• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Les Halles (Coral Gables)

Mr. Delicious

I was on a south FL vacation, and when searching I found out there was a Les Halles in the Miami area. I was very excited, maybe because I am such a fan of Bourdain (I own all of his books), I do realize that he has very little affilliation with them now, but I still had to eat there. We were there for a late lunch (first mistake). When we arrived we were one of about 6 tables, so they were in no way busy. We shared some food first some onion soup, and some escargot, both were good but in no way amazing. Then came the mussels (portugese style) and the frites. Mussels were decent, frites were good, but maybe not to my expectations. Our server ruined our meal, he took the order and brought the bill, nothing more. When spending $25 each for lunch this is a joke. I'm not saying I would blame Bourdain for this or anything, I will still buy his next book, but I was very dissapointed in my meal, but 80% because of the service. I guess it is true that in SF there is very little great service. To sum it up it may have been my most dissapointing meal in years. I just wanted a refill of water, that would have helped. Anybody agree or disagree??

I think Bourdain was simply the Executive Chef at the NY stores. I believe he did some training elsewhere, but for the most part I get the impression that he has little influence on Les Halles now. The restaurants are owned by two other individuals.

I had a bad experience a few months ago and after a phone call got a response from the manager offering a free meal for 2. I didn't want to take him up on the offer. After another visit things went well. The waiters always seem hurried so maybe it's a manpower shortage thing.

I was on a south FL vacation, and when searching I found out there was a Les Halles in the Miami area.  I was very excited, maybe because I am such a fan of Bourdain (I own all of his books), I do realize that he has very little affilliation with them now, but I still had to eat there.  We were there for a late lunch (first mistake).  When we arrived we were one of about 6 tables, so they were in no way busy.  We shared some food first some onion soup, and some escargot, both were good but in no way amazing.  Then came the mussels (portugese style) and the frites.  Mussels were decent, frites were good, but maybe not to my expectations.  Our server ruined our meal, he took the order and brought the bill, nothing more.  When spending $25 each for lunch this is a joke.  I'm not saying I would blame Bourdain for this or anything, I will still buy his next book, but I was very dissapointed in my meal, but 80% because of the service.  I guess it is true that in SF there is very little great service.  To sum it up it may have been my most dissapointing meal in years.  I just wanted a refill of water, that would have helped.  Anybody agree or disagree??

I've never been to the CG location, but comparing it to the NYC branch, I think you had a pretty representative experience. If you couldn't get more water, that's a stike against any restaurant, and of course service varies by who's waiting on you, but in re-reading your description of the whole meal, that's exactly what I would have expected going in.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, that sounds like a typical meal at LH. Food is merely OK, service is usually absent and the bill for two with wine is always around $70-80. I live in Coral Gables and find that this place always seems empty, whether it's lunch or dinner, weekday or weekend. That is really the ironic part, IMO, about empty places with absent waiters...you'd think the opposite would be true. Coral Gables really needs fewer places like that.

I live in Coral Gables

Can you comment on Chispa? Has the original chef left? Is it still good? Did you like it to begin with?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I was on a south FL vacation, and when searching I found out there was a Les Halles in the Miami area.  I was very excited, maybe because I am such a fan of Bourdain (I own all of his books), I do realize that he has very little affilliation with them now, but I still had to eat there.  We were there for a late lunch (first mistake).  When we arrived we were one of about 6 tables, so they were in no way busy.  We shared some food first some onion soup, and some escargot, both were good but in no way amazing.  Then came the mussels (portugese style) and the frites.  Mussels were decent, frites were good, but maybe not to my expectations.  Our server ruined our meal, he took the order and brought the bill, nothing more.  When spending $25 each for lunch this is a joke.  I'm not saying I would blame Bourdain for this or anything, I will still buy his next book, but I was very dissapointed in my meal, but 80% because of the service.  I guess it is true that in SF there is very little great service.  To sum it up it may have been my most dissapointing meal in years.  I just wanted a refill of water, that would have helped.  Anybody agree or disagree??

I've never been to the CG location, but comparing it to the NYC branch, I think you had a pretty representative experience. If you couldn't get more water, that's a stike against any restaurant, and of course service varies by who's waiting on you, but in re-reading your description of the whole meal, that's exactly what I would have expected going in.

Reflects my experiences with the New York Les Halles, too -- from opening years ago till now.

I have to make the somewhat snobby observation that going to a distant outpost of a restaurant that used to be associated with a Celebrity Chef because you like his books is sort of asking for trouble.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you comment on Chispa?  Has the original chef left?  Is it still good?  Did you like it to begin with?

markk,

Not sure about the chef at Chispa, I've always liked the food there but am mostly drawn to the appetizers there so I typically eat at the bar. The flavors and textures are always right on. I like the chorizo empanadas, the flat breads (more like small pizzas), and salt cod bacalaoitos (sp?). They have a nice wine by the glass list as well.

The service on the other hand is a bit iffy, but the last time I had an issue (an overcharge) the manager was quick to remedy it. This was after the bar refused to remove the item...

The place is good for people watching, it gives you a good window on the Coral Gables "scene."

Sorry in advance, for going off topic...

Jorge