• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calphalon life time warranty

foodie3

it appears that my 3.5 qrt windsor pan made by calphalon (commercial hard anodized) has turned "silver" which means it deanodized.

calphalon no longer makes this particular pan, also the rest of the line has changed so much since they started manufacturing in china, that i wouldn't buy it today.

does anyone have experience with their life time warranty products?

what sort of replacement can i expect from them?

it appears that my 3.5 qrt windsor pan made by calphalon (commercial hard anodized) has turned "silver" which means it deanodized.

calphalon no longer makes this particular pan, also the rest of the line has changed so much since they started manufacturing in china, that i wouldn't buy it today.

Ignorant question here: how does that happen and why is it important?

Ignorant question here: how does that happen and why is it important?

i don't really know why this happened, on their website they state that acid may be the cause, in my case - its unlikely.

my understanding is that once a pan becomes deanodized its no longer inert and will react with food.

I have two pans, that I have had for many years, one a 12 qt stockpot, the other a wide casserole, that have silvered. I simply avoid cooking high-acid foods in them. The casserole is great for browning chunks of meat and odd-shaped birds, etc. I recently cooked veal stock in the 12 qt and had no problems. I have also sent one in and received a prompt return of a new pan which I don't notice is much different from the original.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I returned a 14" covered saute pan with short handles which had de-anodized and Calphalon replaced it with the same size but with a long handle, plus the lid, which I hadn't sent because it was fine. No problems at all. I enclosed a letter telling them that the pan had been always washed by hand and had not been used that much to begin with, which was the truth. They will replace it with the most similiar they have. Definitely return it, that's why you got a product with lifetime warranty to begin with.

I don't know if this is current information, but as of a few years ago if you bought your Calphalon at Williams-Sonoma you could get it replaced there without the need for mailing. We did this once and it was a quick and painless transaction.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

How can you tell if it has de-anodized? I have an All-Clad LTD non-stick saute pan that has suddenly turned a disturbing light grey on the interior. I was thinking of getting rid of it, but if I can exchange it, all the better.

• 11 months later...

Too bad you are having trouble with an All Clad and not a Calphalon. In my personal experience, Calphalon honors their lifetime warranties, no questions asked.

Meanwhile, All Clad makes it difficult, if not impossible, to even get one of the required mailing lables so you can send your pan in for "evaluation". If you can get them to respond at all, they may send you some literature describing how if there is anything wrong with your pan, it must be your fault, and directing you to ask (again) for the required mailing label.

Good luck. All Clad will never see another one of my dollars though.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther