• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving on up...

ulterior epicure

Yesterday (January 8), I received my February issues of Saveur, Food+Wine, and Bon Appetit (Gourmet has yet to show)... I've never noticed them coming out SO soon?

Is the industry moving up their issuance dates? Anyone? :huh:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I noticed the same thing, UE. I started reading about Valentine's Day, Chinese New Year . . . and actually had to check the calendar to see if I were even more confused than usual.

But I reasoned that they also send renewal notices about six months into a year's subscription, so I assume it's just a way to get more dollars more quickly. If they can even get a fraction of subscribers to renew two months ahead, the interest is nothing to sneeze at. With more competition for ad revenues, perhaps they're actually looking to subscribers to help turn a profit?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

It's possible that the U.S. Postal Service is to blame (or credit). . . :smile:

Magazines usually send out their subscription copies by bulk mail, often 6-8 weeks ahead of expected delivery times (which is why address changes typically take 6-8 weeks to process). If the magazines sent their February issues out on the early side expecting Christmas postal delays, and the Christmas delays didn't happen, their February issues would arrive early in readers' mailboxes.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

• 2 weeks later...

I recall looking for a particular issue of Gourmet (I think I was looking for a February issue in February), and when I called, they said it is their policy to remove the issues from the newstands on the 8th or 9th of the month and replace with next month's issues.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 2 weeks later...

Sports Afield, Outdoor Life, and Field&Stream also show up ridiculously early. That's OK; half the fun of a fishing/birding/hunting expedition is in the planning. Can't cook 'em if I don't shoot 'em, right?

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!