• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a Dal recipe

paul mitchell

I can appreciate that the Owner of the Indain Foods store here in town doesn't want to give out his Dal "family recipe" without me signing up for his Sunday cooking class for $40 - I brought him my Food TV recipe today and let him have a look over so I could buy the ingredients at his store - basically, he scoffed at the recipe and wasn't much help after that.

Anyone out there know how to give lentils that necessary love that turns them into Dal?

My favorite recipe for masoor (yellow-pink) dal:

Heat black mustard seeds and curry leaves in oil until spitting

Add dal and water

Add salt and your favorite ready-mixed dry spices (Kitchen King, etc)

Simmer until dal is done

Add ginger-garlic paste (not as much as you'd need if you'd browned it first)

Add kasoori methi to open up the flavors a bit

Lime juice, lemon juice, or wine vinegar are also good for brightening the flavor

We've got some yummy ones here in the Indian food forum by Suvir Saran as well as others. A note of warning: dal is spelled in different ways.

Suvir Saran's 5-lentil dal in the Daal/dahl/dal/dhal thread

There are other ones to be found in the forum but if I remember correctly, it is hard to run the search on words with a small number of letters which is why I chose to search for the word "lentil".

jayne

p.s. I also recommend Suvir's cookbook.

I suggest you post over in the India section of the forum, and you'll probably get more detail than you can handle. Since it's a fairly "generic" question, it's best to check for previous posts first. You can also look around on the Web, there are good resources out there for Indian recipes. To start with, Pat Chapman's Curry Club website should keep you busy for a few days, but there are plenty of others.

Edited by Ohba (log)