• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there any food you wouldn't eat out?

chefb

I kinda sorta agree.  Let me qualify thpough.  I generally won't order the prosaic, "we gotta have a steak on the menu, so let's put a wet aged NY sirloin on it" ubiquitous beef that passes for steak on many restaurant menus.  However for a truly great piece of 28-40 day prime dry aged porterhouse, t-bone or rib chop, I feel thast the best meat is in a good steakhouse.  They have or have access to the facilities that can age the meat properly and also have their reps at stake (no pun) when it comes to selecting the loins to age.

agreed. i generally don't have access to aged prime beef. but that said, i generally don't order steak unless it's at a reputable steakhouse where i know it's something a bit more special than i could buy at Kings.

Have to concur here. The last time I did order steak at a restaurant was at the last eGullet Peter Luger lunch. At that event we ordered pretty much everything as well as the porterhouse!

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak