• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Filipino Snacks

Domestic Goddess

My friend came over from Manila to visit me here in Korea. My family sent me a ton of snacks and here are some of them.

gallery_48583_4079_326494.jpg

From L to R: Goldilocks polvoron, famous Chocnut peanut chocolate candies and the higly addictive Boy Bawang crunchy corn snack.

gallery_48583_4079_466622.jpg

Enough MSG-laden snacks to last us all month...

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

The crunchy corn snack--are those like corn nuts? The first time I ever had corn nuts was when I lived in the Philippines, and I loved them!

Chippy!!! I love Chippy's, too!! When I was visiting the Phil. last spring, I ate many bags of Chippy (is it really "Chippy"? I've always called it "Chippy's" for some reason), and even brought some back to Japan with me. BBQ, of course! no other flavour is good enough!

Is your Polvoron the special kind made with real butter? I generally don't like Goldilock's polvoron, because they're very artificial-tasting (I think they don't use pure butter). In fact, I don't really care for any of their baked goods that I've tried, not even their ensaimada! They do have one polvoron that is made with real butter, but it's more expensive than the others.

Hey Doddie, we have an 11 year old Filipino boy living with us (my godson) and he just went crazy looking at the pix of all his favourite snacks...he started off telling me which ones he liked the best, which ended up to be all of them :rolleyes:

Prasantin - the Goldilocks polvoron is a so-so substiture for the real polvoron made by my Mom (with real butter). You're right, it does not compare to homemade polvoron but without a polvoron mold and the recipe, I can't make it here in Korea. Yes, those crunchy corn snack are like corn nuts but with an EXTREME fried garlic taste. My favorite!

Chippy is always Chippy but eaters/lovers call it Chippy's. I love the red BBQ-flavored one.

Insomniac, what I posted was just once of each kind in my cupboard. We have about 10 pcs. of each kind and you could just imagine how our cupboards are bursting from the seams from all the Filipino snacks. LOL

....Yes, those crunchy corn snack are like corn nuts but with an EXTREME fried garlic taste. My favorite!

I'm drooling!

Boy Bawang... are those essentially chichacorn? What a horrendously addictive snack. I swear that people can smell me from 10 feet away every time I tuck into a bag of them. The fish crackers are another favourite of mine as are cheese-flavoured Clover chips. Can't forget the garlic peanuts. Be still, my snacking heart!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

....Yes, those crunchy corn snack are like corn nuts but with an EXTREME fried garlic taste. My favorite!

I'm drooling!

Boy Bawang... are those essentially chichacorn? What a horrendously addictive snack. I swear that people can smell me from 10 feet away every time I tuck into a bag of them. The fish crackers are another favourite of mine as are cheese-flavoured Clover chips. Can't forget the garlic peanuts. Be still, my snacking heart!

Yes, essentially chichacorn. Retail chichacorn as they're sold PhP1 per packet. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

This filipino afternoon snack or merienda as we call it is homemade.

Pancit Palabok

gallery_48583_4079_197044.jpg

Pancit Palabok is basically rice noodles with an egg/smoked fish sauce. The toppings can be cooked shrimp, squid rings, pork, boiled egg, toasted garlic, etc. I just topped mine with egg, chicharon bits and toasted garlic. I also drizzle fish sauce and a squeeze of lemon (have no calamansi) over the whole plate before I mix everything up.

A spoonful of salty-savoury goodness...

gallery_48583_4079_196376.jpg

that looks absolutely delicious! do you have a recipe for that dish? I don't think I have ever asked for a recipe on egullet, but that looks scrumptious. I am in the mood for something with fish sauce and pork rinds.

omg :raz:

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Sheena,

Here's how my mother taught me...

Pancit Palabok recipe:

Ingredients:

Noodles - 1/2 kilo of white and round rice noodles.

Boil 4 cups water, add a little salt. Put noodles in strainer and dip in boiling water for 5 minutes or till noodles is cooked. Drain. Transfer on plate.

Sauce ingredients:

2 tbsp of annato oil or (2 tbsp veg. oil and 6 annato seeds)

1 smoked fish, deboned and flaked

2 cups chicken broth

3-4 tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in a little water

1 beaten egg

SAUCE: In a small wok, add annato oil or 2 tbsp. vegetable oil and stri-fry half a dozen annato seeds. Take out the seeds when the oil changes into deep orange color. Add flaked smoked fish and stif fry for a minute and then 2 cups of chicken broth. Let boil and ground and then stir in dissolved cornstarch, stirring constantly until thickened. Pour in beaten egg. Stir quickly to mix and turn off fire after 10 seconds.

Garnishings

Suggested:

* cooked squid, sliced into rings

* cooked pork

* cooked shrimps, shelled

Absolutely must have these on top:

* hard boiled eggs, sliced

* crumbled chicharon or pork cracklings

* fried minced garlic

* chopped spring onions

TO SERVE: In a plate, spread the drained noodles. Pour palabok sauce all over. Add your choice of garnishings. Sprinkle remaining fried garlic over noodles. Sprinkle ground pork rinds over all. Garnish with chopped green onion and sliced hard boiled eggs.

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Boy Bawang has been the culprit that caused my lips to crack from uber-dryness plenty of times. I mean it's like you just can't stop popping them in your mouth! :raz:

My favorites also include puffy Cheese Curls, Peewee, Oishi Chili Flavor, Kirei and other locally manufactured junk! Heehee!

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

A pang of homesickness hit me tonight and I made this after-dinner snack.

Camote-Cue

gallery_48583_4079_4883.jpg

Camote-cue comes from the word camote (or kamote) which means sweet potato in Filipino and then 'cue' from the word barbeque (the slices of caramelized sweet potato is usually stuck on bamboo skewers like the local street food, pork barbeque)

gallery_48583_4079_182293.jpg

I couldn't find big bamboo skewers so I used the tiny ones used in korean odeng cakes.

Like every good Filipino, I've got a weakness for all things baked... particularly bread. So, for merienda the other day, I packed away more than a few pieces of Jonah Ensaymada. It's a slightly sweet, brioche-like bread topped with butter, sugar and cheddar-cheese shavings.

gallery_18820_1156_23235.jpg

Jonah Ensaymada

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 4 weeks later...