• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the *one* thing to eat in San Fran?

Gastro888

Not yet, Ah Leung Goh. I am still on the East Coast and will be flying out tomorrow morning to the sunny warmth of the West. I will bring my digicam and take photos of what I will be eating at lunch. I can't wait to go into the Ferry Building and (hopefully) IAO burger. I think I might do a late night trek there if I have the chance. If only I can sneak away...

the sunny warmth of the West.

It is sunny and bright, yes... but we have been having a cold snap and it has been getting quite chilly here. Although I have been pleased to say that I have sufficed with only wearing a heavy sweater outside in the afternoons.

I would recommend going to the Swann Oyster Depot or Tadich Grill for lunch. Both are classic San Francisco institutions. Oysters at Hog Island in the Ferry Building is also a good choice.

I second eje's Swann Oyster Depot recommendation. When we were in SF, we had the opportunity to eat many places. However, at Swann Oyster Deport, I felt most like a local instead of a tourist and felt like I had a true SF experience. Plus, I enjoyed really great seafood.

Well, you may not have enough free time and I would certainly include The Ferry Building on your visit, but if you have the extra time I would also consider hopping over to Swan Oyster Depot; a taxi is probably easiest. The Crab Louis is very good, as are their oysters. As an East coaster who loves Maryland blue crab and cakes made with them, I think the Crab Louis is a great use for the local Dungeness crab--as are the Vietnamese and other Asian preps mentioned above. If you get the Crab Louis, make sure to adjust the taste of the sauce with lemon juice as you prefer. I'd never previously had a Crab Louis preparation that I could enjoy but finally understood its fame after having it at Swan Oyster Depot. There is counter seating; no reservations, but if you get there off-lunchtime rush during the week I think you wouldn't have to wait long. The great atmosphere takes you back to SF pre-1960 at least and the seafood is fresh and delicious.

Hope the weather cooperates with your flight departure; it will be a nice time to escape to warmer climes although it is a bit cooler here than usual. Have a nice trip!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I can't shake the desire to try IAO, though...

Don't fight it...you gotta try it. Get the double-double with fresh onion. There is also animal style but I think it best to try the original first then go back again for the animal style. Before In-N-Out came down to San Diego, I would drive almost an hour to get to the nearest one. Well worth the trip.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Honestly, there is much hype around slanted door. Spend your precious time enjoying somewhere else :)

The food presents washed down Vietnamese flavors, and you will notice very few Asian locals will visit this establishment.

Thanks majmaj40!  I never heard of the Ferry Building.  It looks like it has alot to offer.  Neat stores!

How is the In-and-Out buger in SF?  Is it worth the hike for me to get there (looks far from the convention center on the map)?  I never tried it and have heard so many good things about it.

Slanted door, House of Nanking etc. are all excellent places to have a lunch/dinner in San Francisco but I'd vote for Clam Chowder, sourdough and fresh crab/oysters at fisherman's wharf if you only have one shot. San Francisco is the home of sourdough and it would definitely be my first suggestion.

Also, if you are into beer, there is a great beer shop just around the corner from Moscone too. It's called City Beer Store, it's on Folsom. It's a combination tasting/retail spot for beer. There are a lot of similar wine stores but this is the first of it's kind for beer in California.

Hello all! I had some wonderful meals in SF and I actually had more than one chance to eat on my own - oh yeah! I've got some pictures to upload and I can honestly tell you that I love the Ferry Building and it's a great place to just hang out. Oh yeah and that Peet's coffee rules. It beats Starbucks hands down!

Will update more later! Thank you for all your help!

First off, San Fran's Ferry Building rules. I love it as soon as I walked into the building. Wow, it's just a great mecca of foodie delights! I didn't know where to start so after walking around. I decided to follow people's advice about Hog Island oyster so I went and salad and clam chowder.

Big mistake.

It was underwhelming. I felt like I was in on some kind of tourist joke. The food wasn't horrible or bad - it just wasn't as spectacular as I thought it (could? should?) would be. The chowder was more like clams steamed in milk and a potato garnish. I was expecting a rich, thick, chunky chowder to dig into with the tasty bread. The first sip of the chowder smacked of black pepper. The broth was very thin and lacked that richness that I associate with chowders. The salad was simple and nice but nothing to write home about. Overall it was an eh meal. I would've been better off at Mijita for my first meal.

The clams in mi..., uh, chowder:

gallery_19890_766_434513.jpg

The salad:

gallery_19890_766_360270.jpg

HOWEVER, the bakery across the way, Miette, is wonderful. They have great pistachio macarons. Why have I ignored the joy that is a perfect, simple macaron until now? Their macarons are light, fluffy, creamy and not too sweet with a great pistachio flavor. Miette is an organic pastisserie that is not only cute but delicious.

See how nice the macarons are? I don't have a sweet tooth and I ate about 1/2 dozen of these while I was there.

gallery_19890_766_290267.jpg

I'll post more later. I had a chance to eat at Mijita, Golden Gate Bakery, IAO burger, Peet's and Golden Gate Butcher shop.

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

Well, the Clam in mi... err chowder looks pretty tasty to me. Sorry you didn't enjoy it!

Certainly not the thickened new england or Manhattan style, though.

More Italian inspired, with the unthickened broth and clams with shells. Seems like it would be good on a bed of fettuccine.

I've wondered about other food there; but, have only tried the oysters, so far.

Thanks for the writeup! Looking forward to reading more.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Well, the Clam in mi... err chowder looks pretty tasty to me.  Sorry you didn't enjoy it!

Certainly not the thickened new england or Manhattan style, though.

Seems more Italian inspired, with the unthickened broth and clams with shells.  Seems like it would be good on a bed of fettuccine.

I've wondered about other food there; but, have only tried the oysters, so far.

Thanks for the writeup!  Looking forward to reading more.

That's the only thing I've ever had there as well (raw oysters). I also agree the clams look great. But I do conceed that if it was simply listed as "Clam Chowder" on the menu, and I got that, I'd be pretty surprised. I certainly would not expect that. And I can see how someone that was really wanting what virtually everyone thinks of clam chowder being dissapointed.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Too bad about the clam chowder. I wouldn't like it either. I'm sorry to say it does sound like inoffensive tourist fare.

Hog Island's reputation is based on its business as a purveyer of oysters, which they grow in the Bay Area. It's not a restaurant chain (as far as I know), although they've set up a restaurant in the Ferry Bldg. Their business is really fresh, raw oysters, which they sell to some of the Bay Area's top restaurants.

gastro, weren't you planning to eat Pacific oysters? We thought you would be safe there!

I've had a great oyster chowder at Hog Island although I think it was also a thinner broth style (which I happen to like). Usually I don't order New England clam chowder on the West coast though as at most places I've seen the opposite problem to what you encountered for your taste--- too thick and pasty for me!

The pistachio macarons sound delicious and I'm looking forward to your other reports.

(After I tasted my first French-style macaron a few years ago I immediately learned how to make them at home; they are a great, great thing. Congrats on your discovery!)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

(Right now I'm suffering from jet lag, so apologies for being brief!)

Yeah, I thought I was going to be safe there but I wasn't. I was going to get raw oysters but the clam chowder was calling me (damn siren!) & I answered b/c I have a weakness for goooood chowder. Plus, I was a bit zonkered from the flight and wanted something hot to revive me.

I tell you, you San Fran folks are so lucky to have the Ferry Building. What a great place to hang out and eat! It's just so nice to go there, have a wonderful Peet's ice coffee and watch the water lap against the boats.

Did I mention I love Peet's iced coffee? Wow, what an iced coffee....

More to come in the morning!

Ahhh, I should've gotten a plate of oysters instead at Hog Island. :sad:

And it was listed on the menu as "Clam Chowder" so when I received my milky clams (clammy milk? :laugh: ), you can see from the picture why I was disappointed. But I must admit, the view and the bread service was quite nice. Check out the bread and the breadsticks, which I might add were the tastiest breadsticks I've ever had and I've been to Italy!

gallery_19890_766_303940.jpg

And the view from my table that made up for the eh food:

gallery_19890_766_90616.jpg

Another shot of the yummy breadsticks:

gallery_19890_766_330645.jpg

Is that wee shopping bag cute? It's from this great chocolate shop down the way from Miette and Hog Island called Recchiuti Confections. Wow, what a great chocolate shop. They make their chocolates by hand and they are very high quality, I must say. I'm not a chocolate person and I loved their dark chocolate truffle. It was smooth, creamy, well tempered with a clean finish. Nothing cloying, overly sweet or artifical about it at all. I purchased some chocolates and fruit jellies to take home, so that's why the bag's in the shot. Well, that and I had nowhere else to put it. :raz:

While I was shopping for the chocolates I tried their hazelnut piedmont chocolate. Delish! I love the detail on it:

gallery_19890_766_400217.jpg

I'll post more later. I had a fish taco for the first time plus this great sausage on a stick from Golden Gate Meat company. One day I had two for breakfast. Forget the bread, egg and cheese - get to the good stuff for breakfast!

Ahhh, I should've gotten a plate of oysters instead at Hog Island.  :sad:

And it was listed on the menu as "Clam Chowder" so when I received my milky clams (clammy milk?  :laugh: ), you can see from the picture why I was disappointed.  But I must admit, the view and the bread service was quite nice.  Check out the bread and the breadsticks, which I might add were the tastiest breadsticks I've ever had and I've been to Italy! 

[...]

Where does Hog Island get its bread?

ACME?

I also was struck by how good the bread service was when I ate there.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I think there are some funny regional differences going on here. I would never dream of ordering Clam Chowder at Hog Island but your photo makes me think I should! I don't like that roux-based thick chowder that is traditional. That soup looks great. And with actual clams! I think it's fair to say food in the area is more influenced by Italy than New England.

Whether it was a hit or not, I don't think it was geared towards tourists. If it were, it would be in a bread bowl and you wouldn't see the actual shells. And the clams would have been from a can.

I can see what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

i'm with rancho. i'm afraid this may be one of those occasions where one misses the charms of the dish that's served because he is expecting something else. that looks to me like an amazing clam chowder. traditionally, chowders are not those flour-thickened things you see today. look at old recipes and you'll see that they're cream and potatoes and whatever the featured ingredient is. the flavor you get from this is much more direct and clear. it may not be "rib sticking", but it's delicious (speaking from personal experience because when i'm at hog island i usually get a dozen oysters, a glass of sancerre and a bowl of clam chowder).

I'm not sure where Hog Island gets their bread but it would make sense if they sourced it from ACME plus the epi bread looks very similar to what I had and the quality of it was top notch. I only wish I had honey butter to spead over that great bread!

Regional difference are a wonderful part of our country. As are accurate menu descriptions! :laugh: Thick or thin a chowder should contain at *least* more than ONE piece of potato. One of the things I like about chowder is how the potatoes absorb the delicious salty-oceany-bacony-creamy goodness of the chowder. C'mon, you have to agree that one potato piece does NOT a chowder make. I must add that the clams were nice and fresh and I had over 2 dozen.

After walking around the Ferry Building, I headed towards North Beach & Chinatown for some sightseeing. I was forunate enough to stumble upon (literally) Golden Gate Bakery in Chinatown. I love Chinese bakeries and the wonderful baked/steamed/fried goodies they sell. GGB is a nice mom and pop operation and if I lived in SF, I'd frequent this bakery for its delicious looking products. From what I know, Golden Gate's famous for their egg tarts (dan tats) and they usually sell out fast. Surprisingly, I got one fresh from the oven that night:

(Sorry for the blurry picture.)

gallery_19890_766_382813.jpg

You know, most dan tats are great fresh from the oven. It's like any baked good - fresher is better. This dan tat was $1.00 (!) and it was only a smidge bigger than standard dan tats. The crust was exceptional, very flaky with a rich mouthfeel. The "innards" were tasty but not as good at the dan tats at Egg Custard King in NYC. But a hot dan tat is a beautiful thing.

And yes, I did make it to IAO! More on that later.

gallery_19890_766_442398.jpg

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

Thick or thin a chowder should contain at *least* more than ONE piece of potato.  One of the things I like about chowder is how the potatoes absorb the delicious salty-oceany-bacony-creamy goodness of the chowder.  C'mon, you have to agree that one potato piece does NOT a chowder make.  I must add that the clams were nice and fresh and I had over 2 dozen.

imagine how you would have felt if the opposite were true! i probably would have wanted more than one piece of potato, too. maybe 3 or 4. but those clams do look great.

True but I love me some potatoes in my chowder and I wish I had more. :hmmm: Ah, well. OK so I'll post my thoughts on IAO burger (I had a cheeseburger with everything, small fries and a Diet coke) and on this lovely little banana tart from Miette. I :wub: Miette.

gallery_19890_766_183204.jpg

And yes, that's about an inch of pure, rich, heavenly whipped cream.

awesome choice on the stuff from Recchiuti Confections. They are FANTASTIC. I picked up two boxes of their outstanding Fleur de Sel caramels as gifts for some friends of mine. They were very well received. :)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

:wub: Miette. 

I've never been to Miette. I've always looked the other way when I'm at the Ferry Bldg because I already know of many great bakeries--I don't have to add one more!

But now that you have pierced my ignorance, I shall have to check out Miette on my next visit. :laugh:

That bread that came with the controversial chowder sure looks like Acme to me, a couple pieces off their wheat-sheaf shaped loaf. I don't know of anything else like it.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

Oh definitely check out Miette. It's totally totally worth it. That banana tart and the macarons - yummy!

Here's another thing I :wub: from Mijita at the Ferry Building. Ok, I only :wub: the fish taco as the carne asada and the beans were eh. (Why oh why were the meals at the Ferry Building eh? :huh: )

gallery_19890_766_297077.jpg

A close up of the tasty, delicious taco o' fish that I wish I could get over on the East Coast:

gallery_19890_766_227082.jpg

More details later.

Here's another thing I  :wub: from Mijita at the Ferry Building.  Ok, I only  :wub: the fish taco as the carne asada and the beans were eh.  (Why oh why were the meals at the Ferry Building eh?  :huh: )

They aren't my beans, in case you were curious.

If you go during the farmers market (Saturday am), be sure and check out the Primavera stall in the back. They are famous for their tamales and more recently, their chilaquiles.

And then come see me! I'm im in the front and it's almost like a food salon with all my foodie and bloggie friends. (Major shill: And if you want to try my beans when it's not a market, check out Village Market in the Ferry Building itself.)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray