• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking for 50 Senior Citizens

CaliPoutine

They enjoyed the chicken and dumplings, but wanted to know why they didnt get any rolls.  The dumplings were added after this pic was taken.  Its just refridgerated biscuit dough thats cut into strips.  They just didnt understand the concept.

:rolleyes:

I am often asked the same... although no-one asked for rolls when I served Paula Deen's French Toast Casserole for dinner :wink:

One guest commented about our Turkey Pot Pie... that unless there was actual pastry on top, it was not "pie". I had used bread stuffing for the topping. Oh well.

Good to hear you've had your food budget increased! Yay. I'm gonna say the 50 cents can made a big difference. Are you getting much local produce yet? We have a group who are farming just to donate to food sharing projects here

Karen Dar Woon

They enjoyed the chicken and dumplings, but wanted to know why they didnt get any rolls.  The dumplings were added after this pic was taken.  Its just refridgerated biscuit dough thats cut into strips.   They just didnt understand the concept.

:rolleyes:

I am often asked the same... although no-one asked for rolls when I served Paula Deen's French Toast Casserole for dinner :wink:

One guest commented about our Turkey Pot Pie... that unless there was actual pastry on top, it was not "pie". I had used bread stuffing for the topping. Oh well.

Good to hear you've had your food budget increased! Yay. I'm gonna say the 50 cents can made a big difference. Are you getting much local produce yet? We have a group who are farming just to donate to food sharing projects here

I made that french toast casserole for my catering job( is that where you found it?). My seniors would NEVER go for breakfast for dinner.

We're getting tons of local produce in the supermarket( no corn yet, but I made that mistake last year of doing corn on the cob and they couldnt eat it), but no one donates anything to the dining program.

I peek in every time I see a new post, and enjoy every word and picture. The C&D reminds me of a very rich noodle dish, beloved of my Indiana DIL, whose Mom has made it all her life. It's chicken in a very thick sauce, with noodles, and the whole thing ladled over mashed potatoes.

Once they happened in when we were sitting down to chicken pot pie, made in a BIG corning ware with puff pastry top crust, and she mentioned her Mom would have served mashed potatoes with that.

Randi - I have to confess that as a full fledged carb-fool, I am always disappointed in a meal without bread or rolls. It can be meatless or vegetable-less - that's fine. But I gotta have a piece of bread - even with dumplings, stuffing or potatoes. The other night for dinner I had 2 Yorkshire puddings doused with gravy and a roll on the side:blush:! I understand your perplexity, though. We carb fiends make no sense! :laugh:

I peek in every time I see a new post, and enjoy every word and picture.  The C&D reminds me of a very rich noodle dish, beloved of my Indiana DIL, whose Mom has made it all her life.    It's chicken in a very thick sauce, with noodles, and the whole thing ladled over mashed potatoes.

Once they happened in when we were sitting down to chicken pot pie, made in a BIG corning ware with puff pastry top crust, and she mentioned her Mom would have served mashed potatoes with that.

Rachel,

Can you believe I've actually had that? I have a friend in Michigan who is originally from Indiana. She made it for me( there was corn in it too). My first thought was " Oh, my look at all the carbs". It was good though and I rarely turn down a meal when someone is brave enough to cook for me.

Randi  - I have to confess that as a full fledged carb-fool, I am always disappointed in a meal without bread or rolls.  It can be meatless or vegetable-less - that's fine.  But I gotta have a piece of bread - even with dumplings, stuffing or potatoes.  The other night for dinner I had 2 Yorkshire puddings doused with gravy and a roll on the side:blush:!  I understand your perplexity, though.  We carb fiends make no sense!  :laugh:

Ever since being diagnosed with diabetes, I'm ultra aware of the amount of carbs I eat. When I made this dish at home a few weeks ago to try it out, I didnt even make the potoatoes. I'm going to make it again when I cook at a smaller program( 18ppl) in 3 weeks. When I make it again, I'll just cook the rolls off separately instead of adding them in( they kinda melted away anyway).

They did love your dessert. I forgot the maraschino cherries, but I dont think it mattered.

My mind Clickety-Clacks along too fast for my own good. I was thinking about two separate things: The Eternal Cucumbers eaten at the home of c. Sapidus, and the fact that my Daddy tried to curtail his cussin' after my baby Sister was born.

He chose two words that were "safe" and used them in the proper places when he felt like swearing: Thunder was the noun and Everlasting was the adjective; both got a good workout.

I was thinking that you may have landed in the Land of the Everlasting Potatoes. :blink:

I made that french toast casserole for my catering job (is that where you found it?).  My seniors would NEVER go for breakfast for dinner. 

Yup, I got the idea from your catering thread (blush). And, we had a lot of bread donated from a local bakery. I was REALLY worried that the Community Dinner people would have "issues" with breakfast for dinner. The pre-emptive move was to make a wonderful fruit salad... they raved about that, and didn't say much about the french toast. A few people made positive comments. :biggrin: No one complained.

OTOH, if I make a pork dish with no other protein alternatives, people leave :wacko: Even if I have "veggie burgers". Just goes to show...

Karen Dar Woon

• 3 weeks later...

I cooked last night. Cook really is a misnomer, since it was a " cold supper" except I had to heat up the ham.

I feel very defeated though. I only made 1 item from scratch( Ambrosia) and they just raved on and on about the meal.

I made veggie plates with disgusting bottled no name ranch dressing.

purchased red potato salad( Reeser's brand from Food Basics, 5.00 for 1.18kg).

store bought mini croissants

I cut up a seedless watermelon.

Dessert was purchased cherry pie( frozen) that I baked off and vanilla ice cream.

gallery_25969_665_176138.jpg

I only had 23 diners. I cook next week for the program in my town and a neighboring town. I'd planned to make the pork paprikash for my town's program, but I'd defrosted 3 hams and only needed 1. They'll have ham and scalloped potatoes, ambrosia, fresh veg, Jiffy corn muffins( my donation) and trifle.

Wednesdays meal in neighboring town will probably only be 20ppl. They'll have the chicken dumpling meal with the dumpling aka biscuits on the side. Potato salad, veggie plates and/or ambrosia and the ice cream tort for dessert. I have lots of odds and ends leftover so I dont want to waste anything.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Silly me, I just found this thread!

It looks like you really are doing your community a great service, and will probably help countless others by posting your experiences online.

Anyway, I cook once a month for a small group of seniors, so I can sympathize a bit. I am lucky that my group is small, so I can usually modify things to their personal tastes.

One dish they (and my parents, I'm in my 40's so, my parents are, um, older) like is navy bean soup and various variants like dry lima bean stew. These were budget dishes from their Depression-era childhoods and bring back memories. The good news is that they are nutritious and also easy on the wallet. -Although better served in the winter, not in August.

And, I don't know if this sort of dish was ever common in Canada.

I saw the baked beans early in the thread, and this triggered memories of my dad (who rarely admitted to being able to do any cooking beyond grilling) spending an afternoon lovingly sorting through and rinsing dry beans, finding the spices, frying fatback, assembling a huge pot of ingredients, then tending it every half-hour til dinner time.

Of course, my younger brother and I hated the beans and ate the biscuits and salad mom made to go with the beans. So, they were rarely served. Dad got his way with this dinner maybe 4 times a year.

I might very well have served someone their last meal. I just found out that a lady who attended the dining program on Thursday night, died on Friday morning.

I sure hope it wasnt all that processed food they love so much :sad:

I might very well have served someone their last meal.  I just found out that a lady who attended the dining program on Thursday night, died on Friday morning.

I sure hope it wasnt all that processed food they love so much :sad:

Well, if it was her last meal at least it was a meal she loved!

And I'm sure it wasn't your fault. But quite the shock to find out about, I bet!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Oh, Randi,

I'm so sorry you lost a friend. But you know, I'd imagine that if that were her last meal, it would have been just right---sitting with friends, with a kind young chef to serve and clean up. And the "warmed-up," the "store-bought, the "no-name" and the "you bake it" are such a part of the lives of the retired and the widowed and the home-bound generation that that may have been her favorite of all the dinners, just because of the "same old" familiarity of the dishes.

I've cooked for thousands over the years, but I do not envy you this endeavor---I've found that those who pay you most are sometimes less exacting in their expectations than those with a modest budget. And I think this meal completely delivered to her tastes.

If weather permits, I'd suggest a meal of comfort food for the next meeting, something warm and homey, as they remember their friend.

Oh, Randi, it was a great last meal!  Don't blame yourself a bit!  I agree with Rachel, make one of their favorites so they can have some comfort.

Randi, if you're really blaming yourself, get professional help. (Hug) You served a great meal.

But I agree that this death will be on the minds and tongues of the Seniors next time. I agree with rachel -- give them the comfort greatest hits.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Oh, Randi, it was a great last meal!  Don't blame yourself a bit!  I agree with Rachel, make one of their favorites so they can have some comfort.

Randi, if you're really blaming yourself, get professional help. (Hug) You served a great meal.

But I agree that this death will be on the minds and tongues of the Seniors next time. I agree with rachel -- give them the comfort greatest hits.

No, I'm not blaming myself. The sad thing is, I can't picture who the woman is. I know the name, but not the face.

I filled in for another cook today. They loved my food and said " I wish she was our regular cook". Too funny. I think my seniors just take me for granted.

I made Ham and scalloped potatoes( ATK recipe). I made jiffy corn muffins, the same ambrosia I made on Thursday and veggies and dip. They absolutely loved the potatoes too. If you ever need to make scallopped potatoes for a crowd, I'd highly recommend this recipe. You cook onions in butter, then add heavy cream and chicken stock. You simmer the thinly sliced russet potatoes in this, then dump into a pan and cook in the oven for 45min. I added shredded mild cheddar on top.

There is a previous pic somewhere in this thread.

I made a trifle( thank Kerry) too. I used pound cake, birds custard, cool whip, rasberries and rasberry jam. It was a hit. I went in yesterday and made it in a large punchbowl. There wasnt a drop left.

This kitchen is much smaller.

gallery_25969_665_499442.jpg

Not a great picture, but you get the idea.

gallery_25969_665_751569.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I cooked last Thursday( I forgot the camera).

I made a tomato/havarti cheese salad

baked flounder

green beans( frozen)

corn muffins( jiffy mix donated)

hash brown casserole

store bought Apple Pie w/ ice cream.

The grocery store had litterally no meat/pork that fell into my budget. The butcher told me he'd sell me bags of arrowtooth flouder for 2.00. I breaded them and baked them in the oven. I think the fish might have been freezer burnt, because it ended up very soggy.

I should also mention that I have a new coordinator and she received lots of complaints. I went into the office today to turn in receipts. There was a letter waiting for me. Basically, she told me I HAVE to cook roast beef, potatoes, peas and carrots with homeade dessert next week. She told me I can either deal with it, or quit( or I assume be fired).

She went on to say my presentation sucked and I'm not providing enough food.

I'll be calling her tomorrow to set up a meeting this week.

baked flounder

green beans( frozen)

hash brown casserole

The grocery store had litterally no meat/pork that fell into my budget.  The butcher told me he'd sell me bags of arrowtooth flouder for 2.00.  I breaded them and baked them in the oven.  I think the fish might have been freezer burnt, because it ended up very soggy.

I should also mention that I have a new coordinator and she received lots of complaints.  I went into the office today to turn in receipts.  There was a letter waiting for me.  Basically,  she told me I HAVE to cook roast beef, potatoes, peas and carrots with homeade dessert next week.  She told me I can either deal with it, or quit( or I assume be fired).

Time for a new budget I'd say.

Wow, so ungrateful....

I suggest that you get evidence of what the meats cost nowadays, and give a presentation on your budget constraints. Or, you could be a bit passive-aggressive and ask the supervisor where s/he regularly purchases meats for the amount allotted.

If they are going to micro-manage you, you could also try giving in, and calling the supervisor every time you run into a bind. So, in the recent example, you's phone up and say 'The only beef is $7 a pound, the butcher has offered me cod at $2. Do we serve cod, or is it a vegan meal tonight?'

I hope this works out for you, I don't know that I'd be able to keep my cool!

baked flounder

green beans( frozen)

hash brown casserole

The grocery store had litterally no meat/pork that fell into my budget.  The butcher told me he'd sell me bags of arrowtooth flouder for 2.00.  I breaded them and baked them in the oven.  I think the fish might have been freezer burnt, because it ended up very soggy.

I should also mention that I have a new coordinator and she received lots of complaints.  I went into the office today to turn in receipts.  There was a letter waiting for me.  Basically,  she told me I HAVE to cook roast beef, potatoes, peas and carrots with homeade dessert next week.  She told me I can either deal with it, or quit( or I assume be fired).

Time for a new budget I'd say.

It was increased to 3.50 a person. Still not enough!! Most of the "roasts" I saw were over 4.50lb

Wow, so ungrateful....

I suggest that you get evidence of what the meats cost nowadays, and give a presentation on your budget constraints. Or, you could be a bit passive-aggressive and ask the supervisor where s/he regularly purchases meats for the amount allotted.

If they are going to micro-manage you, you could also try giving in, and calling the supervisor every time you run into a bind. So, in the recent example, you's phone up and say 'The only beef is $7 a pound, the butcher has offered me cod at $2. Do we serve cod, or is it a vegan meal tonight?'

I hope this works out for you, I don't know that I'd be able to keep my cool!

To be honest, I came home and cried. I can't freaking believe this letter.

Here is one quote from it " This is my first real project in a new job and I want you to know that I will NOT fail"( emphasis mine).

" As i see it, its very simple to feed elderly people, they want simple tasty homeade food and lots of it". " They dont want mushy undercooked fish( it wasnt undercooked) with 4 beans and store bought pie".

I could go on and on, but this is really upsetting me.

I will tell her that they prefer their veggies mushy, they hate peas, they love storebought food and they dont want tons of food. I was constantly throwing out food, so I've reduced the amount I buy to stay within budget.

Eta: there was still leftover poatoes and veggies.

Oh, I have to add this other little gem " I dont know where you grew up, but here in Huron County, you are dealing with a farming comunity". They're used to bowls briming with food and not having to try to figure out how to take the right amount so the bowl goes around the table".

Total BS. My MIL and every other relative's house I've eaten at doesnt serve " bowls briming with food". My MIL( who grew up in this county) always thinks I serve too much food.

Deep breath Randi, deep breath.

Well, she certainly failed in one aspect of the new job -- her people management skills.

Cry, deep breath, and re-group. You have a wealth of budget info and reactions to dishes posted here that you can use to demonstrate your unbelievable efforts to give the group what they want, within the budget constraints you have, and while trying to provide them with something good.

I haven't posted on this thread before but always read it with interest. This annoyed me enough to post my support for you.

Randi - that stinks. What an ugly way for someone to act. Especially when she is so new. No people skills, obviously. I've worked with people like that and I've never had one improve on aging. I hope things go better for you and that she realizes what a treasure she has in you. You have a clear record of what you've fed them and what they liked and didn't - why not show her that. I'd ignore her ugly actions and just pretend that she has the good motives that you do - feeding those folks, good, healthy food that doesn't go over budget. Assume you are on the same page and she won't have any choice but to act nice or show her true colors. If you can't work with her, it's better to know now before you agonize over it for ages. Thinking of you! <<<<hugs>>>>!