• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lisa's Turkish Kitchen now open

jtphjl

On the site of Ivange's (54 Chestnut St. Ridgewood 201 251-8686) www.lisasturkishkitchen.com) has finally opened! (Thursday night).

My husband and I arrived last night for an early dinner (5:45) and we were one of two couples -- we left 1.5 hours later, just about every table was taken.

Lisa is the host, and she was eager to make the rounds, open wine and proviced warm welcomes. Shorty after being seated a delicious (warm) bread basket arrived with a small plate of seasoned olive oil and salted cured olives.

We began with the Coban Salatasi (Shepard's Salad) and was advised by our server the small ($6.50) would be plenty for the two of us. She offered it with Feta ($1. extra) which of course we accepted, and she offered to assist with menu questions before leaving us to place our salad order.

The menu is divided into soups (lentil or sopuof the day $4.50) Salads (Shepherd's, a Mediterranean:romaine lettuce, carrots, red cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, olive oil/lemon juice dressing $6.50 small/$9.50 large) Seafood Salad ($12.95) calamari, shrimp, octopus and grilled vegetables or the Kitchen Salad ($10.95) romaine, cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, parsley, tomatoes and grilled chicken.

Cold Appetizers ($4.95 - $6.50) included: Babaganush, Cacik, Hummus, Stuffed Grape Leaves, Eggplant Salad(s) or a mixed appetizer ($11.95 small/ $19.95 large)

Hot APpetizers ($5.95 - 6.50) Falafel, fried calves liver, sauteed Culha pepper, fried calamari, shrimp saute and borek).

Entrees included lamb, fish and chicken (no beef).

Adana Kebab's of lamb ($13.95) ground lamb meatballs Dizme Kofte ($12.95)

and Doner Kebab (Gyro) $13.95 appeared to be popular choices for other diners (we noticed as we lingered over tea)

We ordered the Hunkar Begendi ($17.95) , Lamb so moist and tender served over a lightly smoked eggplant puree with kashar cheese in a mild cream sauce. Oddly for the second night of service, they had sold out of the Manti which was described as homemade turkish dumplings of seasoned lamb, serrved with a garlic seasoned yogurt.

We also ordered the Tavuk Adana ($12.95) which provided an outstanding offering of grilled ground seasoned chicken over lavash bread. All dinners were served with grilled tomatoes and green sweet peppers. The Tavuk Adana also included a round scoup of gluey rice --

The take-out menu reminds me other options included : stuffed cabbage ($12.95)

Whole Grilled Dorado ($23.95) Grilled Swordfish ($22.95)Baby Lamb Chops ($19.95) and several vegetrian selections: Vegetable ro Spinach Sautes ($13.95)

Okra baked with peppers and onions and served with rice ($12.95) and Falafel with humus and tahini Sauce ($13.95).

There are kinks that need to be worked out (The Rice was just horrible) food arrived with amazing speed, overlapping courses) however, the food was hot, fresh, and our two entrees were flavorful to outstanding.

Dessert was brought to us - a sample plate of Baklava and Susamli Badem Incir (stuffed figs) before the salad order I had my eyes on the Rice Pudding ($4.95) -- mid way through the entree it became clear, dessert was out of the question and we were sorry we fretted rain and drove 4 blocks it sure would have felt good to walk!

The take out menu offers catering, delivery, notes reservations are accepted and Friday nights there will be a bellydancer.

Major credit cards are accepted and it is great to have a turkish restaurant back in town (Istanbul maintained the same owners however changed their menu...and name). Like most of Ridgewood restaurants, this is a bring your own.

Turkish Coffee ($2.75) and tea (not turkish apple) ($1.25) and a Lunch special is advertised (11:30 - 3:00) for $10.95.

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Hmm. Are Turkish restaurants on the cusp of becoming the next trend? 3 openings in the last year just in this little corner of Jersey. (Montclair / Rutherford / Ridgewood.) What is going on here? Was there a wave of Turkish immigration that is now bearing fruit? Are they popping up just because they're something a little different, but not too different?

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I'm curious how Lisa's compare to the OTHER Turkish restaurant in Ridgewood....the one on Broad Street, a door or two down from Bagelicious (and whose name escapes me currently). I know, I know....I think they changed their menu from strictly Turkish to a more "global" mediterranean (and I actually haven't eaten their since they have) but the food used to be pretty damn good there. Their stuffed grape leaves rank among my tops of all time....bested perhaps only by the ones made for me an old Palestinian grandmother at a party that I catered.

Any comments?

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

I'm curious how Lisa's compare to the OTHER Turkish restaurant in Ridgewood....the one on Broad Street, a door or two down from Bagelicious (and whose name escapes me currently).  I know, I know....I think they changed their menu from strictly Turkish to a more "global" mediterranean (and I actually haven't eaten their since they have) but the food used to be pretty damn good there.  Their stuffed grape leaves rank among my tops of all time....bested perhaps only by the ones made for me an old Palestinian grandmother at a party that I catered.

Any comments?

The restaurant you are referring to is called:

Mediterraneo

23 N Broad Street

Ridgewood, NJ

201-447-0022

I agree that they are much more of a "global" mediterranean cuisine.

Normally, I don't really like stuffed grape leaves. The ones done here are very different. They are ranked "tops of all time" in my records.

Overall, the food here is very fresh and well done. The service is decent...very friendly.

I haven't been to Lisa's yet...tough to go there when there are quite a few other places in Ridgewood that keep me coming back like Silver Oak Bistro, Dim Sum Dynasty and Meditteraneo.

The Mediterraneo name changed happened almost overnight -- friends of the owners shared with me that they simply changed the name to draw a wider variety of people and expand the menu -- I agree Dave, the food was very good when it was Istanbul.

What I noticed different at lisa's was a (very good) and yeasty bread ( I am not familar with assorted Turkish breads) - absolutely no beef on the menu, and I really enjoy the Turkish Apple tea, not available at Lisa's.

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 1 year later...
they simply changed the name to draw a wider variety of people and expand the menu

They also made the restaurant a little more formal than it had been as Istanbul. Not by much, but a bit.

Mediterranea is very good . Like their appetizers and salads and food in general.

Nice cozy atmosphere, good music. Interesting menu, good quality ingredients.

Lisa'a Turkish I gave up after going lots. More and more disappointed with each meal. Finally decided its diner food.

Just giving a 2008 update!