• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Six Degrees of Separation Game.

Winston Churchill's son, Randolph, married Pamela Digby

who a few marriages later as Pamela Harriman bankrolled Bill Clintons' 1992 presidential campaign

Bill Clinton and collard greens,....nah

sorry,

Shane Warne and biscuits (cookies, that is )

Edited by insomniac (log)

It is assumed that Einstein was cocking a snook at the world when he was photographed poking his tongue out as he left hospital in 1955 after being diagnosed with a huge aortic aneurism

I can reveal now, for the first time, that Einstein's doctor, a famous Australian surgeon moonlighting in Brooklyn under a pseudonym, was an inveterate practical joker and had given his patient a slice of vegemite toast to eat, using the old ruse that it was better to apply the vegemite thickly to fully savour the taste.

Taj al Din al Hilali and meat

Good morning! Glad to see you back Janet. I've had house guests (sister surprised me with a visit from the frozen North) for the last two days, and getting ready for more this weekend.

In Play:

Barry Humphries and pheasant

Winston Churchill and Collards

Shane Warne and biscuits (cookies, that is )

Neil Hamburger and lemon meringue pie

Edith Wharton and fried rice

Gidget and roibois tea

Einstein and Vegemite

:biggrin:

Hi there found your game this afternoon..sorry to missed all the fun is it tooo late?/

Here is one for you

GIDGET TO ROOIBOS TEA

1.The original “Gidget” was a surfer lady from Malibu in the 50’s, real name Kathy Kohner Zuckerman

2.Was part of an immigrant Jewish family from Russia

3. Benjamin Ginsberg, a Russian immigrant and pioneer in the Cederberg region of the Cape, South Africa, became the first to trade Rooibos (Red Bush) tea and cultivate it under production.

Piet Retief and pemmican

The fat & happy Chef from Clarens, Eastern Free State, South Africa.

I've never had a bad day in the kitchen, but I've had some bad kitchens in my day!

Anne , are we not going to allow insomniac's efforts with Winston and Einstein?

I thought the Einstein solution was pretty funny.

Janet

And welcome, Chef from Clarens - it is certainly not too late, we need some new blood around here!

Edited by The Old Foodie (log)

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Shane Warne & Biscuits

1. Shane Warne was banned from cricket for drug use

2. He claimed the drugs were diuretic pills ( water loss & weight loss Oh ye sure fat boy)

3. Water biscuits are a delicacy to be enjoyed with fine cheeses

Nelson Mandela and LM Prawns

Edited by Chef from Clarens (log)

I've never had a bad day in the kitchen, but I've had some bad kitchens in my day!

Well done Chef from Clarens

Now we need another one from you to keep the number of challenges up.

Happy Feasting

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

thanx chef from clarens: clever

the solution I held in my brain was:

Shane Warne is an Oz cricketer

sledging is a huge part of the sport (i.e. trying to put off your opponent by insulting him face to face)

Shane Warne is quite pudgy

When an English player asked him why he was so fat Shane answered that every time he f****d the English player's wife she gave him a biscuit :laugh::laugh::laugh:

anyway I thought it was funny

Barrie Humphries and Pheasnts

1.John Barry Humphries is an Australian comedian best known for his on-stage and television alter egos Dame Edna Everage. He was also the voice of Bruce the Shark in the 2003 Pixar movie Finding Nemo.

Humphries has been married four times; his fourth wife Lizzie Spender is the daughter of British poet Sir Stephen Spender.

2.Sir Stephen Harold Spender CBE, was an English poet, novelist and essayist who concentrated on themes of social injustice and the class struggle in his work.

3.One could say he cared more for the peasants than the pheasnts!!

ah, prawns from Mozambique; guess you are from the south of the continent :smile:

we own a quarter of a minibus in Maputo :shock:

You only have 25% left after traveling in Moz???, I know the roads are bad but it must have been a land mine then..

Neil Hamburger and Lemon Meringue pie:

1. Neil Hamburger has a really bad comb over

2. Comb overs are usually found on older people

3. Some older people have been known to make Florida their home.

4. Lemon Meringue pie is a very popular dessert in Florida during the summertime! :)

How bout… Roy Clark and nan

-Therese

Many parts of a pine tree are edible.

It is good to see some new players taking insomniac on. :raz:

Happy Feasting

Winston Churchill and collard greens:

Among his other accomplishments and afflictions great and small, Churchill was known to be fond of his liquor; he regularly added whisky to his water

When collard greens are cooked, many of their nutrients leach into the cooking water; the resulting liquid, called "pot likker", is usually sopped up with cornbread and often saved for later reuse

Donald Fagen and a root beer float

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Edith Wharton and fried rice

-Author Edith Wharton was good friends with Teddy Roosevelt

-Teddy Roosevelt spearheaded the building of the Panama Canal

-Today, the Panama Canal shipping ports are operated by (from Wikipedia) "the Chinese firm Hutchison Whampoa, a Hong Kong-based shipping concern whose owner Li Ka Shing is the wealthiest man in Asia".

-Many Chinese restaurants serve fried rice.

I'll come up with a replacement puzzle shortly.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

"Jack" Daniel to cherries

1. Jack Daniel was the founder of the famous Whisky

2. Opposition to the "Whiskey rebellion" of 1791 was headed by the Army of George Washington.

3. The State of Washington produces a vast amount of the United States' cherries.

Booyah!

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Nelson Mandela's wife, Graca is from Mozambique, the widow of Samora Machel

LM prawns are named from the old capital of Mozambique, Lorenzo Marques

sorry chef from clarens, my Maputo minibus gives me the inside info :smile:

Haruki Murakami and roast lamb

Anne , are we not going to allow insomniac's efforts with Winston and Einstein?

I thought the Einstein solution was pretty funny.

Janet

And welcome, Chef from Clarens - it is certainly not too late, we need some new blood around here!

Sorry, my bad. I was trying to divide my attention too thin and just pasted and forgot to get rid of all the solved puzzles.

Morning update, and great fun to see all the players:

In play:

Marie Curie and Electric Eel Steaklets

Haruki Murakami and roast lamb

Roy Clark and nan

Piet Retief and pemmican

Bishop Tutu and Eskimo Pie Ice Creams

Donald Fagen and a root beer float

If I made an error, please do not hesitate to point it out to me! I will try to be more attentive today, but you guys are working fast!

Donald Fagen is one half of Steely Dan (named after the steel dildo in the Naked Lunch :blink: )

on their album Aja the song Black Cow tells the story of a husband seeing his cheating wife sitting in a NY bar (Rudy's) drinking a black cow

which is a soda with icecream on the top, (I thought it was with coke but apparently root beer can be used instead)

Sacha Baron Cohen and kudu steak

Marie Curie discovered that rays emitted from uranium have an electrical effect as do

electric eels which make great pets for those who do not have enough space for an electric cat or dog. Potential European electric eels owners should be aware that most eels are imported from South America, and will require modification or a transformer to drop the 220-240V mains supply in their homes down to the 120V required by the eels.

The eel will need to be connected to an earthed outlet, and connected with a fuse of appropriate rating (the UL-rated power requirements of an individual eel can be found stamped on the eel's underbelly). Care must be taken to ensure that the eel has an ample power supply at all times

Should you forget to plug your eel back in after vacuuming or in case of power failure the electric eel can be skinned and sliced through the backbone, lightly dusted in seaoned flour and sauted in olive oil/butter

Vladimir Putin and high tea

Sacha Baron Cohen and kudu steak

Nice job on the Steely Dan puzzle.

Sacha Baron Cohen voiced Julien the King of the Lemurs in the animated movie "Madagascar"

He befriends a lion named Alex, who had only ever eaten precut steaks before coming to Madagascar

Kudu are natural prey for lions in South Africa

Ali G and Durian Ice Cream