• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q: Tailoring of Technique & Leadership

I'd appreciate learning how you have adapted culinary techniques from the multiple, robustly-staffed European kitchens you directed for implementation in the Ouest kitchen. Please provide examples of how particularly labor-intensive dishes have been addressed (including by exlusion from your menu, as applicable) at Ouest.

In addition, please discuss whether, from time to time, you miss some of the types of leadership opportunities you had when you were sous-chef at Manoir and The Square and chef at L'Escargot. In your mind, is the sense of ownership (incl. through creation of a restaurant) you have at Ouest a good substitute for any reduced sense of leading a large brigade? What are the transformed types of leadership that you exhibit more of at Ouest, with a smaller team? :raz:

Nice question!

The transformation hasn’t always been smooth sailing, menu design and proper planning always help. I tend to have to arrive earlier to get a few of the time consuming things accomplished. Not always possibe, phone and general things to do get in the way. I have not cut any corners in creation, execution, and preparation of any of the dishes or the basics at Ouest. I can quite honestly say that I really enjoy Ouest and it’s small brigade I still get to cook everyday and pass on all my experiences to fellow Canadians.