windows gets rising star status.

On a more random note, I find the continuing omission of Morgan M baffling.