• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago in March

Kerry Beal

Ok how dressed up do I have to get?  I don't do high heels. 

Neither do I, Kerry. Well at any rate, very very seldom... :laugh:

I'm certainly interested in the Senegalese, gotta try the pizza, gotta check out the italian beef sandwich. 

I am really looking forward to this trip, not only for the chocolate class!

My sentiments exactly! :biggrin:

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Shopping.... Chicago is a great place to shop for ethnic food ingredients although the best stores tend to be out in the neighborhoods or in the suburbs.

It is, though, absolutely worth it to find a way to Niles to visit H Mart for Korean foodstuffs and all kinds of produce, for example, and to head to Devon Avenue for Indian food shopping (Patel Brothers made the Saveur 100). Depending on your enjoyment of grocery shopping and interest in the cuisine, it might be worth a trip to Arlington Heights for Mitsuwa (Japanese) or to one of the various Uni-Marts (Filipino) or even to drop into a Treasure Island for a unique urban shopping experience.

We have wonderful sausage makers of almost every ethnicity, some top-notch cheese purveyors, and interesting delicatessens and groceries of various types. If you have particular ethnic interests, there are other places that merit visiting. For example, a terrific store for smoked fish, open weekends only, but you'd better know what the kind you want looks like or be able to read Russian.

We also have some excellent chocolatiers and ice cream makers. Provide some more specifics on your interests and you'll likely get better recommendations.

LAZ

Shopping.... Chicago is a great place to shop for ethnic food ingredients although the best stores tend to be out in the neighborhoods or in the suburbs.

We also have some excellent chocolatiers and ice cream makers. Provide some more specifics on your interests and you'll likely get better recommendations.

Well, I think I speak for all when I say we're interested in the small artisan chocolate makers of Chicago. Any recs?

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Well, I think I speak for all when I say we're interested in the small artisan chocolate makers of Chicago.  Any recs?

Belgian Chocolatier Piron is a small shop in Evanston that has been well-reviewed nationally and internationally. An example from SavoringChicago.com:

Belgian Chocolatier Piron

From Issue No. 9, Feb 05 – Chocolate Shops

There are Chicagoans who have traveled to Europe and fallen in love with the chocolates in Belgium. What they discover when they return home is that they didn’t need to stock up on all those boxes of chocolate at the Brussels airport; they can get the same—some say even better—chocolates right here in Evanston at Belgian Chocolatier Piron. The minute you walk into this charming small European-style shop, the aroma of fresh chocolate wafting from the kitchen in back beckons you to ogle the beautiful assortments of chocolates stacked neatly on small gold-ruffled trays displayed in two cases. Some 30 varieties are offered, with most available in milk or dark chocolate. As far as what to expect, “Belgian chocolate is very delicate,” explains co-owner Bob Piron. “And they have to look as good as they taste. That’s one of the Belgian philosophies.”

And they do. There are beautiful marbleized Fruits de Mer in the shape of sea shells, prawns, and escargot filled with a divine chocolate hazelnut praline. The Paté de Noisette are exquisite—chocolate diamonds filled with a blend of milk chocolate and hazelnut praline laced with diced pecans. Insanely good chocolate Marzipan rectangles—so hard to find—are decorated with fine white stripes. Unsweetened cocoa dusts the very popular truffle made with a milk chocolate cream center dipped in semisweet chocolate. A perfect chocolate rosette coiffs the Grand Marnier semisweet chocolate cup.

The Pirons use only the best, purest ingredients, including fresh butter and cream (and never any tropical fats, preservatives, stabilizers, or extenders), as well as fruit compounds and liqueurs imported from Europe. “We use the real deal,” says Bob, “and that makes all the difference.” The chocolate-covered candied orange peels, for instance, are made from a Spanish orange, which the Pirons find to be less bitter than others. The dipped glacéed apricots are of a premium quality from Australia. And the chocolate-covered cherries are a French Morello cherry soaked in brandy. It’s hard to go wrong with anything you select here.

Belgian Chocolatier Piron

509-A Main Street

Evanston, Illinois 60202

Phone: 847-864-5504

I second the recommendation for Piron. Their chocolates are awesome.

Most days you'll see Bob Piron in the back of the shop, making the chocolates. Go there early if you want to see him with a clean apron, later in the day to see him with his apron full of chocolate smudges! :smile:

Yes, Piron is one of those I was thinking of.

On a somewhat larger scale, there's

Vosges Haut Chocolat, http://www.vosgeschocolate.com, makers of exotically spiced chocolates.

Coco Rouge, http://www.cocorouge.com, also produces unusual truffles.

On a more traditional front, there is Canady, http://www.canadylechocolatierchicago.com.

For more family-style treats: Mr. Kite's Gold Coast Confectionary, 312/664-7170,

1153 N. State St., Chicago.

And let us not forget Margie's, http://www.margiescandies.com, a Chicago treasure.

You may also be interested in the Blommer Chocolate Factory, http://www.blommerstore.com, where they start with cacao beans. No tours, alas, but they do have an outlet store.

LAZ

I have no idea if he "plays in the same league" as the other chocolatiers mentioned here, but there's Patisserie P on Argyle Street, a modest spot that has the benefit of being right across from Tank Noodle and right at the end of a dense block of Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants, groceries, bakeries, and shops.

The one time I went in there, the proprietor and a staff member were making chocolate right in plain sight at the back of the shop.

It also has the benefit of being extremely convenient to public transportation, as the Argyle stop on the red line lets you off smack in the middle of all of the fun.

• 2 weeks later...
I have no idea if he "plays in the same league" as the other chocolatiers mentioned here, but there's Patisserie P on Argyle Street, a modest spot that has the benefit of being right across from Tank Noodle and right at the end of a dense block of Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants, groceries, bakeries, and shops.

The one time I went in there, the proprietor and a staff member were making chocolate right in plain sight at the back of the shop.

It also has the benefit of being extremely convenient to public transportation, as the Argyle stop on the red line lets you off smack in the middle of all of the fun.

As we are attending class at the French Pastry School, it will be interesting to see what some of the students have accomplished. Peter Yuen of 'La Patisserie P' graduated in 2000 and a mere five years later opened his own place. I'm always amazed at the determination some people have to own their own business. This is a great recommendation germuska, thanks.

The fact that is is near a bunch of Asian restaurants sounds like an added benefit :smile:

I prefer Vosges over Coco Rouge. I was somewhat disappointed with Coco Rouge's chocolates. My husband and I tried 6 different truffles, and none of them seemed to be strong enough with the infused flavor. I don't mind subtle or when something takes a little longer to reach the palate, but we honestly had a hard time telling the difference between them. Though I did enjoy two of their hot chocolates. If I was in the area again, I would definitely go back for the hot chocolates. The people were super nice also. With that being said, Vosges has never disappointed me.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

As we are attending class at the French Pastry School, it will be interesting to see what some of the students have accomplished.  Peter Yuen of 'La Patisserie P' graduated in 2000 and a mere five years later opened his own place.  I'm always amazed at the determination some people have to own their own business.  This is a great recommendation germuska, thanks.

The fact that is is near a bunch of Asian restaurants sounds like an added benefit  :smile:

FWIW, I misspoke before. The chocolate-oriented shop directly across from Tank is Peter's second business on Argyle Street, Sweet Passion

If I recall correctly, La Patisserie P is more about pastry than chocolate, and has a bit of asian-style baked goods mixed in with the European style things. No reason you can't go to both, of course...

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I tried 6 different truffles, and none of them seemed to be strong enough with the infused flavor.  I don't mind subtle or when something takes a little longer to reach the palate, but we honestly had a hard time telling the difference between them.

I don't know if anyone has ever heard of Romanicos in Miami, but I ordered some truffles from them and I had the same problem. I was looking at their flavor chart and eating the truffles wondering if I was actually eating the truffle flavor they said I was. Sorry for dropping in on the thread and writing about something non Chicago, but this just reminded of that experience. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

There is another Chicago thread on the go that I'm following with interest. I need some opinions on the Frontera Grill, would you guys suggest it is a place that we chocolatiers check out this trip?

I prefer Vosges over Coco Rouge.  I was somewhat disappointed with Coco Rouge's chocolates.  My husband and I tried 6 different truffles, and none of them seemed to be strong enough with the infused flavor.  I don't mind subtle or when something takes a little longer to reach the palate, but we honestly had a hard time telling the difference between them.  Though I did enjoy two of their hot chocolates.  If I was in the area again, I would definitely go back for the hot chocolates.  The people were super nice also.  With that being said, Vosges has never disappointed me.

I feel as if the Vosges (both bars and truffles) vary wildly as far as how much of the advertised flavors they have. These days I am buying only bars-- the truffles are so small and expensive and, to me, have too thick of a shell-- and mostly the ones labeled "dark milk chocolate" vel sim. I am generally a fan of dark chocolate but I don't think most of the flavors stand up well to that. Something in dark milk chocolate, especially with salt, such as the Barcelona or Goji bars, seems to hit the right balance for me.

Agreed, the hot chocolates are good and the store is fun.

Something in dark milk chocolate, especially with salt, such as the Barcelona or Goji bars, seems to hit the right balance for me.

Having tried just about all of them, I'd say that the Barcelona is definitely my favorite.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

There is another Chicago thread on the go that I'm following with interest.  I need some opinions on the Frontera Grill, would you guys suggest it is a place that we chocolatiers check out this trip?

If you've never been, I would definitely check it out. I haven't been in awhile so I can't recommend anything specific. There are some other threads that you can look at also (you might have to search on Topolobampo).

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

Topolobampo has a big advantage over Frontera Grill: they take reservations in advance, on opentable.com

There are other places in town, too; Bayless's places, while good, are not IMHO the "holy grail" of Chicago eating. If you are specifically interested in regional Mexican food, there are also Adobo Grill (two locations in Chicago) and Tepatulco. And if you're not set on Mexican, there are many, many fine dining restaurants worth checking out, everything from the top chefs at Everest (Jojo) and Avenues (Bowles) to the more hip/casual, and less expensive (but still wonderful) places like Aigre Doux and One Sixty Blue, just to name two (there are many others). All of the places mentioned in this paragraph accept reservations on opentable.com

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone for their input, I think it gives us a lovely overview of places to shop and places to eat. Most of us are arriving today in your windy city. For sure we will be checking out pizza, sandwiches, the chocolate stores around.

I forgot to ask if there are any good thrift stores downtown, as I love to go searching for old culinary items in them.

I don't know how easy it will be to check our e-mails, but if any local folks want to join us for a lunch, dinner or shopping, please PM us, or give us a dingle at the Club Quarters across from the French Pastry School. I've got chocolate!!!

I want to thank everyone for their input, I think it gives us a lovely overview of places to shop and places to eat.  Most of us are arriving today in your windy city.  For sure we will be checking out pizza, sandwiches, the chocolate stores around. 

I forgot to ask if there are any good thrift stores downtown, as I love to go searching for old culinary items in them.

I don't know how easy it will be to check our e-mails, but if any local folks want to join us for a lunch, dinner or shopping, please PM us, or give us a dingle at the Club Quarters across from the French Pastry School.  I've got chocolate!!!

Club Quarters, at least the last time I was there, had a couple of public-use computers with Internet access.

I don't recall any thrift stores downtown, but I think there's a Salvation Army store on Milwaukee near the Damen stop on the Blue Line.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Topolobampo has a big advantage over Frontera Grill: they take reservations in advance, on opentable.com

Clarification: Frontera Grill takes reservations too, but only for dining that day, and you need to call the restaurant to make them.

Have a great time, and let us know what you enjoyed!

So we walked down to Frontera Grill last night, just to discover they were closed on Monday. Went instead to Brassiere Jo. Excellent dinner.

Well, the others were exploring China Town and I thought some of the restaurants looked a bit iffy. So I headed back into town to make up for the missed dinner at Frontera Grill. Walked in the door right about 6:00pm and was able to get a table immediately. It was lucky for me because they were filling up fast.

I had the Pollo… something… sorry I didn't write down the exact name but it was a locally raised (I assume) chicken in a yellow Oaxacan mole topped with fiddle head greens. The chicken was flavorful and tender. Sauce was good too and with a kick but not overly spicy. One thing I liked is that they give you plenty of food but not enough to feed three people…

For dessert, I had a Red Banana Flan which was just excellent (and frankly, I wouldn't mind having again tonight). Very nice execution.

John DePaula
--------------------

On the other end of the spectrum, Giordano's pizza was certainly edible. Expecially since I hadn't eaten in about 18 hours. There isn't much else I can say about it, though the word "lackluster" seems to pop to mind. It was filling, though…

John DePaula
--------------------