• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the *one* thing to eat in San Fran?

Gastro888

I'll tenth the Ferry Building! You could easily spend all afternoon there. Acme bread will keep well for several days in its original paper bag. My favorite is their New York Rye, which is better than any rye bread I ever ate in NY (and I'm a native New Yorker!).

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Get some dungeness crab while it's still in season and be sure to get some oysters, too.

Than Long and Crustacean do a great roasted garlic crab, which I highly recommend. Other places around town also do a good whole roasted crab. Some of these are Yuet Lee at Stockton and Broadway (they are open until 3am, which is a good thing if you happen to be around enjoying some of the neighborhood's many diverse entertainment options), a place at Balboa and 42nd who's name escapes me but that also serves some dynamite greens and a delicious soy sauce egg custard, and various other places too numerous to mention. Basically, when it's in season just about every mom and pop Chinese restaurant has a whole roasted garlic or salt and pepper crab on the menu and you should be sure to try it.

I really love oysters and now is the time. We have some great local purveyors. Don't miss Hog Island Oyster company if you're in the Ferry Building, but if you really want to do it right trek out to Hog Island.

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

Thanks for all the hints! Will crabs be in season when I arrive next week? I've never had roasted crab before. Oh wow. I don't want to "waste time" commuting to a specific place; instead I'd prefer to maximize my eating time. I hope someone in the Ferry Building does roasted crabs!

Thanks for all the hints!  Will crabs be in season when I arrive next week?  I've never had roasted crab before. ...I hope someone in the Ferry Building does roasted crabs!

The local crab season is winding down, but crab should be readily available next week. The Slanted Door has roast crab as an appetizer for dinner, but not for lunch. http://slanteddoor.com/dinner.html

If you are really fixed on eating roast crab, Chinatown is not that far away from the Moscone Center.

Thank you so much for your help everyone! I am really looking forward to trying the foods in your city next week. The Ferry Building will be my first stop on Friday and hopefully I'll be able to try In and Out burger while I'm there.

Is there anything else besides sourdough that I should take home?

Thank you so much for your help everyone!  I am really looking forward to trying the foods in your city next week.  The Ferry Building will be my first stop on Friday and hopefully I'll be able to try In and Out burger while I'm there. 

Is there anything else besides sourdough that I should take home?

FYI - there is no In-N-Out at the Ferry Plaza. The burgers there are made by Taylor's Refresher which (in many people's opinion) are far superior, although more expensive. Personally, with all the other fabulous foods available at the Ferry Plaza, a burger is the last thing I would want to eat. Although Taylor's seared Ahi burger with Asian slaw as a condiment is my personal favorite.

OK, thank you Carolyn Tillie! I am very curious to try the raw bar that's in the Ferry Building. I love raw oysters and the chance to have really fresh seafood in SF is very tempting.

I understand your reservations about the In-And-Out burger but it's just one of those things that I need to try. It's like the time I went to Hawaii and I had to try the Spam musbui even though I knew it was just Spam, rice and teriyaki sauce!

I understand your reservations about the In-And-Out burger but it's just one of those things that I need to try.  It's like the time I went to Hawaii and I had to try the Spam musbui even though I knew it was just Spam, rice and teriyaki sauce!

Not so much reservations about In-N-Out as wanting to dispel the idea that you would be able to get one at the Ferry Plaza. I also completely understand your desire to try one -- you will simply have to do some investigation as to where to get one as their locations within the city itself are not necessarily very convenient.

Where are you arriving from (i.e., airport, car, train?) If, for example, you were flying into or out of Oakland, there is an In-N-Out VERY convenient to that airport, but not really convenient to SFO.

Oh, thank you! Yes, I've done some investigation and found the nearest IAO burger to be about 2 miles from me. Heck, I'll walk! I'll be flying into SFO and then taking a taxi to the hotel.

Oh, you just gave me a really good (naughty?) idea on how to get my burger. (Heh)

Check out the Bart system for getting from the airport to your hotel.

If you're staying downtown, this is an excellent idea. A cab ride from the airport will cost approx $40 with tip. BART will cost, I think $7, and take about the same amount of time.

Also, note there are two raw bars in the Ferry Building. One is Hog Island Oysters, which will likely be quite busy. You will probably have to wait for a seat. The other, right next door, is the San Francisco Fish Company. There will likely be seats available for immediate seating. I recommend waiting for a seat at Hog Island.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

...two miles may not seem like very much, but with all the hills in this city, it can be a bit more daunting than you realize.

Gastro, unless you're a very fit hiker, pls take Carolyn's advice. If you look at a map of the SF MUNI (Municipal Railway), you'll see that all the cable cars are located in this part of the city because of the steep hills. http://transit.511.org/providers/maps/SF_928200510805.pdf

However, this can be an opportunity for you to ride a cable car to IAO Burgers. The ride will be slow but scenic. Just ask for cable car directions when you arrive.

Thank you Raoul, Carolyn, eje and djyee100! I didn't know that the walk could be daunting. A cable car ride to IAO? Wow, that sounds great! I was thinking of taking a taxi from SFO to IAO but at those prices, maybe not. I'll check into the BART system for getting to and from the airport. Thanks for the hints!

I'll wait in line for Hog Island. I want to try a dozen fresh oysters there. I've only had raw oysters on the East Coast, I wonder how they'll be in SF?

If you don't want to do the cable-car trip to In-N-Out in SF, there is an In-N-Out Burger location just off of the Millbrae Ave. exit on 101 South, a smidge south of SFO. It's also very close to the Millbrae BART station (like across the street - maybe a block or so of walking total)... so... it wouldn't be too difficult to get to Millbrae and walk over to the In-N-Out on the way to/from SFO. You could either stop by when you first arrive in SF, or leave for the airport a little early and snag a burger, then hop back on BART to get to SFO.

Whatever you end up eating, enjoy!

OH! Thank you, StephMac! That's great. Although now, after watching a bit of the movie "Super Size Me" (okay, a little late to the party...) I'm leery of eating a burger from a fast food place. Unless IAO burger does theirs differently than McD?

One more week and I'll be at SFO! I can't wait to try the soughdough bread at the Ferry Building.

still in San Francisco... (stupid ice storm in Dallas)

I had good food experiences there. Despite my Tuesday dinner being a minor "bust" (I posted a thread looking for ideas), I had some good experiences.

House of Nanking on Monday night.. Not the greatest food, of course, but it's kind of fun. It's become a night before the Macworld Keynote tradition for us. We go. Show up. They seat us and then they just order food for us. We don't have a clue as to what we will get. And really, they do a nice job there. Each year, it tends to be a little different.

We hit the new food court at the renovated Westfield mall. We all enjoyed it. I got some sort of spicy chicken thing from a Japanese place. Others got bugers, mexican, etc. Topped off the meal with a cream puff from Beard Papa. This was so much better than hitting the show floor directly after they keynote and better than going to the Metreon for something since the mall place had a lot more options.

A couple of good things at the Ferry building. One day, lunch was at Boulettes Larder (or something like that). I had an awesome panna cotta for dessert. Looked like something you would be served in a top fine dining place. Tasted like it too. Another day, some friends joined me at Taylors Refresher. Very good. They really liked it. On Friday, after having lunch at Bistro Burger in the financial district, I walked back down to the Ferry Building for a plate of oysters at Hog Island. Oh so tasty!! :)

Thursday was interesting. I headed over to East Bay to meet up with a friend and her husband that live in Berkley. Went to a place called Cafe Tibet on University. II had never even thought of food from Tibet before. Pretty interesting. I enjoyed it.

On Friday night, I DID get to take two other people to Taddich Grill for dinner. We wound up sitting at the counter. Had a great meal. They really enjoyed everything about that place. Good drinks from the bar. Good, solid food. And they liked the service, too. It's executed well and efficient and professional.

But the neatest meal was probably at Macs Caffe. I had a nice, freshly made thin crust pizza, bottle of iced tea, and a chocolate chip cookie. That place was really crowded, too. And there was some special shopping afterwards. Where is this place? Address: 1 Infinite Loop. Cupertino, CA :)

oh... my BART fare from Powell St. station to SFO this morning was $5.15. FWIW, the fare machines DO take credit cards.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

OH!  Thank you, StephMac!  That's great.  Although now, after watching a bit of the movie "Super Size Me" (okay, a little late to the party...) I'm leery of eating a burger from a fast food place.  Unless IAO burger does theirs differently than McD?

One more week and I'll be at SFO!  I can't wait to try the soughdough bread at the Ferry Building.

Don't think badly of In-n-Out.. It's proof that chain fast food can be done correctly. I think someone else suggested the location at Fisherman's Warf. Taking the MUNI F line (using historic street cars) is a great way to get there. It can be crowded, but it's fun...

...Another day, some friends joined me at Taylors Refresher.  Very good.  They really liked it.  On Friday, after having lunch at Bistro Burger in the financial district, I walked back down to the Ferry Building for a plate of oysters at Hog Island.  Oh so tasty!!  :)...

What oysters did you have at Hog Island? Are there any West Coast oysters that I should specifically try while I'm out there? I love raw oysters and I'll bet they're alot better when they're closer to the source!

Glad you enjoyed your stay, J.S.! Tadich has been on my short-list of needing to try and I feel almost guilty I haven't been there yet.

Gastro, on the oyster thing, just ask your shucker what is fresh and local that day... I'm sure they'll guide you just fine. Lately, I've been eating a lot of Kumamotos and Sweetwater. A note on Hog Island; their "hog wash" is a fake mignonette that uses a lot of cilantro. I can't abide the stuff and stick with lemon juice.

I got a mix of oysters at Hog island. Can't recall which I had. I always forget that stuff. I too do not like the stuff (the "hog wash") that they serve with it. Maybe a little lemon. They also serve them with a wedge of lime. I mean, really, you don't need much. Don't want anything to get in the way of the brineyness of the oyster.

so what does a dozen raw oysters go for at Hog Island?

I've mentioned it before; but, the best time to go is on Monday and Thursday from 5-7 when they have their happy hour special. It's usually $1 an oyster of one variety or another.

I think otherwise, they're a couple bucks a piece.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA