• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking for 50 Senior Citizens

CaliPoutine

• 2 weeks later...

Todays meal

Inside round oven roast

mashed potatoes

yorkshire puddings

cole slaw

frozen mixed veg

choc. cups filled with mouse.

This was a valentine meal. First, I have to say that I feel totally vindicated. One of my volunteers( an older woman who grew up in this area) volunteered to cook the roast since she's experienced with roast cooking. I was all for it!! I bought 2 10lb inside round roasts on sale for 1.99lb. My volunteer said that she never makes roasts the day before and reheats, instead she would start cooking it early in the morning for our 12 noon meal. She put the roast in @ 5:45am and pulled them @ 11:30( tented w/ foil for 20 min). The roast was very well done!!

Well, I'm happy to say that someone complained to the volunteer( the one who cooked the roasts). LOL. They told her it wasnt cooked enough. The volunteer replied ( It was in the oven for 6hrs). The complainer said " It's tough". LOL. I'm sorry I'm laughing, but I'm glad to know its not only me who gets complaints. When the roast was being sliced, the volunteer who cooked it, tasted it and said it was a bit tough. I told her that I think you just can NOT get an oven roast that will be tender for 1.99lb. I also said to her that "I give up" making oven roasts, the only beef roast I'll do from now on is pot roast.

Anyway, there were lots of other compliments and we sold 4 takeouts( 22 people dined). This was a relatively cheap meal to make. I spent $79.00.

gallery_25969_665_280912.jpg

I made yorkshire puddings to go with the roast in lieu of rolls. These are a frozen product put out my President's Choice. They're a product of England. 12 in a bag for 3.49.

gallery_25969_665_528666.jpg

I made coleslaw( no pic). I used 1 head of cabbage( 1.15), a bunch of green onions( .50), 2 carrots( taken from a big bag at the main office) and 4 apples that I bought on clearance for 99cents( for 6). I used a bottled cole slaw dressing that was already in the church fridge along with some vinegar and celery seeds.

They also had a bag of frozen mixed veg( 1.99 for 1kg). I used two bags.

I bought a 15lb bag of russet potatoes a few weeks ago for 4.99

The dessert was another bargain find. I bought 4 boxes of these chocolate cups on clearance for 1.94 each. I made 4 packages of Dr. Oetker mouse( 1.69 each) and filled them with my pastry bag. The milk was 2.37(1L). I garnished with 2 boxes of Florida strawberries( served 4 diabetics strawberries too) 1.99 each. There is a little choc. covered biscuit( cookie). These are a President's Choice product. A big box of assorted cookies was on clearance for .94. They were 7.99 @ xmas time.

gallery_25969_665_227962.jpg

gallery_25969_665_507157.jpg

Overall, the meal turned out well. The next meal will be in two weeks and I'll be repeating the Pork roast I made for another program.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Yay! I agree about ditching the roasts other than pot roasts. No matter how thinly you slice it, it still won't be as tender as something like a good fatty rib roast (which I'm sure they'd complain about, too).

The popovers look good--did you taste one? I might need to try them when I'm home in the summer.

And those desserts! Yum!

Next time you see the roasts on sale just cube them up for stew

now I really want something chocolate....thanks :raz:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The popovers look good--did you taste one?  I might need to try them when I'm home in the summer.

I only tasted the yorkshire pudding because the label said they left out the beef fat. Honestly, I'm not sure what they're supposed to taste like because I've never had one( I dont eat red meat). That being said, it was good. Everyone really liked them.

The popovers look good--did you taste one?  I might need to try them when I'm home in the summer.

I only tasted the yorkshire pudding because the label said they left out the beef fat. Honestly, I'm not sure what they're supposed to taste like because I've never had one( I dont eat red meat). That being said, it was good. Everyone really liked them.

You can make yorkies without beef fat. I do it all the time. I've had the President's choice ones, and well, they just don't quite get there. But then I make them a lot. I imagine for this group, they were just fine.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

You can make yorkies without beef fat. I do it all the time. I've had the President's choice ones, and well, they just don't quite get there. But then I make them a lot. I imagine for this group, they were just fine.

Marlene,

I actually thought about you while I was throwing them in the oven. LOL. I know you make them all the time, and I'm sure I could have made them, but didnt really have the time or the inclination. So, what are homemade ones supposed to taste like? I tasted the ready made ones and it was ok, nothing I'd go out of my way to purchase for myself though.

So, what are homemade ones supposed to taste like?  I tasted the ready made ones and it was ok, nothing I'd go out of my way to purchase for myself though.

Eggy, buttery, yummy goodness? Mine usually have a waffle-like flavour (not the sweet kind), and crisp outside, soft inside. On a good day. Or else, they are a bit doughy inside. :unsure:

Karen Dar Woon

• 2 weeks later...

I cooked the old fashioned pork roast again for yesterday's meal. I took them out of the freezer on Monday and one of them was still frozen on Wednesday. I had no choice but to cook it anyway and hope for the best. I bought these boneless shoulder roasts at a different grocery store for 1.79lb. They were so much fattier than the other roasts I cooked. I couldnt trim the fat off before cooking because they were still mostly frozen. I did a lot of trimming yesterday.

I cooked them for 6hrs and one of them was still not cooked enough. When I sliced them yesterday, parts were still very, very pink. I cooked them for another 2hrs in the gravy and they came out great. I got lots of compliments too!!!

No pictures of the roast because it looked much like ones I cooked 2 weeks ago.

I made a garden salad. I also made "homemade" dressing using a package of Green Garden dressing mix( made by Clubhouse aka McCormicks). I got the packet on clearance for .37. I used half the package, 3/4 cup of mayo and 1/4 of milk. They really loved it. I had a table ask for more salad. I used 2 heads of iceberg(1.00 each(, 2 romaine hearts(1.99), 2 packages of sliced mushrooms( on sale for 1.00 each), an English cuke( .79), 2 carrots( from a big bag I bought a few months ago), a red bell pepper and half a sliced red onion. I had a bag of croutons also bought on clearance for .67. I had a big bar of mozzarella cheese leftover from when I made the chicken parmesean months ago. I used half of that. The other half will go into a salad for another program next week.

They had PC garlic bread, frozen corn and mashed red skin potatoes.

gallery_25969_665_434979.jpg

I made lemon meringue pie for dessert. I used the No Name pie crust( 1.99 for 2) and the Shirrif lemon filling( on sale for 1.11). The filling uses 2 egg yolks, water and a few tbls of butter. I made 5 pies and had 1.5 leftover. One of my volunteers said " I always make my pie filling from scratch".( but that didnt stop her from taking 4 pieces home) I said that I normally do too. I always feel I need to explain myself. These people have No clue how I really cook!!

gallery_25969_665_568880.jpg

I did overhear one of the ladies( another constant complainer) telling the volunteer ( who cooked the beef last week) that it wasnt cooked enough. The voluneteer was totally defending me, saying how its the cut of beef, etc. I later thanked her for having my back. I told the coordinator that I'm not going to make an oven roast anymore and she agreed.

I'm cooking at another program next week. I'm making breaded turkey scallopine that I got on sale. The program only gets about 12-18 diners each week.

Smile sweetly at the pie-filling volunteer and say "I accept". When she gapes at you, tell her lemon meringue pie is on the menu in three months, and you're delighted she's volunteered to make the filling.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I cooked today at a smaller program in a neighboring town. The main office has decided to partner with a retirement home in the same town. The seniors will eat at the retirement home and their cook will be providing their meal. The seniors wont eat w/ the retirement home residents though. The regular cook was told she was losing that program( she still cooks 1x a week in my town) so she found a new job that she needed to start asap. I'll be cooking there 1x a week for the month of April( expect April 8th). The group is small( today was 14ppl). We sold 8 takeouts because we reduced the price to 3.00(instead of 6.00). They didnt get the bun or salad though.

I had so much leftover. I made turkey cutlets, a salad( with apples, pears and dried cranberries), mashed, corn, PC "bake it yourself" rolls and the same lemon pie I made last week. I also gave them the leftover applesauce. One lady did ask for gravy, but they were all very happy with the meal.

• 4 weeks later...

Last nights meal.

Cesar salad( homemade dressing)

bbq chicken

mashed

frozen veg w/ cheddar cheese

brownie sundae's

The chicken was on special for 99cents a pound. It was an entire cut up chicken coated in a BBQ spice. I just threw it on sheet pans and baked it. So easy and they loved it. I'd bought one for myself a month ago and absolutely hated it. I thought it was way too salty and just plane nasty. Even my non-foodie spouse didnt like it.

gallery_25969_665_351441.jpg

I took a shortcut w/ dessert. I'd just arrived home on Wednesday after being in Cali for 2 weeks. Before I left, I picked up these frozen ready to bake brownies in MI( Duncan Hines). The dough was raw and in plastic pans. Once again, they liked it, I thought it sucked.

The watermelon is the diabetic dessert.

gallery_25969_665_94192.jpg

The cook who works in my town has resigned. I'm interviewing for her position on Monday. That program runs every single week and has about 50ppl each time. I've filled in there numerous time and they've always liked my food.

In April. I'm cooking at another program 4x starting next Wednesday. Its a small group( about 15). I'm making potroast next week, Ham and scalloped the following week, and honey garlic sausage the week after that. I have one more meal to plan for them.

Last nights meal.

Cesar salad( homemade dressing)

bbq chicken

mashed

frozen veg w/ cheddar cheese

brownie sundae's

The chicken was on special for 99cents a pound.  It was an entire cut up chicken coated in a BBQ spice.  I just threw it on sheet pans and baked it.  So easy and they loved it.  I'd bought one for myself a month ago and absolutely hated it.  I thought it was way too salty and just plane nasty.  Even my non-foodie spouse didnt like it. 

gallery_25969_665_351441.jpg

I took a shortcut w/ dessert.  I'd just arrived home on Wednesday after being in Cali for 2 weeks.  Before I left, I picked up these frozen ready to bake brownies in MI( Duncan Hines).  The dough was raw and in plastic pans.  Once again, they liked it, I thought it sucked. 

The watermelon is the diabetic dessert.

gallery_25969_665_94192.jpg

The cook who works in my town has resigned.  I'm interviewing for her position on Monday.  That program runs every single week and has about 50ppl each time.  I've filled in there numerous time and they've always liked my food. 

In April. I'm cooking at another program 4x starting next Wednesday.  Its a small group( about 15).  I'm making potroast next week, Ham and scalloped the following week, and honey garlic sausage the week after that.  I have one more meal to plan for them.

Good luck in your interview!

I love seeing this thread pop up, it's always interesting to see what you come up with (and inspiring, because I find myself having to cook for cranky old family members, quite often...).

Sounds like things are picking up around there, and you're getting more jobs. I think it was only a matter of time, in a small town. You're good at what you do, and word-of-mouth does great things. Good luck with everything, and if you get more regular deals, keep us updated (if you have time, haha).

In April. I'm cooking at another program 4x starting next Wednesday.  Its a small group( about 15).  I'm making potroast next week, Ham and scalloped the following week, and honey garlic sausage the week after that.  I have one more meal to plan for them.

Will you be able to combine purchasing or prep with your other contract in order to take advantage of economies of scale?

Best to you w/ your interview. It'll be nice for you to work with some folks who actually express their appreciation of your cooking & work.

Karen Dar Woon

Today I cooked for the smaller group in the neighboring town.

I started "pot roast" yesterday in a crock pot, but it only had about 6hrs before being put in the fridge for the night. I gave it three more hours in the oven at the location, but It probably could have cooked all night. I'd love to brown the meat off, but I just dont have enough time. I used a bag of leftover diced turnip that I had in the freezer, onions, lipton onion soup mix, water and a box of the new mushroom cooking sauce. Everyone raved about the gravy.

gallery_25969_665_196474.jpg

I made Greek Salad because I got a package of feta chunks with black olives on clearance for 2.00. I also got romaine hearts on sale for 2.49( for a package of 3). I made dressing using my own Penzey's greek blend w/ some country french mix.

gallery_25969_665_808644.jpg

I made a dessert that was in the new Kraft food and family magazine. A layer of graham crackers, next is sweetened cream cheese mixed with whipped cream( the recipe calls for cool whip, but I used real whipped cream). The next layer is 2 boxes of jello, 1 cup of water and 3 cups of frozen raspberries. The final layer is more whipped cream. They liked it a lot.

gallery_25969_665_574391.jpg

Randi, how did the interview go??  Or is it *next* Monday, April 6?

I've had my fingers crossed (figuratively....) for you !

I'm not sure. I was asked the exact same questions as when I was first hired for the current position( 2x a month). Since I've filled in numerous times at the program they're hiring for, I expounded on how much they like my food, my budgeting and shopping abilities, etc, etc.

But, and here is the big But. My coordinator told me that they want to hire an extra person because they just can't have 1 cook for both programs. ( which doesnt make sense because before I was hired, the current cook worked 3 programs). I asked them that question and they confirmed. So, I dont know what they're thinking. If they hire a new person, they'll be working 4x a month, while I'm only working 2x a month. That doesnt seem fair. I said that if they were going to hire someone new, I'd prefer to work at the location in my town that meets 4x a month and the new person can take the problem program( the one I currently work). We'll see what happens. This is all going to be a moot point eventually, because while I was in Cali, I picked up my transcripts from law school and will be sending them in to the law board of Ontario to be evalauated. I want to see what I need to do to practice law here.

• 1 month later...

So, I didnt get the job :sad:

I had a meeting scheduled to discuss the reasons why I didnt get it, but I had to cancel because we had a death in our family. I also didnt work for a month because of said death. I cook today. To say that I'm not into it anymore is an understatement. I'm completely flabergasted as to why I didnt get the position in my town.

Anyway, todays meal will be

bacon wrapped pork medallions( I got them for 99cents for a package of 4)

I'm cooking them with apples and apple juice and some chix broth. I'll make a gravy out of that

country style biscuits( pillsbury)

BLT salad( spring mix( should be romaine, but spring mix was on sale), tomatoes, red onion, grated cheddar, bacon and ceasar dressing)

frozen peas and carrots( they'll hate them, but I'm cleaning out the freezer and I found 2 bags of these)

baked potatoes w/ sour cream

Honey Oat and Granola Pie w/ ice cream(Pillsbury Bake-off, 1million grand prize winner a few years back)

Will add pics later.

So, I didnt get the job  :sad:

I had a meeting scheduled to discuss the reasons why I didnt get it, but I had to cancel because we had a death in our family.  I also didnt work for a month because of said death.  I cook today.  To say that I'm not into it anymore is an understatement.  I'm completely flabergasted as to why I didnt get the position in my town.

Eh, their loss.

I hope things work out for you Randi.

I hate to say it but I wonder if you purposely did not get the job because you persevered at the Senior Center from you know where. They are probably thinking that since you have put up with it this long...

Sending good thoughts your way. :)

Hi Randi

I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm so sorry you didn't get the job. Something else will turn up, I just know it!

The Honey Oat and Granola pie sounds really good. I'll have to search that recipe out. Can't wait to see your pictures.