• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Off-brand Enameled Cast Iron

phatj

Thanks for all the the great advice. I've had my eye on ordering Cottage Collection Cast Iron Cookware from HSN (Home Shopping Network). Since I have mobility issues and live alone, having an alternative to lugging home heavy cast iron cookware is a blessing. I'm especially lusting after the Sauteuse Pan. They also normally have a very reasonably priced set of just cookware without all of the extraneous "extras" like kitchen utensils and fondue forks--an 10" frying pan, a 5-qt. dutch oven, and 2 and 3-qt. saucepans, but it's not in stock right now. Maybe these products would also be a lower cost alternative.

The customer reviews seem to be overwhelmingly favorable; the Sauteuse Pan in particular received 5 out of 5 stars for customer satisfaction. BTW, I believe that they are made in China.

One question: does anyone here think that the helper handle on the Sauteuse Pan (see link to pic above) is an inevitable design flaw in that it is a metal piece inserted into the cast iron? I would hate to have that thing snap as I'm trying to carry a pan full of bubbling hot food.

Edited to add a question.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

One question: does anyone here think that the helper handle on the Sauteuse Pan (see link to pic above) is an inevitable design flaw in that it is a metal piece inserted into the cast iron?  I would hate to have that thing snap as I'm trying to carry a pan full of bubbling hot food.

That handle looks pretty sturdy. I think maybe over time it might come loose, but I wouldn't worry about it breaking.

Too bad that doesn't come with a lid.

One question: does anyone here think that the helper handle on the Sauteuse Pan (see link to pic above) is an inevitable design flaw in that it is a metal piece inserted into the cast iron?  I would hate to have that thing snap as I'm trying to carry a pan full of bubbling hot food.

That handle looks pretty sturdy. I think maybe over time it might come loose, but I wouldn't worry about it breaking.

Too bad that doesn't come with a lid.

Thanks phatj.:smile: I think separately offering a lid would be great too.

I think I'll contact HSN and ask if they are getting the set I mentioned back in stock. Since I don't have any enameled cast iron (just the "nekkid" kind :raz: ) this line of cookware would be just the thing for upcoming fall/winter dishes. I'll be moving soon and will wait until that's done before I rekindle my "Shop On TV" fetish. Seriously, it really is a Godsend to be able to order heavy items like these from tv or online for people with mobility problems.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

You might also check on ebay, not for the auctions, but the "Buy-It-Now" items and eBay Express!, which has direct sales only, both of new as well as vintage merchandise, mostly new.

One can register with a favorite vendor and some will email you with specials that have included, free shipping, a free companion piece or other free merchandise.

I also purchase quite a bit of kitchenware at RUBY LANE. The member vendors have been unfailingly helpful and I have yet to receive an item damaged in shipping.

Many of the vendors have a "Make Offer" option on their listings and when I buy multiple items, many of them offer significant discounts automatically.

I have actually purchased some "As Seen On TV" items, but not from HSN or other TV sales presentations. The items I have purchased have been from online vendors and are often discounted and sold for less than the amount on the TV presentation and I only needed to buy a single item to get the discount.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I got four Tramontino brand 3½qt enamel over cast iron at Wally World for just under $30. Perfect for no-knead bread. They can't keep them stocked in the store, so I had to order them online for pickup at the nearest store (no shipping charges that way) I bought so many, since once the family saw them - they all wanted one.

I was snooping around Macy's while my daughter was ogling ear rings at Claire's and I spied this 5.5 quart dutch oven from none other than Martha Stewart.

If I hadn't read this post this afternoon, I could have saved myself some bucks! :laugh::laugh:

Thanks for the heads up! I picked up one of the blue ones today.

I would love to find out the real dimensions of these M.S. pots. I looked at Macy's.com but they don't have measurements other than volume. Someone mentioned that they were narrower and taller than Le Creuset.

As a great favor, would one of you all who purchased this measure the diameter across the bottom or top (is it the same at the opening as the bottom?) and also the height of the 5.5qt. ?

Maurdel, these are the dimensions:

Diameter at base: 23.5cm/9.25in

Diameter at top: 24.5cm/9.625in

Height: 12.5cm/5in

Thanks so much Jen. I am trying to decide between all the off brands available, they seem to all be different sizes.

Now I am picturing how all my favorite cookings will work into which size pot.

Did everyone choose the 5.5qt. rather than the 7qt.?

Careful, though, because bigger isn't necessarily better. If you're going to be braising, making stews or chili, and so on (and I hope you are if you're getting one!), it's smart to find the size you're most likely to use often, or else you're going to be drying stuff out in that big old dutch oven. One can make a big load of chili in a 7 quart dutch oven, but it takes a few bottles of wine to cover two lonely lamb shanks in same.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Careful, though, because bigger isn't necessarily better. If you're going to be braising, making stews or chili, and so on (and I hope you are if you're getting one!), it's smart to find the size you're most likely to use often, or else you're going to be drying stuff out in that big old dutch oven. One can make a big load of chili in a 7 quart dutch oven, but it takes a few bottles of wine to cover two lonely lamb shanks in same.

That is my dilemma! Mostly soups and stews. Lot's of bean dishes with hopefully lot's of leftovers of everything. Cook once ....etc..etc... mmmmmm just thinking about chowders. Boy I cannot wait for the temperatures to drop.

Ditto what Chrisamirault said.

I love my larger braising pan but the shape is different than a soup or chili pot. It's got a larger diameter and is shallower.

I actually hemmed and hawed over this 5.5qt one because I thought it might be too big (and we are three here).

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my Martha Stewart number just disappointed me. I used it to make some no-knead bread today and, after 45 minutes in a 450 oven, part of the handle broke.

The handle is made up of two parts: the knob and a bushing that sits between the knob and the pot. It was the bushing that broke; half of it is now sitting on my countertop in two separate pieces. Two more pieces are still clinging to the brass fitting that holds it all together.

I'm torn between returning the pot (and probably have it happen again) or just have the Spouse fashion some sort of new bushing and/or completely new handle.

I'm torn between returning the pot (and probably have it happen again) or just have the Spouse fashion some sort of new bushing and/or completely new handle.

Cabinet knob at Home Depot. $4.50. :cool:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

The Spouse offered to repair it for me so I will send him off to Home Depot (unless I can't stop him from turning one out of stainless steel...once a machinist, always a machinist).

Jen, maybe you should take the handle off completely- If you are going to use it primarily for the bread recipe, i.e. hot, hot oven, you may be better off w/out that knob. Of course you will still need some way to lift the lid.

Also whatever it is replaced with will have to withstand all that oven time/heat as well.

Does the manufacturer say that the knob can withstand 450 degs.?

I went to look at what was available at the walmart and found the Lodge brand. I liked the looks of them (they have a somewhat rounded shape) and decided on the 6qt. The pamphlet that came with it limits the oven temperature to 425 (if I remember correctly). I was not interested in doing the bread thing and will be using it mostly on top, so that was okay for me.

Maurdel: The knob pictured in my last post is 100% stainless steel. It's been through 45 rounds of NNTK bread, and still holding up beautifully...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

Maurdel:  The knob pictured in my last post is 100% stainless steel.  It's been through 45 rounds of NNTK bread, and still holding up beautifully...

Joe, That knob looks good. It's good to know that when Home Depot says stainless steel, it truly is.

I like the look of your oven, can you tell us what brand it is?

Maurdel:  The knob pictured in my last post is 100% stainless steel.  It's been through 45 rounds of NNTK bread, and still holding up beautifully...

I showed the Spouse your picture last night and he came home with a cast iron knob. My pot is whole again.

I like the look of your oven, can you tell us what brand it is?

Oh, that ol' thing? :wub: That would be our beloved Cadco...

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure if this is just my local Ikea (south PHL), but mine is selling off all of last year's green coloured enamelled cast iron line for $19.99 (7 qt & 5qt ovals, 3qt round, some wood handled frying pans that I paid less attention to, fondue set).

This year's colour is a much much prettier blue.