• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Six Degrees of Separation Game.

Sorry Insomniac

Haruki Murakami and roast lamb

Haruki Murakami is a Japanese author

Who in 1982 ? wrote a novel "The Wild Sheep Chase" ( Some say the biography of the Wallaby Rugby team!!??)

Sheep are the older virgin of Lamb

Roasted Lamb be the only way to cook em!!

The fat & happy Chef from Clarens, Eastern Free State, South Africa.

I've never had a bad day in the kitchen, but I've had some bad kitchens in my day!

Ali G and Duranian Ice Cream

Ali G is a comedian (Borat) who interviewed Jarvis Cocker from the band Pulp, who are a rock band, formed in Sheffield, England in 1978, by then 15-year-old school-boy.

Durian fruit, which according to Travel and food writer Richard Sterling says:

"... its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. Despite its great local popularity, the raw fruit is forbidden from some establishments such as hotels, subways and airports, including public transportation in Southeast Asia. The PULP is used to flavour a wide variety of sweet edibles such as traditional Malay candy, ice kachang, rose biscuits, cakes, and, with a touch of modern innovation, ice cream, milkshakes, mooncakes and even cappuccino.

This is getting desparate my mate!!

I've never had a bad day in the kitchen, but I've had some bad kitchens in my day!

Ali G and Duranian Ice Cream

Ali G is a comedian (Borat) who interviewed Jarvis Cocker from the band Pulp, who are a rock band, formed in Sheffield, England in 1978, by then 15-year-old school-boy.

Durian fruit, which according to Travel and food writer Richard Sterling says:

"... its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. Despite its great local popularity, the raw fruit is forbidden from some establishments such as hotels, subways and airports, including public transportation in Southeast Asia. The PULP is used to flavour a wide variety of sweet edibles such as traditional Malay candy, ice kachang, rose biscuits, cakes, and, with a touch of modern innovation, ice cream, milkshakes, mooncakes and even cappuccino.

This is getting desparate my mate!!

Was the boy who founded Pulp named Durian?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

may I say as an aside that Haruki Murakami's books contain superb cooking and food vignettes and are as different a read as you will ever get....if you trust me I recommend them highly, but you need to be a bit weird :smile:

The Pulp of a Durian is used to make the flavours of Ice Cream ( WikiPP)

NO Bishop Tutu is a great link to Eskimo Pie...however there is bound to be SOME one that will be offended, irritatated, amused, tickled or whatever...but then again I'm very new to this thread so who nose??

How seriousioly do people play this game??

JBTW I know Arch & Leah personally so I cant see him getting his robes in a froth!!!

Noonish update.

In play:

Vladimir Putin and high tea

Roy Clark and nan

Piet Retief and pemmican

Taj al Din al Hilali and meat

Bishop Tutu and Eskimo Pie Ice Creams

Francois Pienaar and Indian Curry

Roy Clark and nan

I would love to see the solution to this but this is what I came up with:

-Roy Clark appeared in the 1982 television special "the EPCOT Center Opening Celebration"

-The United Kingdom is one of the nations represented in Epcot Center's World Showcase.

-Britain once ruled India

-Nan is a flatbread that is served with meals in areas of India

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Hello Everyone

In play:

Piet Retief and pemmican

Francois Pienaar and Indian Curry

I have been completely unable to keep track of the points in this game - my apologies! I never expected it to last more than a day or three, and now it is two weeks and going strong. It is good to see some new players, and I think everyone is enjoying the fun and creativity.

I will do my best to keep track of the stories in play.

I'll try to do a points tally later today, but if you want to keep the tally going, perhaps we could have another volunteer?

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

I don't know if points are really needed. The fun is in the game itself.

Here's a new puzzle (to replace the two I answered):

Andy Roddick and chicharrones

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Well, chef from clarens, not only do I have a minibus in Maputo but I am a rugby girl of the all black variety so

Francois Pienaar, brilliant Springbok rugby captain is probably most famous for the iconic photograph of him posing with Nelson Mandela after their 1995 World Cup victory over a much better side :smile: (they was robbed)

As a young man Nelson Mandela used to eat in an Indian curry restaurant called Kapitan's in Johannesburg, and 5 months before he was to be released from Robben Island Mandela wrote to the restaurant when he heard it was to close expressing his sadness that he would not be able to eat their curry again

ps. haven't missed a HK 7's

Andrew Mehrtens and castle beer

Edited by insomniac (log)

Well I guess we cant all be perfect can we?

Andrew Mehrtens and castle beer

Andrew Mehrtens ( The Traitor) the singularly brilliant Fly half of the AB's was born in Durban South Africa and received his formative education & rugby grounding in SA

Rugby ( along with cricket, soccer {roll on 2010} braaivleis { barbeque}, and drinking beer) are our national sports in South Africa.

The team sponsors of our national rugby team, The Springboks, are SAB Millar PLC, one of the top 3 brewers in the world whose flagship beer is...Castle Lager Beer!!!

Nice one!!

Edited by Chef from Clarens (log)

wow, my computer has been gone for a couple of days and the games have spawned a couple of pages of games... and new players too! Woot!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Another day, another batch of puzzles

In play:

Piet Retief and pemmican

Piet Retief was a leader of the Voortrekkers who set off on the Great Trek eastwards from the British colony at the Cape after a series of reforms that angered many Boers

One of the foodstuffs taken along was boerewors, a mixed meat sausage containing speck or sheeps tail fat or tallow and hung and dried to last on the trek

Pemmican, similarly, is a foodstuff containing a high proportion of fat and dried meat and used as a high energy, long lasting food originally by the native peoples of North America

Robert Burns and poppyseeds

Another day, another batch of puzzles

In play:

Piet Retief and pemmican

I do see that we are down one, and have just realized I did not play fairly---I took away two and replaced only one. Mea culpa.

Andy Hardy and chitlins.

Afternoon update:

Robert Burns and poppyseeds

Andy Hardy and chitlins

The temps down here have dropped 15 degrees since sunrise! Hope everyone is staying warm out there!

Andy Hardy was played by Mickey Rooney when extremely youthful

and then when extremely old became the voice of the evil clown in the movie 'Babe, Pig in the City'

and you know the rest, chitlins being ...shield children's eyes NOW

sadly, I remember watching the original Andy Hardy series when it reached TV

c.f. Wayne Rooney, youthful scouse English footballer with more than a passing resemblance to a pig

Edited by insomniac (log)