• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Californian's first trip to NYC

Swicks

Just my two cents -

Since you're staying in Chelsea, I'd definitely hit up the Chelsea Market at 9th Ave b/t 15 and 16th Streets. Great indoor shopping 'mall' in an old wharehouse type building. They tape food network shops like Iron Chef america there on the 3rd floor. Inside is a number of amazing bakeries, candy shops, kitchen stores, restaurants etc.. but one of my favorites is a great fresh seafood market that has amazing soups for very cheap.

Also Dinosaur BBQ on the upper west side is one of my fav bbq joints in the city - they house smoke all the pork and with some unusual sides like pork fried rice and beautiful pulled pork, ribs et al, it's hard to beat for great simple homestyle fare.

also WD-50 is a great restaurant for the price - Wylie Dufresne's place.

and Chika-lious is a great dessert place on 2nd ave and I think 8th street. great 3 course dessert with wine pairing.

j

Aren't you that gay guy who recently reviewed the steakhouse in a strip club?

maybe, just dont tell rich. :wink:

Now you really owe me a cocktail.

Hey wait a minute Daisy, if your that guy's secret identity, may I see the out-takes from the photos you published?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I like Shake Shack more than In N Out.  It's a preference thing.  Shake Shack pack beefier flavor in a similarly small burger.

Ditto. IAO burger isn't as great as the hype. SS burger with a side of crinkle cuts - that hits the spot for me.

Any recs for brunch on sunday with a large group of 10 people? I would have loved to go to Balthazar but they cant accomodate our party.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

And yet another....

Our dinner on sunday seems to be a problem, we have a large group 10 people. Any recs other than something like Buddakan?

I was thinking perhaps tapas? Boqueria does not take reservations....

would tiny places like tia pol and casa mono accomodate such a large group?

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I'll think about it.

Casa Mono does not accept parties of more than 6.

Lupa has a large communal table in the front that I once saw them seat the entire cast of Crossing Jordan at on a Sunday night....it's worth a shot.

Otto could definitely seat you.

Otto is good b/c they take large parties but damn that is a loud room. They may also make you do some kind of fixed menu. Worth a try.

Tia pol takes resys for large groups for 2 seatings at like 6:30 and 9.

Freeman's takes resys for groups of six or more - you could do dinner or brunch. Great cocktails.

I assume that when you called for Balth they checked bookings for Pastis as well?

Will keep thinking.

For dinner, Parea (Greek, Flatiron) has really good food and can accommodate large parties. The menu is really set up to share too. I've gotten many a reservation for a large group in a pinch.

inoteca (Italian small plates/LES) has a downstairs room and they may be able to take a large group.

For brunch = dim sum in Chinatown?

Nathan, I actually left a message at Lupa, that might be a good spot if they can fit us in. I tried A Voce but they couldn't do it.

daisy, thanks for the help. yes they checked pastis as well. Im going to call tia pol tomorrow. Freemans is a good call as well. As far as brunch, Im doing lunch at a dim sum place earlier in the week but a good suggestion.

Also Dinosaur BBQ on the upper west side is one of my fav bbq joints in the city - they house smoke all the pork and with some unusual sides like pork fried rice and beautiful pulled pork, ribs et al,  it's hard to beat for great simple homestyle fare. 

I like Dinosaur BBQ, too, but then again, it's literally a 10 minute walk for me. If they're staying in Chelsea, why not someplace like RUB? Much more convenient location, and I'd guess the BBQ is just as good.

That being said, would I come to NYC to eat BBQ? In a word, no.

And yet another....

Our dinner on sunday seems to be a problem, we have a large group 10 people.  Any recs other than something like Buddakan? 

A few ideas, some of which came from my search for a birthday meal for myself and 11 friends a while back: Momofuku Ssam Bar (bo ssam), Daisy May BBQ (whole pig), Craft (very conducive to family-style dining, though I'm not sure they do groups that big), Public (fixed menu), Compass (no fixed menu), Stanton Social (I've never been, so I have no opinion on the place), Picholine (OpenTable says they can do a party that large), Chinatown Brasserie. These are all over the map, of course, both location-wise and price-wise, but I'll continue to give it some thought.

Otto is good b/c they take large parties but damn that is a loud room.  They may also make you do some kind of fixed menu.  Worth a try.

I'm pretty sure the fixed menu only applies to groups of 12 or larger, though I'm not certain.

Thanks.

Yes the fixed menu is sort of a problem i am running into with most places for a group this large.

Hey all,

quick update on our plans thus far....huge thanks to all who contributed!

Friday Lunch - Chinatown Brasserie Dim Sum

Friday night dinner - Bar Room at the Modern

Saturday - Pubs!

Sunday Brunch - the Odeon or the EU

Sunday night dinner - Otto

Monday - tbd

Unfortunately for me Momofuku was vetoed by some other people in our group...what do they know?? I might have to squeeze it in on my own...

Hi there!

I'm sure you're probably locked in to plans, but:

For Sunday brunch, you really should consider Landmarc instead of the Odeon if at all possible.

Regardless, those are good choices. The Bar Room is really exceptional IME.

Are you just doing Monday lunch, or dinner as well? Ssam Bar is open Monday evening, and is perhaps the best place in town for that evening, since it's a chef's night off then.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Are you still looking for a tapas place for a group? If so, you might want to try Pipa, Alta or Stanton Social(The latter may be more of a scene than you want but the food's good and it can be fun). You can see food samples and informal chef interviews for Alta at http://www.nyrestaurantvideos.com/nyrestau...ideosalta1.html

and Stanton Social at http://www.nyrestaurantvideos.com/nyrestau...tonsocial1.html

(Disclaimer -it's my web site)

Also, if you are still looking for something to do and the weather is nice, you can check out Big Onion Walking Tours for inexpensive tours of different parts of town.

Unfortunately for me Momofuku was vetoed by some other people in our group...what do they know??  I might have to squeeze it in on my own...

Your avatar tells me that, yes, you should squeeze it in on your own. :cool: Or perhaps just say the word here on eG and I'm sure some of us could easily be talked into joining you!

Unfortunately for me Momofuku was vetoed by some other people in our group...what do they know??  I might have to squeeze it in on my own...

Your avatar tells me that, yes, you should squeeze it in on your own. :cool: Or perhaps just say the word here on eG and I'm sure some of us could easily be talked into joining you!

second that.

Is it possible that some members of your group confused Momofuku Ssam with Momofuku proper? or that they're unfamiliar with the menu change?

another thought...Otto can be great...but it's easy to order wrong there as well.

emphasize the cured meats and contorini...that's where the action is. the pizzas I have mixed feelings about...though I highly recommend the lardo...and if they have one with guanciale that evening...order that and ask them to add a fried egg on top.

by all means get some cheeses (they really do this well) and do a flight of house grappa at the end. definitely do gelato. Meredith Kurtzman makes the best gelato this side of San Crispino (the best gelato on the planet). order the olive oil, ricotta and whatever else your group wants.

Really?  Is Otto's gelato better than Il Lab's?  I've had San Crispino's gelato and it was out of this world.

the difference is night and day. (everybody else serves Il Labatorio's gelato....what Meredith does at Otto is outstanding)

Nice, thanks!  I'll make sure to try Otto's gelato.

Can I chime in and second/third(?) the comment about her olive oil gelato? It is unbelievable (well, it's unbelievable initially that you would consider eating olive oil gelato)...then you close your eyes and dig in. And never look back. It's a poem!

ENJOY.