• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin 2007

I think you are absolutely right Matthew. By the way, where are your predictions, I would have thought you would have thrown a dice and given us your hot picks?

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Has anyonwe been to Glasshouse in Kew recently? I can imagine that loosing its strar - the food has totally lacked imagination and flair on my last couple of visits

Edited by ravelda (log)

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

That's a whole new thread "how having a baby affects  performance"

Having had two babies in the past 2 years and as much as I love them and love my wife, give me a stove and a box of produce with hungry punters over shitty nappies and pacing colicky screaming kids which bugger your back any day.

Oh, and the need to earn twice, if not three times as much than before focuses the mind slightly more

bakerestates

I agree that Petrus will get its second star. Went there earlier this week and one could almost "smell" the second star around the corner. It would be unfair if they wouldn't get it.

On the contrary, it would only be fair for GR at Claridge's to loose its star.

ameiden, I have to disageree - I think Clardges 100% deserves its star. It serves classic dishes, perfectly executed, and when compared to some of its peers is a country mile ahead. I have only ever had one or two duff dishes there ever, and they were only duff in that they were rather un-inspirational.

Didn't your predictions last year go a bit tits up Matthew? :wink:

Yep and I fully expect mine, as well as everybody elses, to do the same this year. There is no realistic way to predict the Michelin results. As we all know restaurants that get stars often don't deserve them and those that don't often do. :laugh:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I'll be the first to say this: surely Anthony's will be recognised this year?

Hard to say whether they will get the deserved star before the end of the month, but I do know that they have had two visits from one inspector this year.

Olga told me that he had introduced himself at the end of the second visit - apparently he told them his first visit had been on a very busy night - any comments on the significiance of two visits? Or the introduction?

David

Hard to say whether they will get the deserved star before the end of the month, but I do know that they have had two visits from one inspector this year.

Olga told me that he had introduced himself at the end of the second visit - apparently he told them his first visit had been on a very busy night - any comments on the significiance of two visits? Or the introduction?

David

To announce themselves and to make several visits before inspection is perfectly normal. what does matter is the name of the person who announced him/herself.

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

I've argued many times on these very pages about the absurdity of Michelin's criteria. With that in mind ...

Going up:

Petrus **

Chez Bruce **

St John *

Trompette *

Cinnamon Club *

Going down:

Ramsay RHR **

Rhodes 24

The Glasshouse

Yauatcha

Nobu Berkeley

David

To announce themselves and to make several visits before inspection is perfectly normal. what does matter is the name of the person who announced him/herself.

pretty much all the michelin UK top brass have been and identified themselves over the last few years, so that's not new.

The fact that they are still receiving multiple visits though suggests there is at least continuing interest from the red book.

i think what is often forgotten with michelin is their inherent conservatism and the number of promotions and demotions is never as great as we'd like/expect, especially when lots of the 'new' stars each year tend to go with michelin starred chefs in their new guises, hence i wouldn't be suprised to see arbutus get a star and j baker's in york too.

What they want is consistency and if you've proved your worth to them they tend to be loyal, over the last few years john burton race, simon gueller, martin blunos and gary rhodes (from memory) were all re-awarded stars in their new guises very rapidly. The box tree hadn't been back in action under simon and rena for more than a few months when they regained their star. hence a star for atelier wouldn't be shock either.

so my prediction is it won't be half as exciting as we hope, but i'll book a table at anthonys for a celebratory lunch anyway :laugh:

you don't win friends with salad

" Hibiscus hasn't been the same since they had the baby. Won't get a 3rd star. "

I would be very interested to know what you base this theory on and how you come to such a bizarre conclusion?

UP:

L'enclume  2*

Anthony's 1*

Sat Bains 2*

Midsummer House 3*

Mint (Dublin) 1*

DOWN:

Fat Duck 2*

Locatelli's 0*

Gordon Ramsey2*

L'ecrivain 0*

Yes, yes, I like an outside bet  :rolleyes:

RDB, like Simon, I think it is too soon for Mint, but if should be well on track for next year.

I'm very interested in your L'Ecrivain prediction. I agree, I think it has "starting to lose its gloss" written all over it. In fact, they were lucky to get a star in the first place with the bathroom facilities (way too small, a bit of nice soap please) and desserts - which have never been their strong point - are just plain boring at this stage. Also the service can be abysmal, although well-known critics and journos are quickly spotted and treated with kid gloves. Derry and Sallyanne Clarke are obviously very nice people, but this is just not a place for the common man without an expense account, so an inspector could well have had a ho-hum experience on a visit. That said, they may be reluctant to take away one of the few stars in the city.

I expect Chapter One to be ignored completely again, and this actually makes the place cooler for it.

Dax might get a Bib, I think they could be in there on the price threshold. Olivier would be well known to them from his time in Thornton's and they got rid of the bad table by the ladies bathroom. A few new places like The Winding Stair merit a Bib, but it would have opened too late in the year, and anyway, they probably won't "get it".

The best new restaurant in Dublin this year was Fayruz in Middle Abbey Street, a proper shawarma joint, but obviously not a Michelin contender!!!

Dammit, Corinna, now you tell me about Fayruz!

I've been wanting to go there for ages but had been discouraged by the lack of anybody at all there...

And now I'm LEAVING. TOMORROW. I'm disgusted. Will have to go somewhere fabulous in London to compensate.