• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Californian's first trip to NYC

Swicks

My favorite Chinatown dim sum place is Oriental Garden (at least based on one visit so far for dim sum). I haven't been to Dim Sum Go Go, however.

Michael aka "Pan"

Ping's is small and cramped but pretty decent for dim sum in Chinatown. I think you're better off having the "over rice" platters or roasted meat noodle dishes at New Big Wong's or Great NY Noodletown instead. Or head to Goodie's for soup dumplings.

I'll get zero respect from my fellow locals on this one, but should you and the gang find yourself in festivy-St.Pats-drunken-haze and desire a bare bones drunken hang-with-the-local (drunks) experience it could be fun to stumble into one of the many (food serving) Blarney Stones for a somewhat traditional (large portion) of cornbeef and cabbage. A bargain at around $10. Beer dirt cheap too. They can get a little rowdy on Greenday but hey that's the point.

Or if you just want really good cornbeef and/or pastrami, Katz's Deli is the measure by which all are judged....(tons of info online)

That wasn't chicken

My favorite Chinatown dim sum place is Oriental Garden (at least based on one visit so far for dim sum). I haven't been to Dim Sum Go Go, however.

OG is arguably better IMO as well, but they are very heavy on the seafood. I tend to prefer a little more variety, which DSGG has in spades.
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

OG is arguably better IMO as well, but they are very heavy on the seafood. I tend to prefer a little more variety, which DSGG has in spades.

Well, I love seafood, so that could be coloring my views.

Michael aka "Pan"

Just noticed I am missing the spring re-opening of Shake Shack by one day!

Dammit!

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

the Shake Shack is quite good...but frankly, it wouldn't be a big deal for you. it's more that it offers things that are hard (or impossible) to otherwise find here. (i.e. butter burgers and Wisconsin custard, Chicago hot dogs...etc....I think you have options short of coming to NY to find those)

Would it be considered better than In N Out? (if you have had it)

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I like Peasant...but I could see how someone could find it bland. With that said, I could see it as a restaurant doing very well in CA....its ingredient-driven. If you do go there...get anything that comes from the oven...

Good to know. Still working on the friday res.

I have Bar Room at the Modern and A Voce currently.

Great thanks. I think I am going to stick with the modern, a fried that is going with us has eaten there and loved it, also he has a friend who works there.

Anyone have any thoughts on Peasant restaurant?

I don't remember ever disagreeing with Sneakeater on liking a restaurant, but I do like Peasant. Have only been once, but the food was pretty freaking good. It is dark, I must give you that.

Would it be considered better than In N Out?  (if you have had it)

what exactly could be as good as In N Out?!

Another discussion entirely, but few things really. I am lucky to have regular access.

I don't remember ever disagreeing with Sneakeater on liking a restaurant,

Not that I obsessively read your posts or anything, but:

Russian Tea Room

Klee

nope, i haven't been to either - ? there can't be another daisy17 . . . . (can't wait to hear who you've confused me with!)

Edited by daisy17 (log)