• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chateauneuf-du-Pape 1998 vertical tasting

Andre

Vertical tasting Chateauneuf-du-Pape 1998

Tasted January 6th 2006.

Friends, cold weather, hot food and of we go:

Cotes-du-Rhone Villages Sablet Chateau du Trignon, Blanc de Blanc 1994

Waited just a bit too much on this one. Fond memories of this rare breed of white amongst the reds leaves a numb straw color, a nose combining pecan nuts and honey with hints of an oaky vin jaune, soft fading body and a now dominant wet oak ending.

Way past its speak to leave us only with oak and memories.

Chateauneuf-du-Pape Chateau de la Gardine 1998

Although still deep and lively color, this is a quite simple, far from complex Chateauneuf with an appealing fruit driven nose and mild lingering spice.

The wine fails in terms of feel and complexity in the mouth and is a somehow disappointing example of the vintage. Try the Cuvee des Generation from the same producer as it prove to be of a much bigger body and more promising feel.

The wine is better enjoyed by itself or with a simple red meat dish and shows quite a bit of sediments.

Drink now 2008.

Chateauneuf-du-Pape Bosquet des Papes 1998

This is a great drinking, ripe and extremely well balanced Chateauneuf-du pape.

A dry consistent nose with slowly developing fruit, fully mature and slowly revealing a second and third layer.

Medium bodied with a fair amount of acidity, this wine can hardly be termed impressive when entering the mouth. Half an hour later and this wine still maintains consistency and flavors of ripening fruit spice, and complimenting older oak, in an admirable manner.

A great medium to full bodied food companion with perfect balance and consistency.

Very well made and enjoyable Chateauneuf of a dry characteristics.

Drink now – 2011.

Chateauneuf-du-Pape Domaine La Crau des Papes 1998

An appealing nose opens up with a dominant fruit driven Grenache nose with hints of concentrated fruits lingering for a while. Good concentration though a rather basic Chateauneuf without the complexity of this fine vintage.

Medium bodied and fruit driven once allowed to open-up with the right amount of spice adding balance to the almost sweet fruity texture, good enough acidity and medium long constant though not complex finish.

A well made modern Chateauneuf-du-Pape with a good concentration yet not complex and perhaps in need for further development for better balance.

Drink 2008-2011.

Chateauneuf-du-Pape Domain du Vieux Telegraphe La Crau 1998

Dark dense very deep color, somehow darker than most Chateauneuf of the 1998 vintage.

An expressive concentrated black cherry and raspberry liquer nose with hints of black pepper and medium aged well-felt oaky bouquet.

This massive and concentrated wine is a great first impression on a first sniff or taste. Seconds , and minutes later the wine's dense fruity expression fails to develop further layers and complexity.

This is a hot climate fruity modern expression of a Chateauneuf-du-Pape with a well built structure that consists of fruit and spicy oak that lingers on to a fairly long aftertaste.

The wine proves a bit alcoholic and is an unfriendly food match .

A modern dominant Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

Drink 2007-2015.

Chateauneuf-du-Pape Clos des Papes 1998

As good as it gets.

This is the best expression of traditional Chateauneuf-du-Pape that I have tasted.

A slow to open multi-layered nose full of spicy fruit, herbs, some more spice and minerals perfectly balanced slowly surfacing layer after layer. This perfectly equalized wine may only be the outcome of many years of traditional dedication.

In the mouth the wine starts with a smooth dry and ripe fruity feel with a very good acidity quoted by plenty of ripe tannins that disappear into a spicy / earthy long and complex finish.

This is a masterpiece and although I hate to compare wines, not to mention this uniquely divers region, so far, the Clos des Pape proves to be best 1998 Chateauneuf-du-Pape that I have tasted.

Drink 2007-2020.

The 1998 vintage is opening up very nicely while those blending in more Mourvedre have managed more complex wines.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Thanks for the report. I have been holding on to a few of some of these plus some Beaucastel. You have made me excited to try some, though I am still in no hurry.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Not to mince but this is considered a horizontal tasting.

Indeed.

Andre Suidan

Was the Bosquet des Papes the regular bottling or the Grenache Cuvee?

The regular bottling and perhaps my favorite of the two.

Andre Suidan