• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bu Pun Su

French Culinary Terms

82 posts in this topic

This is probably the wrong place to post this, but:

I breezed past a FN episode of "Guys Big Bite" (yeah, Fieri). He made a dish they were calling "Moc-Shoe". I know that's not the correct spelling for the classic dish and am wracking my brain (and google) for the right term/recipe. Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks.

Maque choux- and it is a great side dish.

Right on target Doodad--Thank you so much!

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you

Here's the phonetic summary. Keep adding and correcting.

Tuile - Two-eel

Genoise - J-eh-nwah-ze

Bavaroise - Ba-va-rwah / Ba-va-rwah-zeCrepe - Creh-pe

Cannelle - ca-neh-le / canelé - ca-nəh-leh (ə being like euh)

Dacquoise - dack-wah-ze

Dragees - drag-ay [it's a soft g, accent on the 2nd syllable (dra-ZHEY)]

Dulce de Leche - dool say day leh chayPithiviers - correctly pronounced PTVA

Frangipane - fran gee pain

Gesztenyetorte - geh sten ye tor ta

Kastanientorte - kah-stahn-nyen-tort-eh

Macaron - Ma-ca-rohn (ron, is pronunced like r-on (ON as in ONtario not turn ON the music)

Millefeuille - Meel-fuh-eye (say it quickly)

Non pareil - Nohn pah-ray / non-puh-REL

Sfogliatelle - shfoo-ya-dell or schvee-a-dell

Useful tools:

For French, you might try this site!

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/millefeuille

Click the red little speaker symbols for audio.

Sfogliatelle = shfoo-ya-dell or schvee-a-dell  :laugh:

Here's the phonetic summary.  Keep adding and correcting.

I knew there was a chance that this would come back to bite me! :unsure:

That would be the "New Joisey" pronunciation. As in Tony asking Carmela where's that box of shfooyadells! :raz:

Correct pronunciation can be found here...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Sfogliatelle = shfoo-ya-dell or schvee-a-dell  :laugh:

Here's the phonetic summary.  Keep adding and correcting.

I knew there was a chance that this would come back to bite me! :unsure:

That would be the "New Joisey" pronunciation. As in Tony asking Carmela where's that box of shfooyadells! :raz:

Correct pronunciation can be found here...

looks the same to me :laugh:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I forgot how much fun this topic was  :laugh:  Here's a basic one that I could use some nuancing on:  madeleine ...what is the sound at the end?

It's the sound of saying the letter "N". Maddle-"N"

I'm glad you brought this topic up again.

How about Grenobloise?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Gron-o-blahz, but a little, uh, Frenchier than I typed (use your imagination :) Actually, I didn't even know that, I just watched a few videos on Youtube to catch a French person saying it.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

How about Grenobloise?

I would say it's more like: Gruhn-o-blwahz.

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

How about Grenobloise?

I would say it's more like: Gruhn-o-blwahz.

I agree with the last half, but think that "Gren" is pronounced closer to the way it is spelled, than "Gruhn", but I suppose it can depend on your accent too.

Madeleine = Mahd-lenn

Grenobloise = greuh-no-blwahz approximately, but that particular e sound doesn't really exist in English, it's a little shorter than our eh sound

edited to add: the pronunciation of millefeuille is another that can't be easily compared to English, but fuh-eye (as above) is definitely not it. I'd go with meel-foy-ee before I'd say meel-fuh-eye, knowing that that's not exactly it either, but it's a lot closer. If you can pronounce the word oeil in French, the feuille sound is almost exactly the same.

Edited by Abra (log)

This is a fun topic. It's also quite eye-opening to see how foreign words get subsumed and morphed and anglicized, americanized and so on.

While some of the pronunciations given seem to be what one hears most often from American speakers, they also vary wildly from the French.

For those that are interested, I'll have a go at International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) transcriptions of most of the French words discussed as pronounced in 'standard French'. Although not perfect, the IPA is useful since it is a common point of reference... a personal transcription (such as 'Creh-pe') will be pronounced in a host of different ways depending on where you're from.

[NB In case my IPA font does not work online see bottom of post for a screenshot of the next section.]

Tuile [tɥil]

Genoise [ʒenwaz]

Bavaroise [bavaʁwaz]

Cannelle (cinnamon) [kanɛl]

Cannelé (batter-based nibble) [kanle]

Dacquoise [dakwaz]

Dragees [dʁaʒe]

Pithiviers [pitivje]

Frangipane [fʁɑ̃nʒipan]

Macaron [makaʁɔ̃]

Millefeuille [milfœj]

Non pareil [nɔ̃paʁɛj]

If you are not familiar with the IPA have a look here where there is a clickable chart. A few quick pointers are that in an IPA transcription every element is pronounced. The consonants are largely similar to their 'neutral' forms in English, with the ʒ symbol representing the soft sound of 'g' in 'genre'.

The vowels are trickier and I would refer you to the site above for more information if you care about precision. It might be worth pointing out there is a difference between e and ɛ and between a and ɑ. The little squiggle ̃ means the vowel is nasalized.

I hope this is of some interest, if only minority.

R

Screenshot of the above:

Picture 69.png

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

gahhhh...i hate this sign of aging. can't for the life of me recall the french term for scoring the edge of dough with the spine of a knife to create a decorative border. anybody?? tia!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

gahhhh...i hate this sign of aging. can't for the life of me recall the french term for scoring the edge of dough with the spine of a knife to create a decorative border. anybody?? tia!

Friser? Maybe you mean "plier" (plee-aa) but that is a folded edge like on a pasty.

It's been forty years since I took a course in French cookery, and I recall few terms but these sort of stuck in my mind.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

thanks to you both. after some searching, i think the term i was looking for is chiqueter. refers to crimping, not necessarily, but possibly with the back of a knife. that may not be it, though...i still have that "unscratched itch" feeling about this term.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Yes, chiqueter is the term you're looking for. I don't know how many hours I've spent doing it on Galettes des Rois...

Yes the term is "chiqueter la pâte". It refers to either using a special tool to do the rim of a tart but also the gesture to push back a dough with a finger or knife...

I recall hearing a French culinary term meaning, "the best possible use/condition" for any particular ingredient.

Can someone please help, or just tell me that I was dreaming...

There is a method of pan cooking in lots of butter, where the butter is repeatedly pushed over the meat. I've seen it on some cooking show and wanted to read up on it more but can't remember the name of this technique. Any one know?

Basting?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

That Ducasse method is close to what I saw but not quite it. And the term they used was French sounding, nothing as easy as basting unfortunately. Thanks for trying.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By stellabella
      My neighbor's sister made a huge cassoulet for my neighbor's birthday dinner last night, and invited me to watch her assemble it on Friday. Sister is married to a Frenchman and spends about half the year in France--this is the technique she learned most recently. It was amazingly non-fussy, quick to assemble, and heart-breakingly delicious served with a light fresh salad and lots of home-made bread & whipped butter.
      For eight folks, four duck thighs, 4 duck legs [in retrospect she said she should've used more duck], 4 Italian sausages, 2 kielbasa, 2 bratwurst, the sausages cut into 2 inch pieces. First she browned 4 slices of salt pork, cut in half, in about 2 T of olive oil on top of the stove in a large roasting pan, then added the rest of the meats to brown. After 10 mins she removed the meat and added 1 minced oinion, a few cloves of garlic [careful, she said, if you have garlic-y sausages], and a couple shallots, all finely minced, and softened in the fat. Then one large carrot cut in chunks, and a couple celery stalks, de-threaded, cut in chunks. Then the meat went back in, along with 2# of small white beans, soaked for about 4 hours--Great Northern beans, because she wasn't able to get the French beans she prefers. Then, she added enough water to cover the beans, and a few sprigs of rosemary and parsley from the yard [she said sage is good, too], and about 1/2 cup strong tomato sauce--she said the best thing to use is the very concentrated tomato paste from a tube--and, she said, ONLY a small amount--this is more for color than anything else. Don't salt it, because the salt pork should be sufficient.
      The roasting pan went covered into a medium low oven for, well, hours, and she checked it periodically to see that the beans were cooking and the water not getting too low--if so, she added more. When she was satisfied it was done, she skimmed off some of the excess liquid--and they like to eat that as a light soup for lunch. Her husband says it's best to reheat the cassoulet a couple times over the next couple days, before serving--to bring the flavors together.
      The result was meats that melted on the tongue like communion wafers, in a flavorful stew of perfectly cooked beans.
    • By Loubika
      Hi everyone,

I'm a little pastry chief in France, still learning and really passionate. It's been five months that I did'nt studiy or practise and I miss that so much. I never stop talking about this. I decided to travel in south america to learn everything I can. I'm actually in Central Colombia, and I will travel to Ecuador, Galapagos, Peru, Bolivia and maybe a little bit more if I want to. I have time until march, more or less.

My project is to go in the farms and meet the people who grow up the raw material I use for make my pastries, Talk to them and see the plantation would be really helpfull for me to understand how does it works. If people need, I'm volunteer for work in exchange with accomodation and food for a few days. My spanish is not good yet, but I'm learning and sometimes it's more funny to not speak the same language. I'm interested about everything, exotic fruits, citrus, coffee, cacao, sesame, pepper, spices...

If some of you is, knows or works with farmers or pastry chiefs in those countries, I would be glad to meet you/them and learn everthing about the work. We can exchange good recipe too.

Thank you very much,
      Loubna

• By mikec
      Everytime I make Coq au Vin or similar chicken dishes the recipe calls for browning the chicken (creating a nice crispy skin) and then removing it only to return it to the dish to finish by braising in liquid. Unfortunately, when cooked in liquid, my chicken ends up losing its crispiness and turning grey and soggy.
      What am I doing wrong, or what can I do to retain then crispy factor?
      Thanks.
      Mike
    • By jmacnaughtan
      So I've been looking at this dish for a while, and while I've seen threads talking about where to eat it, I haven't found anyone who's actually made it.  I thought it might be fun to try.

This is the recipe I've found (in French, my apologies), and there's an informative YouTube video of same.  Again in French, and as a bonus in a heavy southern accent.

I'm going to pick up my hare, sausage-meat, foie gras and bard on Wednesday, and get to de-boning.  I'll see if I can get my better half to take a couple of photos or videos

If anyone has done this before, or anything like it, I'd love to hear any advice you might have.  As for now, I have a couple of questions for more experienced eGulleteers before I start:

1- I can't seem to get hold of the requisite pork back fat, but my butcher can provide veal kidney fat.  Is this a decent alternative?

2- I've been re-watching the video and re-reading the recipe, and neither say when to remove the string used to truss the hare.  Would it be better to do it after taking it out of the cooking liquor?  Once it's rolled and chilled?  Removing each small piece from each slice - but before or after it's reheated?  I have horrific images of doing everything perfectly, then have it fall apart right at the last moment.

So any input would be gratefully received.  In any case, I'll try and document the process as much as possible for future information/hilarity.
    • By tan319
      hello all.
      just wondering if anybody has a favorite way to cook their brulee.
      I just did some in a convection oven, low fan, 225 and they got a bit wierd on top. In oval dishes, BTW.
      Good texture inside. Just a bit wierd on top.
      I welcome any input.
      thanks.