• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the *one* thing to eat in San Fran?

Gastro888

I'll be on a business trip in San Fran and I would like to try some of great eats San Fran has to offer but alas, I've only one opportunity to eat on my own (weekday afternoon). Is there a farmer's market, cafe, bakery, ice cream shop, burger joint or anything unique that I can check out that's in walking distance from the Hilton near the convention center? Where would you go? Thank you in advance for your help!

PS: Also, what should I bring home that's a unique food item besides the sourdough?

The Ferry Building is about a mile from the convention center. There are lots of dining opportunities in there. If you do some searches I remember seeing a very detailed report with pictures of all the unique shops and food available.

Chinatown would also be a SF unique experience which is within walking distance.

Thanks majmaj40! I never heard of the Ferry Building. It looks like it has alot to offer. Neat stores!

How is the In-and-Out buger in SF? Is it worth the hike for me to get there (looks far from the convention center on the map)? I never tried it and have heard so many good things about it.

Thanks majmaj40!  I never heard of the Ferry Building.  It looks like it has alot to offer.  Neat stores!

How is the In-and-Out buger in SF?  Is it worth the hike for me to get there (looks far from the convention center on the map)?  I never tried it and have heard so many good things about it.

The IN-N-Out is just a short F Market Muni train ride from the Convention Center (I assume you're talking about the Moscone Center).

I like to eat at In-N-Out burgers when I am driving and the only other options are much worse. I can't say I would recommend it as "one" thing to eat in SF. Besides they have them in Arizona and Nevada, too.

I would recommend going to the Swann Oyster Depot or Tadich Grill for lunch. Both are classic San Francisco institutions. Oysters at Hog Island in the Ferry Building is also a good choice.

Others, who work downtown, should have some good recommendations for lunch/afternoon places.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Thank you, Bond Girl and eje!

Yes, the Moscone Center is where I'll be doing business. There are no In-and-Out burgers out East and I've heard alot about them, so I'm curious to try it out.

Oooh, oysters! That sounds divine.

Walking distance from Moscone center is Annabelle's. This month is Dining About Town and there is some good eats on the cheap.

A bit more upscale (and also walking distance from Moscone), is Ame which has had good reviews on this and other boards.

I second eje's Swann Oyster Depot recommendation. When we were in SF, we had the opportunity to eat many places. However, at Swann Oyster Deport, I felt most like a local instead of a tourist and felt like I had a true SF experience. Plus, I enjoyed really great seafood.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Oooh, thanks everyone!  Where can I find an "It's-It" and what exactly is it?

It's It

It's ice cream encased in two oatmeal cookies coated with chocolate. They are available at just about any convenience store or grocery in San Francisco.

Cheers!

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

pass on the it's it... TOOOOOOOO sweet to be a good ice cream cookie. go to mitchells ice cream...

and i trird (or fourth) the swann's recomendation... the brothers who own the place work the tiny counter and really make it a true SF experience.

If you only have one meal in SF, don't waste it on In-N-Out. Sure they're better than McD's, but they're not really that great. If you're on the way to the airport, though, and you need a bite to eat for the plane ride home, they might be a good option if you can't get your hands on a tasty loaf of bread and some good cheeses at the Ferry Terminal.

I still wouldn't bother, though...

I didn't get to spend much time in SF, but I did enjoy my food from the Mexican place inside Ferry Terminal. I think we had stuffed banana blossoms, and some kind of nacho-like dish where the tortilla chips are doused in chile sauce (can't remember the name). The guava juice was particularly refreshing. (caveat: I don't get much Mexican, so I make no claims about the restaurant's authenticity. It was might tasty, though.)

Chinatown is >2000 ft, or 1/2 mile away from Hilton. About 6 to 7 blocks. It is within walking distance but the return trip may be hard with a full tommy! :biggrin: But you can walk uphill 2 blocks and take the cable car, which would slide you right down along Powell back to Hilton.

SF Chinatown is bigger than the ones in Philly and NYC. More shops to browse and see. All the touristy things are on Grant, and the food-shops (fresh produce, dried seafood, herb, bakery, BBQ, etc.) are on Stockton.

If you do go: Check out AA Bakery for their baking stuff (dan tart, pineapple bao, cocktail bao and such), and right across the street - Gourmet Delight BBQ (1045 Stockton Street, 415-392-3288) - and check out their BBQ items. The roast pork and roast ducks are to die for! But take-out only.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Get lunch at slanted door.

A good choice, for sure. When he's there, he can check out the rest of the Ferry Building.

I'll be in town next week and plan on spending a lot of time at the Ferry Building. I figure it's a good way to get away from Moscone.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I'll cast my vote with the others and suggest that you go to the Ferry Building. It showcases some of the best foods in the SF Bay Area.

My recommendations:

* Acme Bread for sourdough bread or (Acme's name) "pain au levain." It's the bread brought to your table at Chez Panisse and Zuni Cafe.

* Cowgirl Creamery for local cheeses (made in West Marin county). I love Red Hawk cheese, my neighbor adores Pierce Point. Their cottage cheese will spoil you for the supermarket kind forever.

* Peet's Coffee. Major Dickason's Blend is one of their signature blends and a big favorite around here.

* Hog Island Oysters.

* Frog Hollow Farm. No fresh peaches now, but I would expect some of their excellent jams on sale.

* Scharffenberger Chocolate and Recchiuti Chocolates.

And while you're at the Ferry Building, you can go to lunch at The Slanted Door, as someone upthread recommended.

have fun!

Edited by djyee100 (log)

I can't believe so few of you are recommending taquerias. When I go to SF, the first thing I want to do is go to a taqueria. Later in my trip, I want to have good Thai food. And I also like to go to a place like Chow, whose inexpensive, high-quality organic ingredients are a unique pleasure for a New Yorker.

So which taquerias are the best at this time? And which Thai restaurants are the best (authentic and spicy only, please; no watered-down overpriced nonsense, because I can get that easily enough in New York and prefer not to).

Michael aka "Pan"

Thank you everyone! djyee, thanks for the great list of stores in the Ferry Building! I'm definitely going to head over there with your recommendations. I would love to try some place like Chow - where is that exactly?

Also, how long does sourdough bread last? If I bought it on a Friday early morning for a flight the next day how should I store it in the hotel room so it stays (relatively) fresh? I would like to bring some home to the East Coast with me.

Re: Keeping sourdough bread fresh

The bread should be fine for a couple days at least, as long as you don't cut into it. The thick crust should prevent the interior from drying out too much. I keep my bread at room temperature in the paper bag it's sold in. A day or two after the bread has been cut open, I put it in the refrigerator because of concerns about mold.

I suggest that you avoid putting the bread in a plastic bag--that makes the crust soft rather than crispy.

When you return home you can heat the bread in the oven slightly to soften the interior and recrisp the crust.

Does anybody else have ideas for keeping this bread fresh? I admit I'm not an expert about this.

Thank you everyone!  djyee, thanks for the great list of stores in the Ferry Building!  I'm definitely going to head over there with your recommendations.  I would love to try some place like Chow - where is that exactly?

Also, how long does sourdough bread last?  If I bought it on a Friday early morning for a flight the next day how should I store it in the hotel room so it stays (relatively) fresh?  I would like to bring some home to the East Coast with me.

There are two Chow locations in San Francisco. One on Market at Church in the Castro/Mission area. The other is on 9th Avenue near Irving in the Inner Sunset.

eGullet topic:

Chow, Good Value in SF

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I like Chow (both locations), but the restaurants are not that close to the Moscone Center. It would require a taxi or streetcar ride. http://www.bestofsanfrancisco.net/chow.htm and http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults...perty_id=294201

It's true that Chow is reasonably priced. I'm not sure how much of the menu is organic. Also, I wouldn't say that the food is distinctively or uniquely San Franciscan.

If you want to do organic vegetables, and you're willing to go farther from the Moscone Center, you may as well go to Greens Restaurant, which is a landmark restaurant in SF. http://www.greensrestaurant.com/ The view overlooking the Marina is wonderful, too.