• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tall order on short notice: Jan 22nd, 2007

We're taking a one-day trip to Seattle from Vancouver to see my fiance's mentor for possibly the last time. I was hoping someone could point me toward a dinner location with creative but non-outlandish food, an atmosphere conducive to conversation yet lively enough in case a topic change is warranted, and not so formal that anyone will have to wear clothes that require ironing. (Greyhound bus doncha know)

Service is a huge aspect of the restaurant experience for me, and particularly for a special dinner like this, it would have to be attentive but not obtrusive.

We're overnighting at a hotel near Denny Way and Westlake Ave, so ideally the restaurant would be within a reasonable walking distance and be open to at least midnight/1 am-ish in case the conversational ball really gets rolling. We're only about a week and a half away so hopefully it would also be a place where it's not too hard to make a reservation.

Price could be up to $100 a head, but would preferably be more in the $50-$75 range. We're pretty open to all styles of cuisine.

I hope this isn't a totally idealistic restaurant wishlist. Any help would be very much appreciated!!

No, Serafina! It's maybe a bit too much of a walk, but we love it there. The food is good, the wine is good, a weekend night might be rather loud and a little dressy, but we're always comfortable there. I'm sure if you mentioned when you made your reservation that it's a special occasion and a quiet table would be appreciated, they would take good care of you.

Thanks for the suggestions, o lovely egulletters. I'll check them all out. It's a Monday night, which thankfully takes away some of the noise concerns.

Much appreciated, and let me buy you a coffee the next time you head to Vancouver.

Palace Kitchen! The only downside is that I don't think you can make a reservation for 3, but on a Monday you should be ok.

Great wine, superlative burgers, and plenty of other great food. I've also never had remotely bad service. Noise levels can certainly get up there, but again, not on a Monday.

Have fun in Seattle!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

None of these are walking distance of Denny & Westlake, in fact, not much is in walking distance of Denny & Westlake, especially in the winter. Are you up for a little cab ride?

I'll second Boat St Cafe!

Born Free, Now Expensive

None of these are walking distance of Denny & Westlake, in fact, not much is in walking distance of Denny & Westlake, especially in the winter. Are you up for a little cab ride?

I'll second Boat St Cafe!

6-12 blocks (except Serafina) - I walk more than that to get lunch or coffee in the morning.

6-12 blocks (except Serafina) - I walk more than that to get lunch or coffee in the morning.

A little cab ride certainly isn't out of the question, but living in downtown Vancouver I'm pretty used to doing a ton of walking too. So yes to both counts.

Unfortunately it now appears as though the mentor will not be able to join us in Seattle because of poor health, so we're refocussing the point of the trip.

No Salumi for lunch unfortunately because I'll be checking out the David's Bridal $99 sale in Tacoma/Tukwila, and the the options for dinner are endless.

Boat Street is lovely, but two caveats:

The service will be more informal than you may want - since one of the servers is intent on touching me every time she comes over, they don't meet your "unobtrusive" requirement.

And I think they're closed on Monday anyway...

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”