• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UWS Strawberry Shortcake

Dryden

Improbably enough, my wife has never had some. So, I'd like to get it for her.

Thanks!

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Oh, you're not gonna make it? It's pretty easy. You could use anything from a sugar topped fluffy biscuit to a spongey cake circle. Nice ladle of sweetened strawberries with maybe a tad of grand marnier or some nice liqueur and top with some whipped cream.

Do strawberry shortcake for her for Valentine's, Dude!

It's more of a homey home-made thing.

:unsure: I would be very suspect of New York City strawberry shortcake. :raz:

Got any soul food places up there??

but rack and soul doesn't have it... so, any suggestions?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

It's not really the season for strawberry shortcake, but if you're on a mission, you might want to call Two Little Red Hens...they're on the UES, but they're a traditional American bakery, and I think they usually have it around in the summertime...

Like Kate said, the best idea may be to find a good, spongey cake, buy some decent strawberries, macerate them, and top the whole thing with some fresh whipped cream.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

wait until summer and go to union square market to buy the little flavorful local strawberries. make a light biscuit and serve with whipped cream or creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream or...or...or...

but don't get one now! it will just be disappointing due to poor quality berries...i also have this scary image in my head of a place like ej's using some sort of strawberry "filling" type thing which is just red goop... :shock: , not that i know that's what they serve, it just popped into my head.