• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lyon revisited, what's new?

The Viking

Going back to lyon for the Bocuse D'Or 2007, and have 2 dinners and 2 lunches where I want to try the out of the ordinary in all respects, whether experimental or traditional. Troisgros is already scheduled for Monday night.

Last time, thanks to Lucy's Cookbook gave me a pleasant surprise at Chez Pierre as a typical neighborhood restaurant as well as Gourmet de Seze. Looking amongst others at Magali & Martin and Nicholas Le Bec's place. Other suggestions (Apart form Michelin starred restaurants).

Have car, might travel for lunch..

Going back to lyon for the Bocuse D'Or 2007,  and have 2 dinners and 2 lunches where I want to try the out of the ordinary in all respects, whether experimental or traditional. Troisgros is already scheduled for Monday night.

Last time, thanks to Lucy's Cookbook gave me a pleasant surprise at Chez Pierre as a typical neighborhood restaurant as well as Gourmet de Seze.  Looking amongst others at Magali & Martin and Nicholas Le Bec's place.  Other suggestions (Apart form Michelin starred restaurants).

Have car, might travel for lunch..

I was there roughly this time last year and Nicolas le Bec remains my outstanding memory. It pipped Leon de Lyon in my book and was streets ahead of Bocuse. I can't comment on the smaller/simpler restaurants. We never quite managed to find the right place.

Si

I'm glad you enjoyed Chez Pierre & Goumet de Seze -

Also try on Rue Martiniere in the 1st arrondissment, not far from Magali & Martin, the restaurant Potager des Halles has a new chef who has gone solo after working in Bocuse's brasseries. It's a local neighborhood place that does a very good execution and interesting plat du jour like truffled soups and sweetbread fricasee last time I ate there - you'd probably be able to get in at short notice if you find yourself in the neighborhood.

I would also recommend Nicolas Lebec highly. http://www.nicolaslebec.com

A great combination of innovation and tradition. Also the service and the atmosphere extremely pleasant.

As a simple neighborhood place I enjoyed Restaurant Thomas a lot. Especially the quality of the ingredients came through very well. Very seasonal. When I ate there last july the star course was a sensational dessert of variations around cherries.

http://www.restaurant-thomas.com/