• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adventures of a new Culinary Student

MarkIsCooking

Dave & Lonnie -

Okay, I'll confess. You have rightfully hooked me up with Dave. He's my husband (and I'm the proud mom of the kid at the CIA) but I didn't want to horn in on his message. :-)

Said kid is great at phoning but really terrible at "sitting down to bang out an email." He's in cooking because he's too hyperactive to do anything else! So contact with him might be difficult, although I'll certainly run the idea by him.

Though I love the high end that the elite restaurants are able to play to, they're not very leveragable in terms of being able to build a brand and a sell-able business.  There are exceptions like Jean George and Wolfgang Puck who have done what I'm describing, I think I'm too far down the path to pull that off.  So, I tend to think it might be something in the mid-range, with more mass appeal, but with quality and attention to detail that is lacking in that part of the market.

-Mark-

Mark, are you talking about building a business? Like a restaurant, or a chain of restaurants? Would you ever be a chef in such a business, or would you be the business-builder, hiring the chefs? What kind of a business background does one need to do the sort of work you seem to be aiming toward?

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

I'm trying not to over-think my next steps right now. Since I'm just a few weeks into my 1 year school journey, I'm feeling that I need to be maxing out on what I learn right now. So, I'm totally focused on honing some techniques and learning the course material, regardless of whether I'll need this 'stuff' later on.

Did you check out my blog? I'm having fun keeping it up and it's a fantastic way for me to study, since I'm making sure that I record everything important that happens in class.

FYI: The blog is on my site at: www.MarkCooks.com

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

I am a career changer that went to CIA - it moves very fast and honing skills is a very hard thing to do. I had 5 CMCs as professors and trying to soak in all they say is hard. Write everything down you can and try to refer back on"down time" ha. I still look back at notes and books just to keep the textbook way of doing things fresh. All places have different ways, and I found that the foundations are tested sometimes just to get things done or out - but my high level of fine details are still in tact.It was hard not to be excited at the CIA - so much going on all of the time. You could certainly tell the people that wanted to be there and the people that mom and dad forced to go....suggestion I worte a diary - it was very short some days, but high lighted what I did for the day - it is fun to go back and look. I especially liked on day 2 where I think everyone cut themselves on the mandolin in a timed cooking - I taped myself shut and went right back at it - we all did. I had perfect attendance it 2 years - thats how excited I was

Thanks for the reply! I love the passion you describe and I see that in others at school. That passion is among the coolest things about the experience, because it's rare to have so many people at one place all really excited to be there.

What are you up to now? It sounds, in retrospect, that you think your investment in school was worthwhile. Yes? What's striking me is that I'm getting some really great basics (at this point). I'm sure you can pick a lot of this up "on the job", but it seems like such a better environment to learn the foundation, when people aren't stressed about getting food to the pass.

Would love to hear from more students (past and present). And, I hope you'll check out my blog.

MarkCooks.com - Click on "Mark's Blog"

Julia Child

I especially liked on day 2 where I think everyone cut themselves on the mandolin in a timed cooking - I taped myself shut and went right back at it - we all did.  I had perfect attendance it 2 years - thats how excited I was

When were you there?

I hear what you're saying about shutting up that cut and going right back at it. When we visited our son, Scott, at the CIA last year, he and a buddy made dinner for us in the dorm kitchen. During the food prep, another student walked in with his entire right hand bandaged up. He simply asked if anyone had something he could toss around in a pan. We gave him cheese rinds and he stood there for an hour tossing them with his left hand. He had to be able to work left-handed in the next day's classes. We asked him what had happened. You don't want a repeat of his description of this very serious wound.

Scott names his burns: "from left to right we have Burnie, Burnedette, and Burnidict Arnold... yes, i name my injuries... my war wounds, but it's okay. getting hurt builds character and thickens your skin :-) "

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

That is funny - naming the wounds - you will run out of names. Get the book baby names and you still will run out. We had several serious accidents. The most was where we had a brazilian guy - great guy - fell off the top bunk in the dorm and broke his wrist. Yeah - go figure. Another guy slipped on a wet spot in the basketball court and broke his arm. Really. We had lots of cuts and burns. The vac sealer on for stock bags was always an issue. If it did not seal that liquid well - it would blow the bag and send hot stock everywhere. Had it go down my apron into my shoe - that sucked. One guy that I certainly won't name because he was lets say - a pain - caught his hand in the big hobart mixer and almost ripped his finger off - I have no idea how with the guard closed - but he did - you know it is a dangerous place. I burn more than cut. Nothing like the smell of burnt arm hair or whats left of it. I have blister scars all over my arms and didn't name them but know here the big ones came from. I am short so have some issues on that top convection oven sometimes. You were asking about the line cooking part - I guess I hate it too, when these young guys can move and deal so much better - but I am looking to move aways from this part of it to some other things in the food industry - lots to do.

That is funny - naming the wounds - you will run out of names.  Get the book baby names and you still will run out.  We had several serious accidents....

The topper at the CIA, so far from my son's reporting, was the idiot who got handed his very cool, brand new set of knives and stuck them in his cloth back pack without putting them in a knife sheath. The blade of one of them worked its way out of the bottom of the bag and was sticking out. Picture this: lots of students crowded into hallways between classes, a student on her way to class turns and ends up with the all tendons in her right wrist slashed. She's had several surgeries since then and it ended her career.

We know this remarkable young lady, and she's a life lesson to all of us. She said, yes, it was awful and very, very disappointing, but you have to get on with life and just do something else. And that's what she's doing, studying business administration now. When I had this conversation with her, she was amazingly upbeat. May we all have this kind of resilience.

Lonnie

Well, folks. I'm still in play at cooking school. We're 3 weeks or so into it. A small percentage of students have disappeared (where do these people go???). Perhaps too hot in the kitchen???

Just had my first quiz and - like some life events that get a huge build-up - it wasn't that big a deal. I think I did fairly well.

We made one of the best vinaigrettes in class this week. I posted the recipe on my site if you want it. It's called "Honey Vinaigrette".

Several more entries in my blog, if you'd like to check it out.

MarkCooks.com click on Mark's Blog page

Back to the books. Another quiz this coming week!

Julia Child

I can completely relate to your adventure: I, too, am a mid-life career changer who quit the corporate world and went to culinary school. I started at age 41, and found myself the same age as many of the instructors, and older than even some of my classmates' parents! I did thoroughly enjoy it, though...because it's something I was totally passionate about, and was able to clearly focus on.

I, too, wanted to build a career in the industry, but couldn't see myself working the line after graduation (I absolutely loved the cooking, but my middle-aged back couldn't handle the endless hours of lifting, hunching, bending, etc). Not sure what to do, I decided to just relax and see where the path took me. It's a longish story, but I've ended up as a quasi-part-time GM for a medium-sized, very sucessful independent restaurant. The exec chef/owner who created the restaurant is one of my friends & classmates from culinary school. It's not at all what I imagined myself doing, but I LOVE it and can't imagine doing anything else. The best part is, I have my fingers in all parts of the business (and I still have all of my fingers!!) and the hours are such that that I get to see my husband & have a life.

My advice to you as you go through this is to have a blast, soak up as much as you can, keep an open mind about what you might eventually end up doing, and cultivate relationships with those instructors/staff/classmates who you respect and enjoy. If this is something you truly love and enjoy and are fully committed to, you are certain to end up doing what's right for you.

LM-

Thanks for the post! I'm totally in sync with you. I had the opportunity a few different occasions to spend time in professional kitchens. I hugely admire what line cooks and sous chefs do day after day in high end kitchens; and it's not something I see myself working towards. With a wife and 3 kids I love spending time with, being in a kitchen somewhere every night while they're at home isn't my dream.

I am hoping, though (as your experience worked out), is that I'll meet lots of great people, from students to instructors during my one-year journey. Wherever it goes is fine with me and in the meantime, I've having a blast.

I'd love to hear more about the restaurant where you're working, if you get the chance to post again.

-mark-

Julia Child

Hi everyone.

As part of my student requirements, I assisted on my first recreational cooking class this week. It was a blast and everyone who signed up seemed to have a great time. If you're anywhere in the Boston area, you can check out the dozens and dozens of classes available at the school and you're sure to find something you like. Here's the class link: Cambridge Culinary Recreational Class Calendar

Also, I put some more entries in my blog this week. I hope you'll check them out!

MarkCooks.com

Julia Child

• 2 weeks later...

Mark - I should have told you - take a camera and take pics of your finished plates. At the CIA we fed the students and I am not sure what they do other places - BUT when you interview - if you find out they are an alumni of the palce you went - the pics come in real handy. They love to see what the school they were in is doing now especially if they have not been back - BUT then it also gives you some plating ideas when you go out and hit those mystery baskets trying to get a job. I was offered everywhere I cooked - just getting in to cook and interview is the thing.

BUT TAKE PICS!

Mark,

It sounds like you're having a great time in a great place.

When I first read your thread, I think I misunderstood. I had thought that the scenario you described was extremely risky; going into a (fairly expensive) culinary school seemingly with almost no plan, having a family and children that ostensibly need your time and support, and going into a profession whose typical work hours usually heavily impinge upon any family life. To me, it just didn't add up, and sounded like a great recipe for a trip to divorce court.

But then I realized that there must be information that I'm unaware of, such as you may be sitting on a nice big pile, or have other unseen means of support, and can thus afford a nice exploratory sabattical. Definitely a great and enviable position to be in, and quite different from the lot of many culinary students.

And it's possible that after school is done, you can come upon a position other than that of the normal chef; something with normal hours.

Hope school is treating you well!

The last post got me LOL for sure!

It actually was my wife who was very encouraging (I think in part to get me out of the house more). The companies I started with some friends was sold not long ago and the sale makes it possible for me to blow a little on school without a plan on how to use it. This is absolutely a luxury few have and one for which I'm very grateful.

My wheels have been spinning on how I might apply this year I'm investing (i.e. when school time is over). I have at least 3 I'm seriously considering, but I'm feeling like I should finish my spring semester before I start pushing any of these ideas seriously forward.

To the person who suggested I take pics, great suggestion. Actually, the school requires us to build a portfolio of stuff we make. I use some of these pictures on my blog (see below).

Thanks to everyone who has been checking out my blog. The site hit counter is getting up there and I really hope you like what you read. Even if nobody visits the blog, it's an awesome tool for me to record all my class notes and study the material.

SLFN. Here's my website link: just click on the "Mark's Blog" page when you get there: MarkCooks.com

Edited by MarkIsCooking (log)

Julia Child