• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pinkberry frozen yogurt

lia

Don't misunderstand me, I love the stuff. I live right around the corner from the Chelsea location and I've been there a number of times in the few weeks since it's opened. But for such limited offerings, the prices are outrageous. Yesterday I got a large green tea and a medium plain, NO add ins, and it came to $13+. expensive habit...

• 1 month later...

My wife, our son's babysitter and apparently all of Los Angeles are addicted to this Pinkberry. I prefer plain with granola and since my wife drags me to Pinkberry about forty-two times a week, I'm getting pretty familiar with it.

I'm also getting, in equal parts, pretty fed up with and charmed by the ineptitude of the management. I have never once felt that things behind the counter where they take orders like "medium plain with strawberries and chocolate rice crispies" were running smoothly. The people "making" the stuff are dropping tools, spilling things, bungling at the cash registers, making the wrong things, checking and re-checking the order. Strawberries, with, no wait a minute, large with gran. . . was it green tea or plain. . . triple mango with oh I give up.

I'll probably see you there tomorrow.

If I don't see you there tonight.

Edited by ned (log)

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

i happen to strongly dislike pinkberry. i've eaten their product twice and both times, even with a fruit add-in, the flavors were extremely bland and the price was insane.

i much prefer a cup of tasti-d instead. it's much cheaper, not to mention tastier AND healthier :smile:

I love the product and I don't think the price point is unreasonable.

Its the closest thing to my childhood favorite: the forzen yogurt sundaes at 40 Carrots at Bloomingdales.

Just plain, thick, sour frozen yogurt with honey and wheat germ. Unbeatable.

Edited by Sethro (log)

The price, hunh? Four bucks for a giant tub of sour frozen yogurt. Sure it's worth it. I guess it depends on how many of them you eat a day.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

I don't know if I've just had bad luck or if Pinkberry purposely does this, but the few times I have been there, my cup has always been empty in the middle. They seem to only want to swirl on the inside perimeter of the cup, leaving the center of the cup an empty space of air.

Pinkberry is way overpriced and stingy too.

Plus - I don't appreciate their policy of not letting people take pictures inside the store.

Edited by foodite (log)

i happen to strongly dislike pinkberry. i've eaten their product twice and both times, even with a fruit add-in, the flavors were extremely bland and the price was insane.

i much prefer a cup of tasti-d instead. it's much cheaper, not to mention tastier AND healthier  :smile:

While you might prefer Tasti-D-Lite, it's not substantially healthier than PinkBerry.

Tasti-D uses corn syrup and is reported by the manufacturer to be between 15 and 22 calories per ounce. Most vendors of Tasti-D don't follow the manufacturer's recommendation for making the stuff though, and it regularly has up to five times as many calories per ounce as that. You read that right, the purported 40 calorie small actually has 223 calories in it. If you want to ruin Tasti-D for yourself, ask for a 4 ounce vanilla the next time you go. Have them measure it. Eat it, then go home and cry at the delusion that you've been engaging in.

Pink Berry doesn't appear to use corn syrup or other artificial sweetners, and is 25 calories per ounce. I prefer the consistency and flavor of the yogurt, but then again, I don't fret about the number of calories in it.

Edited by juuceman (log)

actually, there are stages of calories. 11-13, 15-17, 17-19. regardless of the 'sweeteners', in terms of fat content and calories, it seems to be healthier, judging by things i've read. plus, it has a much lower lactose level, which is always good for the digestive system...

i think it tastes much better than pinkberry, you get more for your money (yes foodite, i have noticed the 'air space' too), and the people at the tasti-d locations i have visited have been much friendlier and more accomodating than at pinkberry.

actually, there are stages of calories. 11-13, 15-17, 17-19. regardless of the 'sweeteners', in terms of fat content and calories, it seems to be healthier, judging by things i've read. plus, it has a much lower lactose level, which is always good for the digestive system...

i think it tastes much better than pinkberry, you get more for your money (yes foodite, i have noticed the 'air space' too), and the people at the tasti-d locations i have visited have been much friendlier and more accomodating than at pinkberry.

actually, according to Tasti-d'Lite the lower range is 14-15 calories with the majority being between 15 1nd 17. So according to the manufacturer, a small should have no more than 68 calories. Suprise you that a small pistachio chocolate actually has 241 calories in some places?? It shouldn't. Ever realize how Tasti D tastes better in some places than in others?? It's because of the amount of air they mix in. Overage, which should be at 75%, generally runs more from 20-50%. This is huge in terms of caloric content. Additionally, it generally has a fat content of between 2% and 3.5%, as opposed to the skim milk the use to make it.

I'll give you the lactose levels, which doesn't bother me because of the infrequency with which I actually eat either of these options. I prefer one spoonful of Haagen Daz at night.

Of course you get more for your money. But remember, you're getting more calories too. Calories come from overall weight, not volume. The more you get for your money, the more calories you're getting. And the fruit is fresh, and the toppings generally of higher quality at Pink Berry.

Geez -

Don't have to give me the entire history of Tasti-D. I was simply stating what I read in an article on Tasti-D, and also by looking around their website. No need to get so defensive of PinkBerry (are you part owner or something?). I was just saying how much better I enjoy Tasti-D, and how gross (and grossly overpriced) PinkBerry is.

Geez -

Don't have to give me the entire history of Tasti-D. I was simply stating what I read in an article on Tasti-D, and also by looking around their website. No need to get so defensive of PinkBerry (are you part owner or something?). I was just saying how much better I enjoy Tasti-D, and how gross (and grossly overpriced) PinkBerry is.

This past summer I tasted the frozen "yogurt" from TastiD after years of not tasting the stuff, and I couldn't believe how chemical and disgusting it was. I'm all for things that taste good and are low in calories (try, um, fruit), but good taste is always my first priority.

The statistics on TastiD that juuceman is referring to are from a 2002 New York Times article. Basically, most TastiD shops do not make the product correctly, resulting in better taste (still awful) and higher calories.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...753C1A9649C8B63

I haven't gotten a chance to taste Pinkberry yet, but I like the idea of a frozen yogurt that tastes like yogurt, rather than attempting to be low-cal ice cream. Let's face it, they're two different products and they're never going to be substitutes.

Wasn't trying to make Tasti-D a substitute for PinkBerry. PinkBerry was never in my routine in the first place.

As for the calories in Tasti-D - I have lost 13lbs in the past two months, while eating a cup of Tasti-D every day. So it can't be that unhealthy, in the long run...

(And that article was from 2002? It's now 2007...maybe things have changed in 5 long years. Just a thought)

Edited by zpzjessica (log)

As for the calories in Tasti-D - I have lost 13lbs in the past two months, while eating a cup of Tasti-D every day. So it can't be that unhealthy, in the long run...

I don't know that you can exactly equate weight loss with being healthy...not that I'm saying it's unhealthy but I could do nothing but drink water and while I'd be losing weight, it's not exactly healthy.

Wasn't trying to make Tasti-D a substitute for PinkBerry. PinkBerry was never in my routine in the first place.

(And that article was from 2002? It's now 2007...maybe things have changed in 5 long years. Just a thought)

I sincerely doubt that since that article in 2002 the delis and TastiD shops that sell the frozen yogurt have started weighing and measuring the product, but I wouldn't know. Even if a cup of TastiD contains far more calories than advertised, it is clearly not going to have as many calories as a cup of foie gras, for instance.

I was not suggesting that TastiD is a substitute for pinkberry, I was suggesting that all frozen yogurt is a poor substitute for ice cream- it is really an entirely different product. I think that frozen yogurt is something that could taste perfectly delicious, particularly if it tasted like yogurt. Pinkberry may or may not be that.

Edited by Jesikka (log)

The thing that's cool about Pinkberry's yogurt is that it really tastes like yogurt. It has a distinct sourness. I've never tasted a frozen yogurt like that before.

The thing that's cool about Pinkberry's yogurt is that it really tastes like yogurt.  It has a distinct sourness.  I've never tasted a frozen yogurt like that before.

Seriously, everyone needs to go to 40 Carrots @ Bloomingdales at least once. Their frozen yogurt sundaes are one of NYC's true hidden gems. Maybe even "best of" thread worthy.

• 1 month later...