• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking for 50 Senior Citizens

CaliPoutine

• 1 month later...

I'm all better( fingers crossed) and have cooked a few times in October. The first meal of October was the Thanksgiving meal. Nothing different from last year so no pics. The second meal was at a program 50 miles from my house( I was paid milage). This program has their menu set in advance as it meets 1x a month. I was told to make sausage and saurkraut. The coordinator even picked up the sausage for me( it was from a butcher in the area). It was an easy meal. I made a Greek salad, mashed potatoes, frozen veg, and store bought apple pie w/ ice cream. No complaints.

I cook today at my program. I'm making a bastardized version of salisbury steak. I got 4 preformed fresh hamburger patties for 1.99 a package. I froze them and defrosted on Monday. I'm not doing much to the beef, but am making the sauce from scratch with beef broth, onions, mushrooms,etc.

I'm making the same greek salad, mashed, frozen veg and store bought blueberry pie that I'll bake off from frozen. Kinda boring.

Pics to be added later.

• 5 weeks later...

I cooked again last thursday. Smothered pork chops and a roasted beet salad. I also made baked apples. As I walked by a table, a woman said to her tablemates " The salad had no flavor". Excuse me? How can a salad made with roasted beets, red onion, goat cheese, mandarin oranges and homemade dressing have no flavor. I said "sorry you didnt like it" and walked away.

I wont be cooking for this agency ever again.

I was called into a meeting today and fired. I asked why and they refuse to tell me. They said my performance was unsatisfactory. Yeah, after 3 freaking years? Give me a break. My supervisor has had it out for me from day 1. I have her letter where she blatenly is discriminating against me. Oh well, on to bigger and better things.

I'm really sorry to hear about this turn of events. It's clear that they did not deserve to have you there. Still, I know that being fired can be an emotionally draining experience. (and the loss of income is a real bummer)

I hope you get an opportunity where people recognize your talents! We think you've done a great job, and gone beyond what was required. If you need a reference, send me a private message.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and hope that you will find something else that is fulfilling very soon. If you choose to cook for geriatric patients, then I hope you will study the subject matter a bit because I think you are most likely a great cook, but you have to admit that there was never a common denominator between you and the people you were paid to cook for. You wanted them to up to date on food, and, truth be known, they weren’t. That doesn’t mean you were wrong or they were wrong. That does mean you were paid to satisfy their tastes, and you did not do it and you also found insult when you didn’t meet their needs.

God love you – I know you tried, but it seemed to me that they either liked your food or they were “wrong”. That’s just not the case.

You are talking about people who grew up thinking pork with any type of pink would kill you. You’re not going to change that; you’re just not.

You are also talking about people who fought in WW2 and the Korean War. My father was one. I love him to death, and he has loved me cooking for him for many, many years. Now, it’s kindof different. He sometimes decides that he doesn’t like something, never has, and never will. Mind you, he’s eaten that dish for decades and loved it! Just the other night I was staying with him and made his favorite meal, which he wouldn’t touch.

Cooking for the elderly is difficult, and if you only want to do this for extra income, then cook for someone else or take some classes like someone else suggested. My father may be difficult, but he has fought in 2 wars for this country, served as a policeman, buried both parents and a brother who he had raised as a son, buried his own son, and made life better for his family and so many others in so many ways. If there was an animal being neglected, then he adopted him… and on and on.

And he doesn’t like any pink in his pork. If you think the man’s pork is overcooked, so what. That’s what he wants. I absolutely know there is a line when good food and food for the elderly meet. If you want to cook for them, then you must find that balance.

It’s like so many other things… know your audience.

Rhonda

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and hope that you will find something else that is fulfilling very soon. If you choose to cook for geriatric patients, then I hope you will study the subject matter a bit because I think you are most likely a great cook, but you have to admit that there was never a common denominator between you and the people you were paid to cook for. You wanted them to up to date on food, and, truth be known, they weren’t. That doesn’t mean you were wrong or they were wrong. That does mean you were paid to satisfy their tastes, and you did not do it and you also found insult when you didn’t meet their needs.

God love you – I know you tried, but it seemed to me that they either liked your food or they were “wrong”. That’s just not the case.

You are talking about people who grew up thinking pork with any type of pink would kill you. You’re not going to change that; you’re just not.

You are also talking about people who fought in WW2 and the Korean War. My father was one. I love him to death, and he has loved me cooking for him for many, many years. Now, it’s kindof different. He sometimes decides that he doesn’t like something, never has, and never will. Mind you, he’s eaten that dish for decades and loved it! Just the other night I was staying with him and made his favorite meal, which he wouldn’t touch.

Cooking for the elderly is difficult, and if you only want to do this for extra income, then cook for someone else or take some classes like someone else suggested. My father may be difficult, but he has fought in 2 wars for this country, served as a policeman, buried both parents and a brother who he had raised as a son, buried his own son, and made life better for his family and so many others in so many ways. If there was an animal being neglected, then he adopted him… and on and on.

And he doesn’t like any pink in his pork. If you think the man’s pork is overcooked, so what. That’s what he wants. I absolutely know there is a line when good food and food for the elderly meet. If you want to cook for them, then you must find that balance.

It’s like so many other things… know your audience.

Rhonda

Wow, a little harsh dont you think? Just an FYI, this isnt a career choice for me, I actually have an advanced degree that I can't use in this county. I took this job because it was all I could find at the time. I'm in a very small town and it was well paying for what it was. I'd actually been getting some very good feedback on my meals. I know that my being let go has NOTHING to do with my cooking and everything to do with a personality clash between myself and my stupidvisor. If you look back, I posted a letter she wrote me after the first meal she worked.

When I was sick and missed 3 dining programs, the cook who filled in for me made quiche, served cold cuts from the deli and made some chicken dish with french onion soup mix and cranberry sauce. They complained about her meals too.

I know that I'm an excellent cook and I know that nothing I could do would please certain people. I dont take that personally. What I take personally is the rude comments and staring and whispering. That is just uncalled for.

When I was hired, I was told " you're the cook, you make whatever you want". That didnt turn out to be true. Look back at this thread and all the meals I cooked. Do you see pink pork? I dont think so? Do you see rare beef? No!! I did cater to their needs while throwing in some excellent salads( things they never would have tried) and desserts. I dont feel bad about anything I did at the job.

Thanks for your support.

Randi, I'm sorry for all of this. I'm quite sure that you did a good job and that it was appreciated by some and not by others. The problem with the boss was insurmountable once she decided that she didn't like/want you. Some things aren't fixable. I work every day with the same population that you were serving. Some of those folks just won't be pleased or satisfied, no matter what. After working with seniors for 2 years, I've decided that the next person who talks about teenagers being surly or entitled or ill mannered needs to work with the elderly for a few weeks.

I know with your intelligence, energy and talent that better things are coming for you!

Sorry to hear your news, Randi. I find it tough working in the not-for-profit sector. especially w/r/t serving low-income seniors, vs. working professionals.

Best of luck with your next move.

Karen Dar Woon

Wow, a little harsh dont you think? Just an FYI, this isnt a career choice for me, I actually have an advanced degree that I can't use in this county. I took this job because it was all I could find at the time.

No, I don't think it was harsh. I said that you were most likely a great cook who didn't know her audience. I wish you the absolute best, but when it comes to cooking for my father who attends Council on Aging twice a week, I would rather the cook there who talks to them and asks them what they want to eat. They vote -- how novel is that :) Then, they have a stake in it, and all of a sudden, they like the food. I love that woman a lot!

Rhonda

Wow, a little harsh dont you think? Just an FYI, this isnt a career choice for me, I actually have an advanced degree that I can't use in this county. I took this job because it was all I could find at the time.

No, I don't think it was harsh. I said that you were most likely a great cook who didn't know her audience. I wish you the absolute best, but when it comes to cooking for my father who attends Council on Aging twice a week, I would rather the cook there who talks to them and asks them what they want to eat. They vote -- how novel is that :) Then, they have a stake in it, and all of a sudden, they like the food. I love that woman a lot!

Rhonda

We have talked to them. We did surveys's etc. They like roast beef. Unfortunatly, I can't get a decent piece of beef for 1.99lb( budget). I tried, a volunteer tried, but the meat is tough because they want it cooked to very well done. So, I accomodated them and made pot roast, numerous times. They loved it.

I've served mashed potatoes for the last 10 meals, probably. I dont understand why you think I'm not accomodating. I havent heard anything from the supervisor regarding this either. This isnt a restaurant and they dont have to eat there. They chose to attend each week, even the complainers come back week after week. If 1 or 2 people dont like peas and carrots,oh well, dont eat them. I know its just the same 1 or 2 who complain. I have also received a lot of compliments from others. My food IS NOT the issue.

Cali- I am so sorry for this but let it be the stepping stone to greater things! Your perseverance through all of this has been remarkable and I have great pity for whoever they hire next. It was clear from the start that your superviser had it in for you. I was shocked by the things she said and her unethical behavior( taking the agency bought food home and serving it to her husband). Walk away with your head held high- you deserve the best!