• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking for 50 Senior Citizens

CaliPoutine

I'm getting there.  Some did, some didnt.  One person said it was too spicy.  Funny, because there was zero spice in it.  I thought it was rather bland myself and I wont make it again..  I cooked such large quantities of it, that it didnt cook right and was more mushy than separate grains.

I was going to respond to your earlier comment about cooking the rice pilaf style with a caution against it for exactly that reason, but then I finished reading the thread and saw that I was too late.

With my bulk meals, I have found that I get the best results cooking the rice in advance and then mixing it, just like your previous cook suggested. This is how I do the jambalaya I serve quite regularly, and it turns out great. I do the vegetarian version all in one pot, and even only doubling the recipe I end up with some overcooked and some undercooked rice, and I have to be extra cautious not to burn the bottom of the pan.

Congrats on pulling everything off, even if you weren't entirely pleased with all of it.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I think it was a great success for your first time. You already knew

some of them didn't like rice, they just confirmed it for you is all.

Umm, if almost 15% were getting take out--that's a great barometer!

I wish you had some big slow cookers, that's what I did my stuff in.

You can hold stuff so well in those.

!!!YAY!!!

Cali, I'll bet we are all glad this turned out so well, first time out. Do you have any shots of folks dining? How did they like the salad? I think the complaint about too spicy rice was just a reaction to parsley, foreign to some.

Your budgeting is just slightly over $3 per, but that could be the chicken, since these folks don't have huge appetites and half a breast might be enough.

How did the co-ordinator react.? The C comes across as a conservative, provincial

pain in your early reports.

This has been a great blog!

wow, I think everything looked wonderful, and did go pretty well for the first time--each week it will get easier, and less exhausting.

Please, if you can manage, keep us up to date on what you are doing--it's totally fascinating.

I think buying whatever meat is on sale that week is a good idea--probably your biggest money saver in the long run.

But the little things can nickel and dime ya to death--if you got someone to donate a freezer is there a place for it in the facility--you could try Craigslist or Freecycle for one--this way you could stock up on staples.

And people, please stop acting as though CaliPoutine is being condescending to her "customers"=--I think she is simply responding to what her restrictions are-- tastes, time constraints and financial limits.

Zoe

Cali, I'll bet we are all glad this turned out so well, first time out. Do you have any shots of folks dining?  How did they like the salad? I think the complaint about too spicy rice was just a reaction to parsley, foreign to some.

Your budgeting is just slightly over $3 per, but that could be the chicken, since these folks don't have huge appetites and half a breast might be enough.

How did the co-ordinator react.? The C comes across as a conservative, provincial

pain in your early reports.

This has been a great blog!

I did take one, but it turned out very dark.

gallery_25969_665_173866.jpg

That wasnt parsley in the rice, it was frozen chopped spinach. The Co-ordinator was out with a family emergency, so there was a substitute co-ordinator. She was the one that suggested cutting the breasts in half. She said everything went really well.

I ran into the former cook this morning while out running errands and she told me that the co-ordinator had very positive things to say about the dinner last night. The Co-ordinator told me that she actually learned something from me. She didnt know that when you bake chix breasts with the skin on, it keeps them moister. So, at least I taught somebody something.

The salad went over really well!! There was hardly any left and what was left, the volunteers ate up.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Appropos of nothing,

the before photo of the room had the camera well out of the serving window, and it was daylight. The dark photo shows the flash bouncing off the nearest white surface, and the camera shuts it down, as if it has enough light for a good picture.

Congratulations Cali. I think you did a great job and I really admire you for taking this on. Older folks (and I am a senior) can be set in their ways, but you keep working on them. Old dogs can learn new tricks, and some of them might really like to experiment a little. I do.

Thanks for this thread.

Just curious about why you took the skin off the chicken?  It's my favorite part.

Because its a "healthy" dining program. I was told to remove the skin, but even if I wasnt told that, I would have removed it. It's where the majority of the spice was placed. Additionally, I had to layer the chicken in the other roasting pans, and the skin didnt crisp up. It was flabby and white.

Hooray!

It went well! You succeeded! And the salad, with the most controversial ingredients (feta, raw onion, olives), was a resounding success. And a compliment from "the boss". Rockin' good work!

My fear was that basmati rice would seem 'undercooked' to people used to minute rice. So maybe mushiness was a blessing in disguise?

And you used fresh carrots, avoiding the horrors of frozen carrots. (I'm all for frozen veg, except for frozen carrots).

After you catch your breath, it would be great to hear what you plan for next time. Did you end up getting those pork shoulders that were on sale for the next meal?

Meant to add re the veg: one of the things that happens to us as we age (on average) is that we become more literal. My dear friend used to have pills "to be taken with food". It didnt matter if she'd eaten a 3-omelet then walked to the car. When she got to the car, she'd eat a cracker, because "the Dr said to take these with food". Her husband used to understand how funny this was, then about 5 years later, he acted the same way. Of course we dont all get this way, but "2 veg" may well mean two separate piles on the plate to some of your clientele, regardless of the green and red things in their rice.

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I'm already planning for the next meal on Jan 25th.

This is on sale this week( starts tomorrow thru next Friday).

1.99 lb. 4.39/kg

BONELESS

BLADE ROAST( I think this might be the same as a chuck roast in the US)

cut from Canada AA

grade beef or higher

Any suggestions for using this cut? Please point me to a recipe that you've used as well. Thanks!!

Stew or pot roast comes to mind with that cut. Certainly something that needs to simmer for some time to make it tender. Blade is the same as chuck and it's what I use for those two dishes all the time.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm already planning for the next meal on Jan 25th.

This is on sale this week( starts tomorrow thru next Friday).

1.99 lb. 4.39/kg

BONELESS

BLADE ROAST( I think this might be the same as a chuck roast in the US)

cut from Canada AA

grade beef or higher

Any suggestions for using this cut?  Please point me to a recipe that you've used as well.  Thanks!!

I just cut out a recipe from the Wall Street Journal (subscription only) - Daniel Boulud's "tender beef with horseradish". Calls for bottom round - but I plan to use it on a chuck roast. The recipe calls for small amounts of a couple of exotic ingredients - like juniper berries and celery root - but I plan to omit them - and you probably can too. Should be worth a try. If you PM or email me with your email address - I'll forward the recipe to you from the WSJ website. One nice thing is it calls for vodka and red wine. You can be very happy while preparing it :smile: .

If it looks too complicated - I will give you the recipe I use for brisket (a similar cut that needs long braising). Very easy with only a few cheap ingredients. One nice thing about a meat braise is you can make it a few days in advance - then reheat before serving.

Whatever recipe you use - you should be prepared for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours of braising.

You know - one interesting thing about getting old is you tend to lose your sense of taste. So strong flavors aren't bad - as long as they're agreeable to the taster. I think that's one reason why the elderly tend to like really sweet things (most people like sweet things - and you need more of "sweet" to taste it as you age). And maybe that's why the salad was a success too (a lot of people like oil and vinegar).

By the way - I thought the salad looked terrific. And I'm not surprised it "sold out". For some reason - at least in our families - making the salad is/was the husband's job. So our folks ate a lot of salad (the men took pride in what they made - and the women were relieved not to have to make everything!). We eat a lot of salad too (my husband inherited his Dad's skills). Wonder if families elsewhere are the same? Robyn

Randi,

I'm sending along a recipe for stew I make with blade roast cut into stew pieces. Essentially you brown the seasoned meat, put in the slow cooker, cut some onions vertically so they are wedges held at the end by the root end, slice leek whites into rings. Saute onions and leeks and add to slow cooker. I add a total of about 1 1/2 cups of liquid, composed of dry sherry, beef stock (glace viande if I have some made), and chopped canned tomatoes of some sort (puree if I don't have them).

Slow cook about 10 hours or so on low, then I microwave carrot chunks, add, microwave parsnips and add. The original recipe calls for canned potatoes - which actually work out wonderfully as they are nice and waxy, or I just cook up some waxy potatoes and add them.

It was a recipe contributed by Peter Gzowski of CBC radio to Canadian Living Magazine. I actually liberated the magazine from a hospital waiting room when I was a student, cause I couldn't find a photocopier.

Thanks for all the suggestions. However, I have a few more disclaimers.

I don't have slow cookers, so everything has to be made on the day its served. Also, I can't use any liquor. I know the alcohol burns off, so that isnt the problem. Its just not in the budget. Alcohol is WAY more expensive here than in the states( as Kerry and Jay and Marlene can attest to)

What else can I sub out for the booze?

Please PM me any recipe you think might work, keeping in mind my time constraints.

Has anyone made the saurbraten from All About Braising?

Thanks for all the suggestions.  However, I have a few more disclaimers. 

I don't have slow cookers, so everything has to be made on the day its served.  Also, I can't use any liquor.  I know the alcohol burns off, so that isnt the problem.  Its just not in the budget.  Alcohol is WAY more expensive here than in the states( as Kerry and Jay and Marlene can attest to)

Please PM me any recipe you think might work, keeping in mind my time constraints. 

I'd probably use more beef stock and some wine or balsamic vinegar to replace the booze. (The LCBO has some nice dry sherries for about $7 a bottle though.)

Would you consider getting one of those big table top 18 or 20 quart roasters from a thrift store to use as a giant slow cooker? It would allow you to cook ahead, and even reheat in the same vessel. I can keep an eye out for one inexpensively if you would like.

Just curious about why you took the skin off the chicken?  It's my favorite part.

Because its a "healthy" dining program. I was told to remove the skin, but even if I wasnt told that, I would have removed it. It's where the majority of the spice was placed. Additionally, I had to layer the chicken in the other roasting pans, and the skin didnt crisp up. It was flabby and white.

Ahh, I missed the healthy part. That makes the meat and potatoes focus even harder!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I don't have slow cookers, so everything has to be made on the day its served.  Also, I can't use any liquor.  I know the alcohol burns off, so that isnt the problem.  Its just not in the budget.  Alcohol is WAY more expensive here than in the states( as Kerry and Jay and Marlene can attest to)

I'd probably use more beef stock and some wine or balsamic vinegar to replace the booze. (The LCBO has some nice dry sherries for about $7 a bottle though.)

Would you consider getting one of those big table top 18 or 20 quart roasters from a thrift store to use as a giant slow cooker? It would allow you to cook ahead, and even reheat in the same vessel. I can keep an eye out for one inexpensively if you would like.

I think they might have one, but another one would be helpful. But, the big thing is time constraints. I have to cook the food at the church. I only get paid for 7.5hrs of work. They might let me cook the meat the day ahead when I work at my other job( the caterer) since the caterer has a commercial kitchen.

Would that recipe work on top of the stove?

I think they might have one, but another one would be helpful. But, the big thing is time constraints. I have to cook the food at the church. I only get paid for 7.5hrs of work. They might let me cook the meat the day ahead when I work at my other job( the caterer) since the caterer has a commercial kitchen.

Would that recipe work on top of the stove?

The original recipe was for stove top in a dutch oven I think. It just used more liquid. I adjusted the recipe for the crock pot and cut back the liquid.

I just found the original recipe on line here. I don't remember all the garlic in it. I must have adjusted it and made it my own. I know that adding the cooked carrots and parsnips at the end worked well with the crock pot, as I never found the veg and meat end up cooking at the same rate.

Stews seem to benefit from reheating, so if you are able to cook it ahead it will be even better.

Thanks Kerry!!

I think I'm going to use this one. I'll need to ask the coordinator if I can make the stew the day before( Wednesday) while I'm at my other job. I have to bake a wedding cake at CBB( my other job, Catering By Barbara, hereinafter known as CBB) That way, it can sit on the stove and slowly cook. Barbara also has giant pots that I can use. I can store it in her walk in and reheat it the next day. I think I might oven roast a bunch of veg/potatoes so the seniors wont complain that they arent getting their 2 veg and starch.

Now, I need a salad and a dessert. I see that 600g bags of frozen mixed berries are on for 2.99. I like the idea of a shortcake for Robbie Burns day. I found this one that uses oatmeal( here is the Scottish twist) and is a drop bisquit

Hopefully, this will all work out and they'll let me make the stew the day ahead. If not, I'll have to come up with an alternate plan.

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

Oh and I just found out I'm going to the The Canadian/International Food and Beverage Show in February. Anyone else in Canada going?

A stew seem to be the way to go and certainly benefits from being made a day or so earlier. I have a recipe for a Scottish stew that is similar to what Kerry has suggested and includes swede and parsnips with a good slosh of worcestershire sauce. Also usually served with dumplings.

If you do go for stew, I know that for 50 pax I always split between 2 pots. Just a heck of a lot easier, and quicker! A good traditional vege dish to go with it is Rumbledethumps, a combination of cabbage and potatos.

A shortcake sounds wonderful, especially if you can get hold of good priced berries.

Maybe you could buy a few shots of drambuie from a local hotel or similar just to fold through your whipped cream? Gotta get whisky in somehow. ( says this wee Scottish lassie... :biggrin: )

Another easy and not expensive dessert is Tipsy Cake, similar to Trifle but you do need some sherry.

Update:

I spoke to the co-ordinator about making the beef stew( Kerry's recipe) one day ahead( Wednesday Jan 24th) while I'm working at my other job. We're cooking for a ladies luncheon and I'll be baking a wedding cake. I explained to her that 1. I'll be cooking it in a commerical kitchen and 2. Stew tastes better made the day before and 3. I can borrow the huge braiser we have at work and use the walk in to store the stew.

How could she say NO???? She didnt!!

So, I spoke to the meat guy at the grocery store about the boneless blade roast that was on sale. He said he could give me something even better for the same price ( chuck tender). I've never heard of that cut, so I'm hoping its good. I asked him if he'd cut it up into stew pieces and he agreed. ( less work for me).

I ordered 18lbs. I'm going to put potatoes in the stew and make a pan of honey roasted root vegetables on the side. I'm getting a donation of a bushel of turnips so the seniors should love that. I'll also use carrots and parsnips and maybe some sweet potato.

For the salad I'm going to cut up iceberg in wedges( I hope to get 6 wedges from 1 head) and make a thousand island dressing. Radish and green onion will round that out.

Dessert is the oat shortcakes( in honor of Robbie Burns day). The recipe only makes 6, but I'm going to make them slightly smaller to get at least 8. I made half a test batch earlier this week and I enjoyed them with some frozen berries. I bought 7 bags( 600g each) if frozen berries. 2 bags of strawberries, 2 of mixed berries and 3 of raspberries. I might not need them all.

I doubt I'll have enough in the budget for whipped cream so cool whip it will have to be!!

I'll be sure to take plenty of photos.