• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What language is on this menu?

A restaurant called "Seafood Cove" in Garden Grove (Little Saigon), Southern California, has printed their menu in 4 languages. I recognized 3 of them: English, Chinese and Vietnamese. I could not figure out what the fourth language is. Thai? Lao? Indian? Or something else?

I have the original 5 Mpixel picture uploaded here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/8627788/ea04ed...Cove4_orig.html

If anybody recognize the language on this menu (under the Vietnamese), I would love to know which it is. TIA.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

After staring long and hard at the listings for "shrimp" in my Laos and Cambodia phrasebooks (the only Vietnamese word I could understand with clearly legible text below it), I'm going to definitively say Khmer.

I'm so glad Vietnam uses a romanized script! I forgot how hard it is to first train your eye to see the script; then to sound out a meaning.

We have a Cambodian restaurant in Brooklyn, and while it doesn't print the menu in Khmer it does have a great sales pitch across the top of the menu:

" ** No Pork - Less Fat - Better Than Chinese Food! ** "

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thank you very much everybody. It makes a lot of sense.

Seafood Cove is located at the edge of Little Saigon (Garden Grove) in Orange County. It seems then that there might be a high population of Cambodian-Americans living in the areas besides Vietnamese.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"