• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork belly & daikon radish

Gastro888

That recipe sounds delicious!! Does anyone have a pic of the end result?

you should try it, it is a really good recipe. and its very simple and delish. just make sure the pork belly that you get is skin on. i've tried this recipe a number of times and its always good, and i've transmitted this recipe to my mom as well and she makes it for my family and they love it. although she cuts back on the five spice powder since my dad doesnt care much for it. he says it smells like perfume. :wacko:

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

here's how mine turned out this evening...

in the pot i had the pork belly, garlic, star anise, ginger, coriander, cloves, cinnamon sticks, shiitake mushrooms, mushroom soysauce, 1 and 1/2 bar pein tong, and enough water to cover the pork. I had it simmering for 3 hours.

gallery_41019_4000_139353.jpg

this pic is kinda nekkid :shock: , without the braising sauce

gallery_41019_4000_11781.jpg

and here's with the sauce mushrooms and dried lilly flowers

gallery_41019_4000_54857.jpg

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Oh, I see you DID use bing tong.

I haven't been using pork belly because it is way too expensive to buy here. I was looking at a small slab, about 12" x 12", and it was going to cost me $30.00! Pork shoulder picnics with the skin on was $1.00/lb last week, so I stocked up. May not have as much fat on it, but that's ok diet-wise. :wink: I have also made this with pork butt roast if I find a piece with a good layer of fat. That turned out well also.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Oh, I see you DID use bing tong.

I haven't been using pork belly because it is way too expensive to buy here. I was looking at a small slab, about 12" x 12", and it was going to cost me $30.00! Pork shoulder picnics with the skin on was $1.00/lb last week, so I stocked up. May not have as much fat on it, but that's ok diet-wise. :wink:  I have also made this with pork butt roast if I find a piece with a good layer of fat. That turned out well also.

30 BUCKS???!!!!! :shock: omg thats really expensive! is it laced with gold? how come pork belly is more expensive there?

First of all: I don't eat fatty pork since I was a kid, with the very occasional exception of "mui choy kau yuk" (pork belly braised with preserved vegetable). Once every few years. So I have not made braised pork belly.

If I were to do this, however, I would skip the marination and searing steps. Go with mixing the dark soy sauce, rock sugar, 5/6/7/10 spices whatever... Place the pork belly along with the braising mixture and start cold with slow fire from the get go. Let is slowly heat up, and braise it for 4 to 5 to 6 hours.

One thing I found with searing the meat or putting it in boiling water - the meat shrinks immediately and thus will not be as tender as otherwise. I would advice to try at least one with starting the whole thing cold with slow fire. I cooked beef stew before with this method and the result was better. And... always cook the meat in a whole chunk and cut it before serving.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Gastro - Did you pan sear or cook the pork belly whole and then cut it up afterwards?

I pan seared it and then added the liquid, which I had brought to a boil prior to adding it to the pot. And now after reading Ah Leung Goh's tips, I realized I goofed. :blink:

I did add dark soy to the pot while it was cooking but I probably goofed by not starting out with dark soy. Ultimately, yes it tasted good (for a 1st try!) and it was edible. :laugh:

Hey aznsailorboi, your pork belly looks great! That's an awesome job you did! Wow, you cook so well for a youngin'! :laugh::cool: (Only teasing!)

...with mixing the dark soy sauce, rock sugar, 5/6/7/10 spices whatever...

Ah Leung Goh, what are the spices you're mentioning here?

OK, now I'm really determined to get this right. I won't be able to cook pork belly until next week. Tonight I'm making dinner that's not Chinese (pan seared duck breast w/ ligonberry sauce, pasta a la vodka and salad w/ balsamic dressing) and the rest of the week, it's Western food. (STEAK!) :biggrin:

Hey aznsailorboi, your pork belly looks great! That's an awesome job you did! Wow, you cook so well for a youngin'!  (Only teasing!)

Gastro Jieh, haha *blush* thank you thank you :smile: Its called passion for cooking, and of course training from my Mom since I was young helped alot.

... although she cuts back on the five spice powder since my dad doesnt care much for it. he says it smells like perfume. :wacko:

That must be some cheap perfume. :raz:

thats actually what he meant by making that remark......cheap perfume, so if I used Armani he may like it Bwahahhahaa. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

how ironic though people think some spices smell like cheap perfume, but back in ancient times these spices in minute amounts can be payment for land, animals, trade, properties,etc.

...with mixing the dark soy sauce, rock sugar, 5/6/7/10 spices whatever...

Ah Leung Goh, what are the spices you're mentioning here?

Oh... just tongue-in-cheek thing. Use the traditional five spices. Some people like to add additional spices. So, add whatever you want.

Now a test for you Gastro mui:

What are the traditional five spices?

how ironic though people think some spices smell like cheap perfume, but back in ancient times these spices in minute amounts can be payment for land, animals, trade, properties,etc.

Yeah... part of what started the east and west trade routes and started many wars...

If it wasn't because of that, you and I might not be where we are today!

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

you should try it, it is a really good recipe. and its very simple and delish. just make sure the pork belly that you get is skin on. i've tried this recipe a number of times and its always good, and i've transmitted this recipe to my mom as well and she makes it for my family and they love it. although she cuts back on the five spice powder since my dad doesnt care much for it. he says it smells like perfume. :wacko:

Yeah! It sounds really simple to make and it sounds delicious!! I have to go to the store to buy some fresh pork bellys. However, my markets always precut the belly pieces to 8" x 3". That should be okay too right?

Never thought 5 spice powder would smell like perfume but it does have a powerful smell to it. It's one of those spices that you can taste just from the smell in the air. If that makes any sense at all. :laugh:

Oh and hears a tip to making braised pork belly from my lovely grandmother:

1) par boil belly first and discard liquid

2) in a plate pour a thin layer of soysauce and put belly skin down on the plate for at least 30 min

(this process allows the skin to take on a lovely dark red color)

That way you don't have to put too much dark soy to achieve the color for the skin and your veggies will come out not as dark.

Edited by XiaoLing (log)