• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

flavor trends for 2007?

chezcherie

top 10 flavor pairings announced

The mouth-watering, top 10 flavor pairings of 2007 are:

* Clove and Green Apple

* Thyme and Tangerine

* Tellicherry Black Pepper and Berry

* Sea Salt and Smoked Tea

* Lavender and Honey

* Crystallized Ginger and Salted Pistachio

* Cumin and Apricot

* Toasted Mustard and Fennel Seeds

* Wasabi and Maple

* Caramelized Garlic and Riesling Vinegar

hmmm..as for me, lavendar and honey sound nice, but wasabi and maple make my face squinch up. how about you?

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

The thyme and tangerine sounds good, as does the tellichery black pepper and berry.

I already eat melon with lots of fresh cracked black pepper. Looks like I will have to palce a Penzey's order for tellicherry pepper.

Clove and green apple is something I would stay away from.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Being a big fan of cooking with tea, sea salt and smoked tea sounds good to me.

Lavender and honey work very nicely together. I am originally from Southern France and I have seen these two ingredients put to good use in desserts and, more daringly, marinades.

I am very interested in trying the clove/green apple and cumin/apricot combinations, but I have a feeling that it will take a few tries before achieving a good balance between these flavours.

Anything that puts underused (in Wester cooking) spices such as clove and cumin back in the spotlight is a good thing in my book!

Edited by Little Frog (log)
Emmanuelle

The thyme and tangerine sounds good, as does the tellichery black pepper and berry.

I already eat melon with lots of fresh cracked black pepper. Looks like I will have to palce a Penzey's order for tellicherry pepper.

Clove and green apple is something I would stay away from.

Why? Think of an apple pie spice blend; cloves figure into that, why not just have them dominate? I' not a big cinnamon fan, so the flavor of cloves is a good second choice with apples, IMHO.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

As far as I'm concerned, McCormick can go to Hell.

I mean that in the most respectful way, of course. However, this kind of Fashionspeak when it comes to food is both annoying and bogus.

Still waiting for guys to start wearing pointy-toed mules with stiletto heels. By that, I mean guys dressed as guys in business suits on their way to the meeting to talk about the next thing they're going to get the general public to believe in order to sell them their same, old usual product as if it were something spanking new...

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I was toasting mustard & fennel seeds 30 years ago when I was learning Indian cooking.

That's the story of my life - years ahead of the times & no sense of marketing.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

wasabi and maple make my face squinch up. how about you?

I have a recipe for Short Ribs braised in Porter Ale with Maple-Rosemary Glaze that is awesome. (Thought I got it from Recipe Gullet but I can't find it)

Anyway, the glaze is:

3 tbsp. maple syrup

2 rosemary sprigs

1 tbsp. prepared horseradish

Where you infuse the syrup with the rosemary and mix in the horseradish. It is so good you want to eat the glaze with a spoon ! (ummmmm.......actually, I do :blush: )

so why not wasabi?

I think most of those combinations are pretty good.