• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bocconcini: tiny balls of mozzarella cheese

Yesterday, I was in my new Trader Joe's and bought a container of bocconcini, mozzarella balls packed in water.

I put them into a salad and used a vinaigrette on them but they didn't really absorb the taste ...

Should I melt them on something?

Should they be marinated?

So, my question here is in what way are they best utilized to enjoy their fresh, creamy taste?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Yesterday, I was in my new Trader Joe's and bought a container of bocconcini, mozzarella balls packed in water.

I put them into a salad and used a vinaigrette on them but they didn't really absorb the taste ...

So, my question here is in what way are they best utilized to enjoy their fresh, creamy taste?

About an hour before you use them, marinate in a pinch of Kosher salt, pepper, a crushed clove of garlic, two teaspoons of lemon juice and two tablespoons of EVOO - they will never taste better.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I like making a simple salad with these lil buggers...cut in half, half some cherry tomatoes, toss with sea salt, pepper, good balsamic, and evoo - at the end tear up some basil...very simple, the cheese should absorb the balsamic...great stuff, even better the next day.

I like making a simple salad with these lil buggers...cut in half, half some cherry tomatoes, toss with sea salt, pepper, good balsamic, and evoo - at the end tear up some basil...very simple, the cheese should absorb the balsamic...great stuff, even better the next day.

Exavtly what I do.

I love those things.

About an hour before you use them, marinate in a pinch of Kosher salt, pepper, a crushed clove of garlic, two teaspoons of lemon juice and two tablespoons of EVOO - they will never taste better.

YUM!!!!!! I would be tempted to add some chili flakes as well....

Make a quick beer batter. Dip the balls in some flower, then into the batter, then into some bread crumbs. Form the ball in your palm so all the sides are nicely coated. Heat up a pot of oil to 365, and drop te balls in a few at a time so the temperature doesnt lower too much. Once they are golden brown remove them and let them cool slightly. Eat them with a nich tomato and balsamic collis.

I know its deep fried cheese balls with katchup, but that was my first experience with this cheese. Since its so bland itself it lends itself to this sort of extreme treatment. But thats just me.