• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you decide what to cook

LaurieB

I see things on websites (I follow updates on multiple food pages through Facebook, setting the pages so that I get notifications for every update) and in magazines and cookbooks that seem interesting, or my wife finds things or has cravings and tells me, or I find inspiration when dining out, or see something interesting at the local food co-ops or greengrocer, and I type them all in to a note in Evernote. At the beginning of the week  I look through the note and decide what I want.  Since I live about three minutes' drive from where I shop for my food, and said places are on my way to and from work anyway, I just shop for each day's meal that day.

• Like 3

On 10/1/2018 at 9:36 PM, Okanagancook said:

@Dante sweet!  Right now I have a lot of premade dinners in the freezer so I have break from cooking...recovering from garden produce in over abundance.

Thank you!  I sometimes think that I overplan, but it works for me. 

I need to work more on pre-making dinners, I've wanted to get back in to doing that.  They'd come in handy when I have things on my schedule for after work.  I know about over abundances of veggies too- it's both a frustrating and delightful place to be.

Edited by Dante (log)
  • Like 2

I used to work with a guy who, with his wife, had a beautiful home on the water, but were 'house poor'. They had the same things on each day of the week, i. e. kielbasa every Monday, spaghetti with leftover kielbasa every Tuesday, burgers every Wed..... As someone who enjoys cooking (and eating), I found the prospect of living like that more than depressing and it affected me profoundly. When I first moved out to where I now live, it was so rural, that there were not many markets in the area and I was kind of forced to plan out my meals or travel quite  bit more than I wanted to. As many more options moved into my area, I developed the habit of stopping in on the way home from work and making up the menu, based on what I saw. Today, I am more organized in a way, as I separate out the various flyers from the paper during the week, subscribe online to several more and go through them all to figure out what we are having on any given day. Today, for example, I saw frozen raw gulf shrimp on sale at a place that has killer rolls, and decided that we are having fried shrimp po'boys tonight.

HC

• Like 3

I can plan meals for a full seven days from Sunday to Sunday. It’s a piece of cake. The problem is by noon on Monday my interest has been caught by some recipe or Idea I’ve seen on the web or elsewhere and there goes my careful plan. And so it goes and I can’t change.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog