• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York wine bars (2007)

Michael M

I have an unexpected visit to Manhatten this weekend and would love some wine bar recommendations. I'd prefer a place where the by-the-glass list is interesting, the servers/bartenders knowledgable and the food (even if just small plates) match the juice.

Thanks!

I'm not so fond of Centovini, myself.

My favorite (in part, however, because it's local) is Il Posto Accanto on 2nd Street between Avenues A & B. The staff is quite knowledgeable about the wine, all sorts of different excellent stuff is available, and the vibe is nice.

Varietal and Cru could both be seen to qualify as "wine bars" of a sort, as well. They certainly both have things to recommend them in the food department.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

If I need to meet somebody for a glass of wine relatively near my home I use Bar@Etats-Unis, on 81st between Second and Third. Everybody I've brought there -- editors, mostly -- has given really positive feedback. Also, right around the corner on 80th and Third is Taste, in the Eli's complex, which I'll use if I think drinks might or might not turn in to a real dinner. The food is surprisingly good and the space is very comfortable. I wouldn't recommend a subway ride to get to either, but if you're going to be in that area those are two solid choices for both wine and food.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Otto might be nice...great looking bar and excellent small plates to go along with a nice selection of Italian wines by the glass (sort of - it's a glass and a half serving, actually).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

In SoHo, NoLIta and the lower WV (all areas that I either reside in or have resided in), I'd recommend the following wine bars:

as noted above, Otto

the unnamed wine bar below Peasant.

Epistrophy

Xicala

The Room

Centovini

Ino

These are all "neighborhood" spots (well, except for Centovini due to is highly trafficked location).

I have not sampled it, but the new Monday Room at Public would probably also be interesting.

Its too bad that della Rovere closed, they had a 100 wines by the glass.

You could also sample the excellent collection of half bottles at Landmarc (many unavailable at retail)

the front room at the Tasting Room is also a good place to sample their eclectic wine list. alas, the food tends toward the mediocre.

Edited by Nathan (log)

There's also Vintage Wine Bar, at 482 Broome St. They serve exclusively NY State wines, which can seem to be an odd affectation, but there's a good bit of stuff worth a taste. 200 wines by the glass and a so-called local element (e.g. Long Island duck meatballs) to the "wine-friendly" food. Pairings and flights are also featured.

I haven't been, so I can't comment on quality, but I've shopped their retail space and had tastings there enough that convince me it's worth trying.

Christopher

I finally made it to Otto (last time I knew that space as Clementine) and had a blast. The bartenders make great recommendations and yes, you get a big glass and then you get this shorty carafe of more of it. Had a a plate of carne and a funghi pizza. All very very very good. That place is a steal.

Il Posto Accanto does (very generous!) quartinos as well.

I'll support at least part of what Nathan said. Some elaboration:

1) Still negative points for Centovini. Sorry; I just don't like the vibe or the block, and I'm actually not crazy about the selection.

2) While I like the Room (it was my regular in law school many moons ago, and has been a frequent meeting place for friends since), it's never blown me away on the wine selection. Like Von, it's a nice place to hang, but not an epicure's wine bar of choice, IMHO. (Also, it's *loud* and the music selection, again IMHO, leaves something to be desired.)

3) Otto has a fabulous selection, excellent prices, and knowledgeable service, but it is a bit of a crush; be prepared. I've done it on early evenings or at weird times on weekdays, but otherwise I just steer clear.

4) 'ino, its larger sister 'inoteca, Epistrophy, and the Public's Monday Room are excellent wine choices. Some other options if you go northeast are Bar Veloce and its sister winebar Bar Carrera. While the wine roster doesn't change so often, you get an excellent set of choices, the wines are well-maintained, and the vibe is nice. Also, consider In Vino on 4th Street (btw Aves A & B); the staff can be inexperienced (I should know; two friends of mine used to work there!) but the (Southern Italian) selection is nice.

5) The Bar@Etats-Unis is excellent, although absurdly crowded (not surprising given the paucity of choices in the nabe). Another option in the neighborhood is Cafe D'Alsace; although largely known for its beer selection, they have an excellent wine-by-the-glass options (as well as probably the best liquor bar north of 86th St). Also right by Cafe d'Alsace on 2nd ave and 88th st is cavatappo, a nice little surprise of a wine bar!

6) If you're on the Upper West Side, Aix (88th & Broadway) has a great wine selection, with a focus on Southwestern French wines. (The chef used to be a sommelier at some okay restos like Pre Catalan and Jean-Georges.)

7) I Trulli (27th Street) is an old standard as well, although probably skippable. Still, they do have a nice selection.

8) Morrell's (49th St btw 5th & 6th aves) has an amazing selection, but the crowd sucks and the prices are insanely high.

[EDIT: added cavatappo.]

Edited by Mayur (log)

How could you POSSIBLY like the block? The block is, like, awful.
Well, yeah. :hmmm: I guess I just find the combination of Centovini's location, atmosphere, and comestibles a bit underwhelming.
Could you talk more about the Monday Room?

Sure. I've only been twice (once for a quiet drink and once for a wedding anniversary bash), so others may have more to say.

Let me preface this by saying that I really like the food at the Public; largely because I am a big fan of the current Australian/kiwi approach to cuisine. I like its adventurousness, exuberance, and willingness to work with bright colors and big flavors on the plate. The Monday Room's "cuisine," so to speak, is not like that; it's much toned down, but the food probably represents the best set of small bites to accompany wine in NYC right now.

The place is (IMHO) quite charming; the overall effect is sort of English gentleman's club. It was very crowded both times I was there, but that didn't seem to really hurt the vibe. The decor is rather strikingly different from Public's avant-garde riff on civil architecture.

The wine list is gently priced, ever-changing (or at least it was substantively different on two visits separated by only ten days), and broken up into a suitable range of tastings, flights, and paired wine/savory courses. Nicely done; although I feel like I've seen it done elsewhere, the Monday Room version is clearly the product of an elevated gastronomic sensibility, though masked by the simplicity of the food pairings (compared to the Public's everything-on-a-plate mains, anyway!) and the menu language.

Food quality is excellent; about up to the standard of the Public's main dining room. Unlike the main room, the portions are *tiny.* In most cases, that seemed fine; The sea urchin was about as much as you get with a slightly oversized piece of uni sushi, which seemed fine to me, and the richer preparations (foie gras, chicken livers, etc.) were nicely portioned. In others (carpaccio, salads, etc.), I'd say they went a bit too far in trimming down the dishes, if only because complexity and intensity of flavor seemed to suffer. The best example of that is the venison carpaccio, which was about on the level of a barely-passable catered canape.

The crowd was rather annoyingly scenesterish both times I went (yes, including the private party I went to). Strong Upper East Side/Connecticut socialite quotient and a few self-styled "media" people. IMHO, ick. However, the owners' warmth more than compensates for this; they really are quite hospitable and knowledgeable enough about food and wine to enable those centered around the substance of the place to have a good time. Of course, what worries me is that the crowd is only likely to get worse over time, given that this place is in NoLIta.

FWIW, I think the Italian places offer the best oenophile experience going in NY right now. Batali's restaurants (Otto, of course; Lupa and Babbo do excellent wine service and have exceptional lists as well), 'ino and 'inoteca (I actually vastly prefer the former; 'inoteca's decor is a bit boring for my tastes), In Vino, and Il Posto Accanto have knowledgeable staff, voluminous wine lists, and good prices.

We just visited 'Inoteca and really liked it, they had a very good selection of cheeses and wines (mainly italian) and the service was helpful and enthusiastic. the space was comfortable also!

As much as I love 'inoteca for its food and wine, it can get extremely crowded at prime time, and there's not much room to stand around without being constantly bumped into...if you score a seat at the small bar while waiting, all the better.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

"Of course, what worries me is that the crowd is only likely to get worse over time, given that this place is in NoLIta."

That's one reason why I left the neighborhood. I first moved there at the end of 02 and loved it. Still my first NY love. It was exciting at first when the bars and restaurants started opening but now the crowd has just become annoying. Vig Bar is entirely composed of the 2nd Ave and 80's bar crawl (why they would come all the way downtown to hang out at a bar filled only with people they know is beyond me). They've killed Spring Lounge, which was my hangout. And they're making some pretty good restaurants avoidable. ok, rant's over.

In the EV, Grapes and Grain (or something like that) is also a decent option. Agreed that the wine list at The Room is only ok, but the beer list is spectacular (the vibe is better at The Other Room, but that's probably further than they want to go).

There's also a new-ish place that opened above Punch in Flatiron - it's called Wined Up. I haven't yet been there, but would love to hear if anyone else has been.

Casa Mono on 17th is also a good wine bar choice if you like Spanish wines and tapas and don't care about crowds (it's TINY and always full, but usually a good-natured crowd)