• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping for food in Key West

alligande

We go to Key West every year. Downtown is definitely restaurant/tourist shop stuff. There are many good restaurants.

But for food shopping to stock the hotel room or something, when we do it we go to the big regular grocery stores on the other side of the island. There's a Publix and a Winn-Dixie on North Roosevelt Boulevard.

Probably some local markets in the more residential areas but I haven't searched them out.

Fausto's, it is owned by the mayor. A friend of mine worked there for a season and said it was for real.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I've walked through the Fausto's on White street. It is close to some of the restauants we like to go to. Only wished I had a kitchen to cook in when in KW. We often stay in condos in the Key Colony Beach area near Marathon and go to KW for a day. Fausto's does have some very nice produce, meats and cheeses. The fish in Publix is going to be similar to fish at any Publix in the state. For seafood I would try to search out a real fish market that is getting it's fish from the local fisherman. I would expect Fausto's to have a good source of local fresh fish.

I live in Key West.

All the best seafood and good produce can be found at Waterfront Market on Caroline Street.

I go with Faustos on Fleming Street for produce and meat.

Best bakery: Cole's Peace on Eaton Street. (Can also be found at Waterfront if you're early.)

I always always always start at Waterfront and go from there.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe