• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a professional knife sharpener

NYC Mike

Hi All,

We had all the knives sharpened before we moved down in July but its time for another trip to the shapener. The steel dosen't have that same refreshing effect it should.

Any ideas? We would go in-town if we had to but would love to stay near John's Creek/Alpharetta area.

Thanks,

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

Possible options to call and speak to about your knives:

Ksw/International Knife & Saw

3077 McCall Dr

Atlanta, GA 30340

Southeast Cutlery

450 S Cemetery St Ste 104

Norcross, GA 30071

Cook's Warehouse

549 Amsterdam Ave NE Ste 1

Atlanta, GA 30306-3472

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Possible options to call and speak to about your knives:

Ksw/International Knife & Saw

3077 McCall Dr

Atlanta, GA 30340

Southeast Cutlery

450 S Cemetery St Ste 104

Norcross, GA 30071

Cook's Warehouse

549 Amsterdam Ave NE Ste 1

Atlanta, GA 30306-3472

I use Southeast Cutlery over in Norcross and have been very pleased w/ their work. They are not the easiest place to find (Cemetery St is an extension of Holcombe Bridge Rd that runs fr/ Roswell to Norcross and changes names as it goes through d/t Norcross if that helps). Since they are not too far fr/ where I live they are also convenient (having said that call me when you are in the area and we will find lunch).

Other suggestions:

There are a few sharpeners that will come directly to your house but they can be expensive as some charge mileage or more per knife to make up for travel expenses.

Ask at a local restaurant who sharpens their knives. Some times they are on a schedule and you can meet who ever sharpens their knives when they show up at the restaurant and have yours done.

Some Krogers will sharpen knives for free--as will some butcher shops. I can not vouch for their sharpening skills but it is worth a call to get the information.

Good luck!

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much. That SE Cutlery is really VERY close to where we live, its on the same route we use to get to DFM so I'm gonna add a stop there our next trip. I am about 2 min away from the Medlock Bridge/McGinnis Ferry intersection. Lunch sounds good!

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

There is a really great knife sharpening service called Bladesmith, run by a guy named Jeff Edges. His dad was featured on one of Alton's Good Eats episodes.

He sharpens knives for several local restaurants.

He also does all of the knife sharpening for Cooks Warehouse and Harry's Farmers Market -- you basically drop off your knives and he comes by once a week, then they call you for pick up.

I highly recommend him. I have used his services at both Cooks Warehouse (in town) and Harry's (Roswell).

Maybe check with the new Whole Foods in Duluth to see if that's who they use?

Edited by greg_in_atl (log)

• 2 months later...

I agree-I don't trust SE Cutlery-we used them at my restaurant for the first year we were open and I had nothing but trouble with those guys-the knives never stayed sharp, and we did VERY HEAVY vegetable prep.

Geoff Edges is your man-that's who we're using now, and he does sharpening on-site (he even does our personal knives and the ever-important Robo-Coupe blades).

He and his son do great work.

"have a sense of humor about things...you'll need it" A. Bourdain

Every restaurant I cheffed at in Atlanta I used Bladesmith. The Edges do incredible work and are very professional. If I ever went back to the kitchen i would use them again.

I've wondered by never asked. If you guys drop your knives off for sharpening, what do you use to cook until you pick them up!?

I usually do it in two trips: drop off the ones that I've noticed are really dull and then the rest get dropped off when I pick up the first batch.

Which reminds me, it's time to get it done again.

We use Geoff for a monthly service, he comes once a week for about $25-$30/wk, and he also will sharpen the ever important robo-coupe blades for a small fee-he's also certified to work on the equally-as-ever-important Beurre mixer, which he's done for us as well. There's no "dropping off" involved, when he comes he has his machine in his truck and does it on-site-he's the only one I'll trust with my Henckels Santoku (aside from myself, of course...).

I hand my knives over to him, move on to "non-knife" prep and then resume when I get them back 20 min later.

"have a sense of humor about things...you'll need it" A. Bourdain

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my knives back from being sharpened by the Bladesmith and life is good!

I dropped them off at Harry's / Whole Foods in Roswell. His normal day for sharpening is Wednesday.

Cost was $4.50 per for straight (non-serrated) knife.

• 11 months later...

I realize it has been a while but....

I ran in to Geoff Edges the other day and mentioned that I needed my knives sharpened. He keeps "office hours" at his ware house 3715 Northcrest Road, #35 (just off fr/ I-85--go west on Northcrest just past the Exxon station and look for the office complex on the left just behind a rise. Go around to the back) on Mondays prettty much all day. That is much more convenient for me than dropping things off at a place and picking them up days later. I had about a half-dozen knives sharpened and it took about an hour (it woud have been less time but Geoff and I had to solve all of the problems of the world and gossip about mutual acquaintances). His telephone number is 770/ 938.6324 & 770/ 935.0148.

btw, they did an excellent job as I just went through an inch thick carrot as if it was butter.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.