• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen foods in Japan

torakris

When I first came to Japan about 15 years ago I remember being surprised by the size of the frozen food case, notice I didn't use the plural. It was just one small case in most stores I shopped at and it pretty much had ice cream and maybe a couple packs of frozen vegetables. Frozen foods have really taken off since then, especially products aimed at bentos. Though none of the stores by me have a complete aisle of frozen foods they do take up at least half an aisle now.

Though I rarely buy frozen foods outside of some vegetables I love looking at some of the products that appear on the shelves.

This one caught my eye recently

called an "Asian burger" it consists of pork yakiniku (Korean style grilled pork) wrapped in chijimi (Korean savory "pancake" called pajon in most other parts of the world), there is also a version with a chicken patty and an ama-kara sauce.

Some interesting bento products

chile con carne

deep fried corokke filled with spaghetti

and for those who like variety

One of the newest entrants to the frozen food market are the frozen pastas.

This is just one company's line-up

Have any favorite frozen food products?

What are some of your most interesting finds?

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

called an "Asian burger" it consists of pork yakiniku (Korean style grilled pork) wrapped in chijimi (Korean savory "pancake" called pajon in most other parts of the world), there is also a version with a chicken patty and an ama-kara sauce.

Links to the same webpage?

Edited to add: Feel free to delete this post once you have fixed it. :wink:

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

Links to the same webpage?

oops, I have fixed it. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Well, to anyone in the greater Philadelphia area I was shocked to see the entire Ajinomoto frozen line at Redner's Warehouse Mkt.

They have their own case!!!

Its not a warehouse like Costco or BJs or Sams its just a low cost supermarket, so thats why I was shocked. I dont like Redners much, but I can get Gyudon, Karaage, Edamame Shumai and Takoyaki there now. Yay!

See, their sites nothing to look at, certainly not somewhere you'd expect to find Japanese Octopus Balls!

http://www.rednersmarkets.com/

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

My family are not big consumers of frozen foods. We used to buy renkon no hasami age (minced pork sandwiched by two lotus root slices and deep-fried) and korokke when our kids were smaller. Now we rarely buy frozen foods, except corn and mixed vegetables (peas, dices carrot, and corn mixed together). They are much less tasty or appetizing than homemade, and sozai available from any supermarket are much better.