• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Salmon Croquette

Mayhaw Man

We had salmon patties for dinner last night. I grew up in Tennessee with a father from Detroit and a mother from Tennessee. My mom made salmon patties as long as I can remember and I remember my dad talking about making them with leftover baked salmon from wealthier days before we moved to Tennessee (when I was 2).

My mom's recipe involves a stack of crushed premium crackers and an egg mixed into a can of unpicked salmon. I also remember hoping to get a patty with a bone in.

I think the prevalence may have to do with the advent of Home Economics. This is purely speculation on my part but it doesn't take too big a leap in logic.

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

and Fat Guy--I have a feeling that canned salmon predated canned tuna as a pantry staple--it truly was the one fish item that ever reached anywhere away from the coasts.

I believe canned salmon predates canned tuna by about 40 years, but we're talking about a long time ago. By WWI they were both well established. I'm not sure when the trend lines crossed, but certainly during my lifetime canned salmon sales have lagged far behind canned tuna sales.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We had salmon croquettes fairly often when I was growing up in southeastern KY (1970's). I agree with others who think it was a budget stretching food item, but we all really liked them. I liked mine with ketchup and they were always served with mashed potatoes, a green vegetable (often lima beans), and fruit of some sort (my favorite was the canned fruit cocktail....I think it's awful now, but boy did I love those bright pink cherry bits when I was little!). Like Racheld's grandfather, I loved to crunch the round "fossil-y" bones. Mom doesn't fry food much at all now, but my birthday is coming up soon...this thread is making me want to ask for croquettes for dinner!

I, too, ate salmon croquettes fairly often as a child growing up in the South. Since I was notoriously obnoxious about what I could eat and what made me cough* when I ate, I suspect that finding something easy to prepare that didn't make me cough was very welcome to my mother and my grandmothers.

Our salmon croquettes had to be made with Argo Red Salmon. I don't know why, but I clearly recall being told when I got married and was collecting my favourite family recipes that good salmon croquettes could only be made with Argo Red Salmon. With my pedestrian taste, I always ate my salmon croquettes with ketchup -- Heinz only. I still occasionally eat my salmon croquettes with ketchup, though I haven't seen Argo Red Salmon in a store in years.

*As a child, I frequently told family members that certain foods would make me cough. Further description of my version of coughing is probably unwarranted here.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely grew up eating salmon croquettes, one of my Georgia-born mother's standard weeknight meals. She never picked out the bones -- we were told they were a source of calcium. I'm sure her version dated to the Depression, when reliable sources of protein and calcium were precious. In addition to fried patties made with canned salmon, we also had codfish balls on a regular basis. Once again: Cheap canned fish, dressed up in a way the kids would eat it.

As for Southern salmon croquette moments, don't forget "Driving Miss Daisy," when Hoke replaces the can of salmon. That's why Miss Daisy would have had all that salmon in the pantry. Depression-era women like my mother stocked up whenever the Piggy Wiggly had a sale. Just in case, you know, Hard Times came back.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

About once or twice a month growing up in Georgia. Always served with rice and tomato gravy made from home canned stewed tomatoes.

Mom switched to canned tuna when I was a teenager. It seemed like it was more of a winter thing for some reason, though.

I make them about once a year. I know every southern household I ever spied the contents of the pantry had anywhere from two to five cans of salmon, depending upon how recently the Piggly Wiggly had a five for a dollar sale.

• 9 months later...

Salmon croquettes - mom used to make 'em when she made chopped liver. and we kids, especially me, loved 'em. Last night, while giving Buddy, my cat, a little salmon treat, I decided to make up some croquettes, not having had them since I was about twelve years old. They were pretty good, and so easy to make (never made 'em before).

Searching the 'net one can find numerous recipes for these "fish burgers", some look great, some not so great, and often the recipes and techniques reflect regional differences.

So, what is YOUR favorite croquette or patty recipe.

shel

... Shel

We called the "rissoles" in my family.

Good also with any firm white fish.

Equal quantities of lightly cooked fish, mashed potato (cooked), onions lightly softened in oil and lots of parsley. Season quite heavily, bind with an egg, and if too moist add matzo meal.

Form into balls and roll in matzo meal. (no need for extra egg or batter)

Preferably deep fry to golden brown.

Warning: These evaporate if left accessible.

Not a recipe, but a way to save money-- I buy salmon bones and scrape the meat off the bones with a spoon when I make salmon cakes. It comes off easily, and tastes the same as a pricey filet.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

We call these krabby patties (after the food on spongebob squarepants show) it was the only way to get my son to eat them when he was young. :smile:

I do pretty much the same as jakal10 and I use russet potatoes any other type does not seem to bid as well, but I make mine flat like a hammburger patty and cook with a little peanut oil and serve on a bun with homemade tatar sauce and coleslaw on the side.

I do put mine in the frig for about 30 mins or so this seems to help them from coming a part.

I have at times due to lack of time and sometimes to going in a different direction used bread crumbs instead of the potatoes and add red and green bell peppers they turn out pretty well.

Not a recipe, but a way to save money-- I buy salmon bones and scrape the meat off the bones with a spoon when I make salmon cakes. It comes off easily, and tastes the same as a pricey filet.

Good idea ... maybe my fish monger can help out. Thanks,

shel

... Shel

Thanks to you and Jackal10 for the idea of using potatoes ... mom didn't use taters, and it never crossed my mind to use 'em either.

shel

... Shel

Funny thing is, I always thought of salmon croquettes as aNew York Jewish thing, and now I see they were quite common in the south as well.

I had a dish called 'lobster corn dogs' the other day that were basically the same idea. They looked identical to jackal10's croquettes and were served on sticks. You can get anyone in Minnesota where I live to try anything if you fry it and put it on a stick. :smile:

Anyone who says I'm hard to shop for doesn't know where to buy beer.

My mom and grandmother made these the same way as jackal10, and they were always served with creamed peas. I find creamed peas depressing but salmon cakes are pretty good. What's even better, I think, is to do the same thing but minus the salmon and plus a few peas, dredged in bread crumbs, fried in butter and oil, then served with a lemon wedge. If you have nice dry potatoes and then rice them, and are judicious in your use of egg, they can be so wonderfully crunchy and light and homey in that particular potatoey way--really lovely, and then with a squirt of lemon--I need to make these!

I did not grow up with them but my sister makes them often in Sydney where she picked up the idea. Last New Years in Idaho for a family reunion, left with a "doggie bag" of potato gratin, sauteed local salmon and sauteed spinach that had to get used up that day we experimented. Used my hands to squish everything up and added an egg for binding. Nothing to make bread crumbs with, so lightly floured and then slowly sauteed in butter until golden. The altitude forced me to take the saute slow since I had no choice. With a horseradishy mayo they were lovely. I have to thank the chef who had seasoned the food in its first incarnation. I learned a new technique and started a new tradition. We now see all leftover potatoes, proteins and veggies as possible tasty patties.

I've done it in many styles, but a favourite is adding fried and browned shallots and finely chopped kaffir lime leaves and pickled chillies. Many ways to finish it; if I want crunch, I dip it in egg, then roll in almond flakes. This picture shows it simply rolled in oatmeal. And to cut down on the fatty content, I bake them.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

• 1 year later...

So I'm making salmon croquettes for dinner tonight from left-over salmon that we barbecued two nights ago. Loved reading this thread and all of the thoughts about this meal.

My family has Texas origins, also pretty far from salmon country, but we had salmon patties fairly regularly. One reason, not mentioned here, is that in Catholic homes, which included us, my mom was always looking for a meatless dinner on Friday nights.

Canned salmon was cheap and tasty.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

In South Chicago (prior to the fam's transplant to SoCal) they were salmon patties. The requisite canned salmon, gross skin, grey flesh and spine bones carefully discarded, flaked and mixed with sauteed onion, egg, packaged dry bread crumbs, dried parsely flakes, dry mustard and S&P. Rolled in more packaged bread crumbs and shallow-fried in margarine. The onion was also sauteed in margarine. No need to waste butter for this. The mix was moistened with some of the salmon "juice" from the can if needed. Excess juice was given to the very grateful family dog. Who then had fish breath belches for the rest of the night.

Served with tartar sauce (bottled of course......) and, our little nod to gourmet-dom, fresh lemon wedges.

This model survived the Family Pierogi's move to the 'burbs of LaLaLand.

Friends who grew up in SoCal had the same thing, but called them salmon burgers, which were served with white sauce, sometimes dolled up with bottled horseradish. But in my house it was tartar sauce and lemon only. If you got frozen French fries with the patties, so much the better, because they were especially good dipped in the tartar sauce.

They made a routine appearance in Mom Pierogi's repertoire. Not so frequently in mine, but I still do make them at least a couple of times a year. Using Mom's recipe card, of course.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Salmon patties were the bane of my childhood. My mom didn't make them. Her dad was allergic to fish, so she really only grew up eating fish sticks and doesn't really like it all that well. We're Catholic, and my school made them a LOT on Fridays. Plainly stated, they sucked. I tried taking my lunch every time they were on the menu. I found out later that my little brother loved them. He once ate 7 from surrounding kids.

Last week, my mom said my dad had been talking about the salmon patties he had as a kid (he's not Catholic, and is more Southern than mom's family), so we should make them for dinner. I resisted. I couldn't imagine making them not taste like catfood. She found a recipe online that had lots of Asian/Thai flavors - cilantro, chili flakes, lemon zest, etc. Covered in panko. I made a rice wine vinegar based cole slaw to go with. They didn't shake my world, but I did realize I should probably give them a second try.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I, too, grew up (in PA) eating salmon croquettes made from canned salmon (with bones included) onion, celery, egg, cracker crumbs. Ours was ALWAYS served with creamed peas! I still make it the same way and I still serve with creamed peas! I usually only make this dish on Fridays during Lent. In fact, I plan to make it this evening. But there is no reason it shouldn't be year round fare!

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Grew up in rural West Tennessee and we'd have them at least twice a month. I agree with previous posters -- they were cheap, quick, easy, and something to break the pork monotony. While there was a plnetitude of fish, the only way anyone ever cooked it was fried, and that was a lot of trouble, so it was a special event or an outdoors meal, so this was a way to get fish into the diet.

As I recall, it was chopped onion, salmon, eggs, flour, salt and pepper. I've also made 'em with tuna, and have come to substitute cracker crumbs for part of the flour; better texture. A key is to drain the salmon first, and use only one egg per can, and just enough cracker crumbs/flour to bind it.

Usually accompanied by green beans and mashed potatos, for whatever reason.

I get the urge and make them occasionally. Bought a can of salmon the other night for that very purpose, in fact.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My mom always made them with saltine cracker crumbs.

The recipe I used the other night was with packaged bread crumbs, and it turned out great:

1 16-oz can salmon, not drained, flaked, bones removed or crushed (as I said, we used left-over wild Atlantic salmon that we had grilled the night before, and that greatly improved the flavor and texture of the final product)

1 small white or yellow onion, grated

2 T minced flat-leaf Italian parsley

2 large eggs, beaten

black pepper to taste

1 to 1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs

3 tablespoons butter

In bowl, combine salmon, onion, parsley, eggs and pepper. Add enough bread crumbs, about 1/2 to 3/4 cup, to make thick enough to shape into patties. Roll patties in bread crumbs to coat. In large skillet, over low heat, fry patties until brown on one side. Turn and brown on other side.

Serve with tartar sauce.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I grew up here in the Sierra foothills with both. My paternal grandmother made them into cone shaped croquets and served them with a cream sauce. Don't remember if it had peas in it or not. They were lovely.

Mom, who was rather an off hand cook, never removed the bones or skin. She never mastered mincing so anything with onion had chunks of half cooked onions. I detested them but was forced to consume them anyway although I picked out the bones.

Now my daughter makes them every month or so and does them very well using cracker crumbs, egg, grated onion, and seasons them with basil. We usually eat them with just a vegetable or salad.