• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me plan my day after breakfast at Balthazar!

scase805

So my plan is to wake up early and drive up to Balthazar from Philly for breakfast. My girlfriend and I have the car for the day, so we were also going to take a ride up to Arthur Avenue (never been before, want to see how it compares to the Italian Market in Philly) later on. I'm thinking we walk to the Essex Street Market after breakfast, but from there I'm not sure. Ang (the gf) said that she always feels like we go to NYC without a plan and end up lost, frustrated and in general totally discombobulated (hey, I actually spelled that right on the 1st try!).

I am reaching out to you, fellow eGulleters. Help me plan my day in NYC. We're both in the food industry and we're up for anything. So far its just Balthazar and Arthur Avenue, no plans for lunch or dinner (I'd like to show her the Shake Shack maybe, especially if the weather is still ungodly warm). Obvious tag: the gf also loves to shop - so even though this is generally a food-related question, feel free to mention where we can find the haute couture as well...

Man, I can't believe I just asked about haute couture. I think I need to go eat some red meat.

Thanks in advance!!!

Exceptional food + wine tours of Sicily & Puglia.

Export manager: regional Italian foods

Blogging at: Getting Lost in Sicily

"At the table, you forget your troubles."

- Sicilian proverb

Word.

well, let's see balthazer breakfast, arthur ave, inbetween hmm jackson heights for some indian goodies and shopping? you can peek about at some great gold jewlery too which she should like, chinatown, congee, dumplings? koreatown, bbq panchan? snacks at tia pol ( tapas)...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Yeah, I saw that article :angry:

We've wanted to check out Balthazar for awhile now, I guess our trip will be bad timing. Just reading about the bread basket that comes with breakfast pretty much sealed the deal, regardless of how much busier it will be because of the NYC article.

:blush: Color me embarassed regarding Shake Shack. Now you know why I posted here - otherwise we would have just showed up and it would have been a complete mess...

Thanks for the suggestions so far - keep 'em comin'!

Exceptional food + wine tours of Sicily & Puglia.

Export manager: regional Italian foods

Blogging at: Getting Lost in Sicily

"At the table, you forget your troubles."

- Sicilian proverb

Scott -

You can do some serious food while you're there and I'm sure the eGulleteers will give you tons of advice on that front. It would be nice to have some filler between feedings. Is there any way I can convince you to take in a Broadway show?? I'm a huge fan of NYC theatre.

Here's a suggestion I think you'll love even if you're not a theatre lover: Putnam County Spelling Bee.

It's in a small theatre. Very funny. Before the show, they pick a few patrons to play small parts in the play, which adds to the spontaneity. Highly recommended.

Think about it. If you want more suggestions, I've seen about half of what is currently playing.

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

If you're breakfasting at Balthazar, no reason to stray far for shopping or fun nibbling. Hit the Soho branch of Bloomie's. Its a smaller selection than their flagship geared towards the younger set... I'm 30 and it still amuses. Otto Tootsi Plohound is on Lafeyette near Balthazar and has a nice shoe selection. You could look up a few specific boutiquey locales to hit in Soho to shop... perhaps center a crawl around some standards like Marc Jacobs and see what you find in between. Work your way west through Soho, hit Kee's chocolates and make your way to Sullivan Street bakery for their much talked about potato pizza.

I know what the PA state stores are like - if you like booze, consider hitting Astor Place Wine for a good selection of treats to take home. Oh yeah, and if your gf wears Levi's, the store on Bway near Balth was having a ridiculous sale when I was there 9 days ago. 20 bucks a pair! If she likes cosmetics, there is a big Sephora on Bway near Balth as well.

Edited by baw (log)

I hear that New York has other attractions besides eating and shopping, delightful though those passtimes are. Why not jot up to MoMA and then cop a small plate or six and brutally expensive wine by the glass at the cafeteria or whatever the hell they call it there?

Lunch, dinner, it's cool. I'd probably avoid peak times, though.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Is there any way I can convince you to take in a Broadway show??  I'm a huge fan of NYC theatre.

Here's a suggestion I think you'll love even if you're not a theatre lover:  Putnam County Spelling Bee.

It's in a small theatre.  Very funny.  Before the show, they pick a few patrons to play small parts in the play, which adds to the spontaneity.  Highly recommended.

Think about it.  If you want more suggestions, I've seen about half of what is currently playing.

-Mark-

Re: theater, I highly recommend "Avenue Q", Sesame Street for adults as it were.

Howard

Brunch at Balthazar is great. Don't deny yourself just cuz it's famous. Be sure to make reservations, that's all.

As for shopping, Soho and Nolita (the neighborhoods around Balthazar) are great for that, if that's what your girlfriend likes. Bloomingdale's is, like, the least interesting of it. (But I'm not the guy to say any more than that.)

And, by the way, if you're driving, don't go to any of those restaurants that I hear will serve you alcohol. (NY Board in-joke. Sorry.)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Actually, I think you should make it a circuit and end your visit at Room 4 Dessert (about two blocks from Balthazar) for a late dessert. I guarantee you your girlfriend will love it. I guarantee you'll love it, too.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Go to Vosges chocolate! Great & interesting flavors. Plus it's in SoHo where your girl can shop her heart out. You can dull the pain of shopping in the city on a weekend by eating one of their Barcelona bars (milk chocolate w/ roasted almonds and grey sea salt).

Yes, Bloomie's may be uninteresting relative to the high-end boutiques you get in Nolita and Soho (if you know what streets to walk down, which is why I encourage a targeted crawl). And yes, Broadway shows and MoMa are wonderful. But we're talking a day trip and I'm talking from the point of view of a woman who recently left living in that 'hood for Boston, a city (in my bratty opinion) with crummy shopping, booze, and restauarants. I make it back to NY about once a month and I hit the place like a well oiled machine :biggrin: I've been planning my drink tomorrow at Death and Co since my trip was scheduled 10 days ago.

I nearly broke my back with goodies from Astor and 'uninteresting' stores on Broadway during my last visit. Maybe Philly is way better than Boston in shopping and eating, but sometimes, its all about efficiency :wink:

Edited by baw (log)

Is there any way I can convince you to take in a Broadway show??  I'm a huge fan of NYC theatre.

Here's a suggestion I think you'll love even if you're not a theatre lover:  Putnam County Spelling Bee.

It's in a small theatre.  Very funny.  Before the show, they pick a few patrons to play small parts in the play, which adds to the spontaneity.  Highly recommended.

Think about it.  If you want more suggestions, I've seen about half of what is currently playing.

-Mark-

Re: theater, I highly recommend "Avenue Q", Sesame Street for adults as it were.

Howard

Avenue Q is basically the most amazing show ever.

Yes, Bloomie's may be uninteresting relative to the high-end boutiques you get in Nolita and Soho (if you know what streets to walk down, which is why I encourage a targeted crawl).  And yes, Broadway shows and MoMa are wonderful.  But we're talking a day trip and I'm talking from the point of view of a woman who recently left living in that 'hood for Boston, a city (in my bratty opinion) with crummy shopping, booze, and restauarants. I make it back to NY about once a month and I hit the place like a well oiled machine  :biggrin:  I've been planning my drink tomorrow at Death and Co since my trip was scheduled 10 days ago.

I nearly broke my back with goodies from Astor and 'uninteresting' stores on Broadway during my last visit.  Maybe Philly is way better than Boston in shopping and eating, but sometimes, its all about efficiency  :wink:

That's exactly why I suggested Barney's, Bergdorf & Saks. They carry higher end merchandise but are a one-stop shop. Saks is good if she likes to see all coats in one area, gowns in another, etc. Barney's and Bergdorf are better if she shops by designer.

However, since Balthazar is in Soho, if you know which stores you want to hit, you CAN plan ahead. The other stores are uptown and worthwhile only if you're planning to stop that way as you head to Arthur Avenue.

edited to correct spelling.

Edited by hshiau (log)

Hmmm my one and only experience at Balthazar was terrible...

As for shopping definitely check out Barney's for labels you don't often find around Philly. Also don't forget to browse around Soho, NYC can't be beat when it comes to shopping.

If your main reason for going up to arthur avenue is to go food shopping, keep in mind that the retail market and most of the little food stores close by 6pm. If you want to make it from philly, have brunch at Balthazar, shop and hit arthur avenue, you're going to have to be focused. Not that it's not possible, but you just have to have a plan. Allow at least an hour for driving up to the bronx, more if it's getting to be near rush hour. Unless you're planning to have dinner in the bronx, you should probably have brunch, then arthur avenue, then drive back to manhattan for whatever else you want to do. Most stores in manhattan are open until 8 or 9.